mineral feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I know about the hanging barrel idea but it won't work for me because of location. Last year with stockers I just put a huge bucket out with heavy bricks in the bottom and pour mineral in that. But even under a big heavy tree it still got pretty wet. I'm a cheapskate when I can be so what's the best&cheapest mineral feeder I can get or make?

tncattle":12w2ue4l said:
I know about the hanging barrel idea but it won't work for me because of location. Last year with stockers I just put a huge bucket out with heavy bricks in the bottom and pour mineral in that. But even under a big heavy tree it still got pretty wet. I'm a cheapskate when I can be so what's the best&cheapest mineral feeder I can get or make?
I really like the ones Jed uses( makes) they are made from the chemical totes and work real well and they do a good job of keeping the mineral dry

You can Google how build a mineral feeder and take your pick. I built mine outta pressure treated and cypress, lag bolted used grader blades on the skids and drag it all around. My son hasen't tore them up yet, but the bulls are he77 on them.

tncattle":1er0ee4l said:
I guess I'm a cheap skate. I use an plastic tub left over from a molasses tub attached to a tree. Gettin' wet don't hurt it. It will dry out but if i cakes up hard just stir it up again. You lose nothing.

i use the bull mineral feeders,the kind that sit flat on the ground and u stake them.they cost $100. the mineral does not get wet.i bought 2 new ones about a year ago and they look the same as when i bought them.

I use round rubber feed tubs about 16" across and leave them out in the weather, move them every few days to save the grass, don't worry about it getting wet. Bigger rubber tubs get stepped in and pooped in much more. Have tried permanent feeders and the whole area turns into a big mudhole.

Just curious to see if any of you have made one of these mineral feeders? It looks like a good idea, my only concern would be how dry would it keep the mineral? I'm wondering if it would work just as well without being secured by the tire but secured to a tree instead.

Video link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlnDfWWe ... ata_player

60a20e76.jpg

TxBrangus":3cai4sx8 said:
Just curious to see if any of you have made one of these mineral feeders? It looks like a good idea, my only concern would be how dry would it keep the mineral? I'm wondering if it would work just as well without being secured by the tire but secured to a tree instead.

Video link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlnDfWWe ... ata_player

60a20e76.jpg
If you hang it from a tree with the hanging attachment at the top rear it will rotate in the wind and keep the minerals dry

tncattle":75jm5yju said:
Why won't it work?

In the barn, I use a rubber tub. But I get an old used tire and put the tub inside the tire. In the field, I bought some from a local feed store that is partially covered and turns with the wind. It cost $123.00 per feeder.

jedstivers":1owitrrd said:
tncattle":1owitrrd said:
Why won't it work?
That's what I wanted to ask. If he's putting a tub under a tree, why can't you HANG one under the tree. I've been using the hanging bucket, like Dun's pic, since before Dun started doing it - and that's a real long time!!! :nod:

jedstivers":1ln3spjy said:
Angus Cowman":1ln3spjy said:
here is a pic of Jed's mineral feeders they are cheap and keep the mineral dry and are easy to move around
By cheap he means free, I get lots of them.
Having a source for them would work great. Don't know how many they sell but the food grade ones are on Craigslist all the time here for $75 - $125 a pop. Occasionally see one that had some type of glow-in-the-dark chemical for $50 or $60.

We removed a busted tank from one and use it to haul the grandkids 4-H feeder pigs when they're still small.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":34nwgatj said:
Jed - I like it!!! I've seen those crates sitting around at my Amish neighbors. That would be a great addition to our hanging drums when you don't have anything to hang one from :shock:
That's why I had think of something that we could use. Nowhere to hang the drums, except from a Center Pivot an I didn't want to do that. They hold alot more too.