Minimum horsepower for a 15' drill?

Help Support CattleToday:

I would guess you wouldnt want anything less than 100hp. I have a 13' drill that weighs about 3200 lbs empty... Pull it with an IH 1086 (about 115 or 120 hp) handles it pretty well when full...

I pulled a 12 fotter with a 45 horse with no problem. But it depends on the drill. My old Van Brunt doesn;t way much

dun

He is running a 95 hp 4WD Kubota according to his other post on this subject in another thread.

I drag an 18 foot disc and triple row spring harrows with only 10 more hp. My neighbour drags that same disc with about 80 hp.

We also run a slightly larger no till with only 100 hp and have power left over.

Anyone dragging this stuff with a two wheel drive may argue - but with 4WD the pull is well placed between the front and rear axles - especially if he carries a loader or front weights.

He has a ton of excess power here. He will be able to train out a light set of harrows and if he wants, a packer as well.

As a newbie his biggest challenge will not be dragging this equipment around, it will be using the drill to maximum effectiveness. But thast is the fun of farming.

Have fun and enjoy seeding - a job I hate with a passion - so my neighbour runs the drill and I run the other stuff.

Bez>

Latest posts