Mineral feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

I built one from a plastic barrel and hung it from a branch under a loafing tree about 15 or so yrs ago. Cows are gone but barrel still hanging. The cows took to it right away without a problem. I think the original plan was credited to Dun.Those of us who have been around for some time remember him well. I will try to remember to get photos next time I go there.
Do you have a picture of it

Do you have a picture of it
I took some from each side and a couple of how I rigged it so that it hangs at an angle. This prevents to water from running inside. I have never noticed my mineral to get wet in all ythe yrs I used it. Perhaps the tree protected it some. Worked well for me but I didn't have to move it. It also keeps boss cow from hogging it because as soon as she pulls head out it swings to the side and another one gets it. They learn fast.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 14
  • -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
I built one from a plastic barrel and hung it from a branch under a loafing tree about 15 or so yrs ago. Cows are gone but barrel still hanging. The cows took to it right away without a problem. I think the original plan was credited to Dun.Those of us who have been around for some time remember him well. I will try to remember to get photos next time I go there.
I taught Dun how to make them!!!

The cattle have figured out how to use them, but this morning had one turned over with about 150 lbs. of minerals spread out. I recently bought two more locally an around the bottom already warped up (not as good as the Rural King I ordered). They cost plenty, but quality is just not there. One would think these would last a few years.

Last edited:
The cattle have figured out how to use them, but this morning had one turned over with about 150 lbs. of minerals spread out. I recently bought two more locally an around the bottom already warped up (not as good as the Rural King I ordered). They cost plenty, but quality is just not there. One would think these would last a few years.
They have these concrete ones at the Proteam auction next week. I'll bet they don't turn them over!
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJid3BhcGVyY2xpcC1wcm9kdWN0aW9uIiwidXNlX2VmcyI6dHJ1ZSwia2V5IjoiaXRlbV9pbWFnZXMvYX...jpg

I have Vigortone feeders. The only time they get tipped over is when they are empty. I would summize a bull would play heck with them if bored. My feeders hold up extremely well. Never have had to replace one. Been using for maybe 9 years. We do have to replace the rubber lids.

I have Vigortone feeders. The only time they get tipped over is when they are empty. I would summize a bull would play heck with them if bored. My feeders hold up extremely well. Never have had to replace one. Been using for maybe 9 years. We do have to replace the rubber lids.

Same here with my vitaferm feeders. I know they are empty when it's across the paddock flipped over. Lol. But they don't flip them with mineral in them, thankfully.

Latest posts