Mississippi scratch box

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth I forgot to mention that shotgun has taken a Grand Slam.
Not by me but the old boy I bought off of had taken Eastern, Merriam, Osceola and Rio Grande with it.
I have only taken Eastern and Rio Grande.

Been years since I have seen a wild turkey around here that didn't pour out of a bottle. Even as a kid, gobblers were few and far between.

greybeard":3d7eouvm said:
Been years since I have seen a wild turkey around here that didn't pour out of a bottle. Even as a kid, gobblers were few and far between.

Have a good population over in the Bannister WMA on the east side of Sam Rayburn.
Alabama Creek WMA in Trinity County has a huning population as well.
Had a nice resident flock here until 2005 haven't seen or heard a turkey since hurricane Rita.

Caustic Burno":1gxqbuob said:
greybeard":1gxqbuob said:

Have a good population over in the Bannister WMA on the east side of Sam Rayburn.
Had a nice resident flock here until 2005 haven't seen or heard a turkey since hurricane Rita.

You know caustic that's kind of strange. I live about 30 miles east of Katrina's eye path, not a good place to be. Our turkey population as actually grown since the storm.

Caustic Burno":18yr5tff said:
Deepsouth I forgot to mention that shotgun has taken a Grand Slam.
Not by me but the old boy I bought off of had taken Eastern, Merriam, Osceola and Rio Grande with it.
I have only taken Eastern and Rio Grande.

That's pretty impressive. Just killing one would be an accomplishment . That's pretty die hard primitive weapon right there.

Deepsouth":2g8jn6s9 said:
Caustic Burno":2g8jn6s9 said:
greybeard":2g8jn6s9 said:

You know caustic that's kind of strange. I live about 30 miles east of Katrina's eye path, not a good place to be. Our turkey population as actually grown since the storm.

The eye of Rita went over the house here. I think the biggest factor was the destruction of old growth forest.
Both storms were really bad Rita was the most intense storm ever recorded in the Gulf.
When she came ashore the large old growth stands looked like dominoes. Woods that were park like to walk through
turned into saw briar thickets.
We didn't have a lot old growth left. I have traveled and hunted Ms and pine plantations are managed a lot different than here.
Turkey get in the plantation he is dead, trees are planted so thick it is hard to take flight. The plantations here are almost an
impenetrable jungle with yaupons and briars.
Thats my 2 cents for what it is worth, we never had alot to start with.
Maybe it was time to go the way of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker.

Latest posts