Mississippi scratch box

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth

Reaction score
where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far n
A buddy gave me a Mississippi scratch box call and I decided to give it a try this morning. I was pleased to say the least!

IMAG1716.jpg

IMAG1715.jpg

But DS that's a dead turkey........Your call didn't work so well on the live ones huh? :D

On one of my other ranches, the turkeys were so thick, I could step out side my back door and do a sick goble voice sound and they would all come strutin over answering me back.

Deepsouth, I think that you are from my home state. I love the sun shining on those feathers. Those are great pictures.

Nice bird!! Congrats on the harvest.

Our season started Saturday morning and it was raining so hard, you couldn't have heard a turkey gobble if he was strutting right next to you! Looks like we have some nice weather this week, so I will go out tomorrow!

Deepsouth":akbac506 said:
Do I eat it!? What kind of question is that? Of course I eat it! Everything but the shyt! I don't eat that or make my cows eat it. ;-) Sky when the season opens and you blow one off the roost I'll tell you how to cook that sucker.

I do too but alot here do not they give the whole bird away. The ones that do eat them cut only the breast out and toss the rest I do not I pluck it well my grandma does and we cook the whole thing. LMAO about the shyt. I will let you know and get that recipe you ever deep fried one?

skyhightree1":1z4b0t3t said:
Deepsouth":1z4b0t3t said:
Do I eat it!? What kind of question is that? Of course I eat it! Everything but the shyt! I don't eat that or make my cows eat it. ;-) Sky when the season opens and you blow one off the roost I'll tell you how to cook that sucker.

I do too but alot here do not they give the whole bird away. The ones that do eat them cut only the breast out and toss the rest I do not I pluck it well my grandma does and we cook the whole thing. LMAO about the shyt. I will let you know and get that recipe you ever deep fried one?

The only way we cook wild turkey is fry it. But its probably not way your talking about though. We cut the breast off of the bone. Then cut it across the grain into strips and fry the strips. Sort of like fried chicken strips. It is very good!

What do you mean your grandma pluck them!? What is that about? Some kind of Indian thing? What you going to do when she's gone? Start giving it away.

Deepsouth":kzi9opft said:
Caustic, are you serious or are you feeding me some shyt? There's been a lot of that going on lately.

Is that a shoot gun? I know a guy who killed a few turkeys with one.

From what I know about CB he's shooting you straight. you see when he was young all they had was rocks and sticks and then someone invented a flintlock and that's his gun of choice.

Deepsouth":jwkh8e6o said:
skyhightree1":jwkh8e6o said:
Deepsouth":jwkh8e6o said:

The only way we cook wild turkey is fry it. But its probably not way your talking about though. We cut the breast off of the bone. Then cut it across the grain into strips and fry the strips. Sort of like fried chicken strips. It is very good!

I will definately try it and get your recipe from you. How many birds can you take a year?

Deepsouth":16a7a2jq said:
Caustic, are you serious or are you feeding me some shyt? There's been a lot of that going on lately.

Is that a shoot gun? I know a guy who killed a few turkeys with one.

Yes sir that is a 12 gauge shotgun I have killed several deer with it as well.
During turkey season I just tote that one.
Dove hunting and squirrel hunting with one will separate the men from the boy's.
I have another one when deer hunting in black powder season I tote both.
One slung over my shoulder the other ready to put venison in the grinder.
If I shoot one and he goes to get up I drop the one I just shot and use the one on my shoulder.
The one in pic is choked mod.
I have an H&R Huntsman like this one in much better shape choked Cyl.
You learn to choke your patterns with wad's.
When I go real primitive I use wasp nest for wad.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =404704854

Latest posts