minerals and etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

I've been using VitaFerm Cattlemans Blend and really like it, so do the cattle. :cboy:

Been feeding mineral with Rabon since last of Feb. still have flys. I mix prolate and diesel for my rubs and that seems to help. We were spraying with permethrin 4oz with 15gal water works for 2 days. We have found that spraying a mix of Ivermectin 1/4 parts to 3/4 parts diesel fuel WORKS for 2 weeks. Just applied our 2nd. treatment yesterday and they are fly free today.

highgrit":3fgk0fsc said:
Been feeding mineral with Rabon since last of Feb. still have flys. I mix prolate and diesel for my rubs and that seems to help. We were spraying with permethrin 4oz with 15gal water works for 2 days. We have found that spraying a mix of Ivermectin 1/4 parts to 3/4 parts diesel fuel WORKS for 2 weeks. Just applied our 2nd. treatment yesterday and they are fly free today.

The flies seem to be worse than usual this year for some reason, it normally isn't much of a problem. I just got some Permectrin CDS to pour on, hope it works more than two weeks!

highgrit":2dtp3y2u said:

at least you put it out early as you should have, but it never hurts to pen the cattle and spray once to kill all the existing flys you can and then let the mineral help out. Only draw back to the mineral is making sure you feed one that is formulated well enough to actually entice the cattle to consume it at the recommended rate. Nothing gets rid of all of them but should help control them. Helps if the neighbors do the same.

highgrit":19tutjtz said:
There is no silver bullet, i.e. one thing that will totally address tthe fly issues. When we work them we use UltraBoss pour on. We feed Mineral with IGR before the flys appear and have wipes with permectin and diesel. That along with rotational grazing has been highly effective at diminishing the flys to a non-problem level. For horse flys about the best you cna do is to prevent wet areas like around feeders and waterers

I am new here I like what I have heard though and why I am commenting I'm young and trying to learn as much as possible so Iplease take it easy on me but my Grandpa and I have been using the purina mineral tub for the last year or so now and I would have to say it has had a very positive effect on our heifers (which are the ones I am the most worried about when it comes to stress and having the right amount of minerals to keep them healthy.) Im just wondering if anyone else has used the tubs over the loose mineral because I have to say I am more of a fan of the tubs than the loose as being they love the tubs and you don't have to worry about putting out near as often(much easier since I am currently at college and only available back home once every two weeks.) When it comes to flies I have tried the permetherin a many times and tried mixing it up by using pour on (names I can't recall at the moment) without luck I am currently in the process of trying the IGR form of mineral tub by purina but I have heard from others that if neighbors don't use it you are just wasting your money is this true? I believe I am going to try the 1/4 Ivermectin with 3/4 diesel on rubs and see what happens.

External parasites need to be handled through multiple ways, IGR by itself, rubs by themselves, pour ons by themselves isn't going to do the job. The IGR has to be started before fly season to be as effective as it can be. Early in the year when using IGR for the first time you won;t see much of an improvement simpley because you're dealing with flys that over wintered as larvae from the previous year.
Ivermectin (a wormer) in a rub will lead to other issues. Parasite resistance for worming purposes, possible over dosing are the 2 that come first to mind.
No matter what methods you use you will never reduce flys to zero, the idea is to keep the fly levels low enough so as to not cause problems for the cattle from either pestering, spreading of diease/infection (i.e. pink eye) or blood loss.

That Permectrin CDS really did the job on the flies, they are gone! I noticed it has about 30% more of the active ingredients vs. some of the others. Now we see how long it lasts.

I started using Safe-Guard pellet top dress wormer last year and it's done a great job, between it and the Vita-Ferm the cattle have never looked better, I would say some of the bigger cows have gained about 150 to 200 pounds over what they have typically weighed in the past.

Just scanned this. Nobody I seen mentioned that IGR only takes care of one type of fly. Horn I think. I have rubs on my salt boxes. That helps with the horn and face flies. IDK, feed man says a fly can only travel a 1/2 mile. University says 5 miles. Guess Ive never done the IGR. Heard guys that swear by it, and maybe the timming is the big part of success.

Amo":1i2to45e said:
Just scanned this. Nobody I seen mentioned that IGR only takes care of one type of fly. Horn I think. I have rubs on my salt boxes. That helps with the horn and face flies. IDK, feed man says a fly can only travel a 1/2 mile. University says 5 miles. Guess Ive never done the IGR. Heard guys that swear by it, and maybe the timming is the big part of success.

Down in this area it doesn't hurt to feed a mineral with IGR year round due to the mild winters. IGR as well as Rabon will help control face flies as well IF the product is in the manure when the fly lays it's eggs.

Latest posts