Mineral Cost

Help Support CattleToday:

bird dog":v3eyk55u said:
The $24 is with IGR. I have not priced it without in a while. Don't really have an opinion on Vigortone, its just what is sold locally so I used them as a comparison. Its hard for a simpleton like me to judge one from the other by looking at the ingredient tag. The product I use is from Nutrition Plus. Maybe the worst product on the market, but the cows seem to look good and and my calving rate is better than the averages, so I judge the mineral as being okay.

Do you know a better option?
Not knowing the guarantees I have no idea what's in it nor how much. I think you really need vitamins but as long as you are comfortable with it I wouldn't change a thing.

gcreekrch":1epdpxw2 said:
bird dog":1epdpxw2 said:
"Can't imagine why it would have gone up that much other than just the opportunity to gouge you."

I looked at my receipt and is really about $300 a ton or $7.50 a bag. Maybe they are gauging me? The Vigortone IGR with similar ingredients at the feed store is about $35 a bag. I am paying $24 with no vitamins.

Nice price, we pay in the neighbourhood of $1600 per tonne for our custom mix mineral. We do add BioMoss and Rumensin to it.
Wow, GC.....is that pesos?? lolol.....Pretty expensive but may well be worth it as well.

We haven't for our mineral yet for this year but on wormers we haven't wormed most of the cow herd for I think it is close to 5 years now and we have pulled fecal samples on several that look poor and the vet has said it's not high just average. We did have coccidiosis outbreak couple years ago but put corid in the water and didn't have a problem after. We do rotational grazing probably helps some to.

We don't routinely worm our cows, just the ones that seem thin, or have real rough coats or don't want to shed off. But we use DE in out feed and mineral and it has seemed to take care of the worm problem pretty much. We also cull for "poor doers" and unthriftiness. We also do alot of rotational grazing too. We haven't done more than an occasional spot check for worms and it has been low.

TexasBred":2s3wjacm said:
gcreekrch":2s3wjacm said:
bird dog":2s3wjacm said:
"Can't imagine why it would have gone up that much other than just the opportunity to gouge you."

I looked at my receipt and is really about $300 a ton or $7.50 a bag. Maybe they are gauging me? The Vigortone IGR with similar ingredients at the feed store is about $35 a bag. I am paying $24 with no vitamins.

Nice price, we pay in the neighbourhood of $1600 per tonne for our custom mix mineral. We do add BioMoss and Rumensin to it.
Wow, GC.....is that pesos?? lolol.....Pretty expensive but may well be worth it as well.

Seems to make a difference from when we didn't use any and a big difference once we knew what it was capable of when designed for this Ranch specifically.

gcreekrch":1kk86t5y said:
TexasBred":1kk86t5y said:
gcreekrch":1kk86t5y said:

Seems to make a difference from when we didn't use any and a big difference once we knew what it was capable of when designed for this Ranch specifically.
Sure would like to see the guarantees on it, feeding rate, and what might be in it other than standard vitamins and minerals. This is just extremely expensive even for a custom mineral.

TexasBred":26111tm9 said:
gcreekrch":26111tm9 said:
TexasBred":26111tm9 said:

Sure would like to see the guarantees on it, feeding rate, and what might be in it other than standard vitamins and minerals. This is just extremely expensive even for a custom mineral.

This is Canada Eh........

I will try to find an ingredients slip. Rumensin and Bio Moss are added. Lots of copper, less phos and cal as we have lots in the feed.

There are only 2 mills in BC that make mineral for custon orders. This is cheap compared to the generic stuff at the feed store.

TB or anybody else, what does the vitamin A or whatever is so expensive do for cattle? Asked them to mix me some, leave that teaspoon of whatever out, they want me to just go down a grade and keep whatever the vitamin is, can't wrap my head around it, unless it's there big money maker. Don't know

bse":2bw6h8cu said:
TB or anybody else, what does the vitamin A or whatever is so expensive do for cattle? Asked them to mix me some, leave that teaspoon of whatever out, they want me to just go down a grade and keep whatever the vitamin is, can't wrap my head around it, unless it's there big money maker. Don't know
This will give you a better explanation than I ever could:
Vitamin A is an important immune system nutrient. Vitamin A has a significant role in providing immunologic protections against viral, bacterial and protozoan infections. The function of virtually all immune cells (neutrophils, macrophages, NK cells, T and B lymphocytes etc.) are affected by vitamin A. Vitamin A is associated with the maintenance of the protective mucous membranes of the respiratory and digestive tracts.

It is thought that a deficiency in vitamin A causes damage to these membranes which allows bacteria and viruses an opportunity for invasion. Overall vitamin A deficiency rather than vitamin A excess through
supplementation has the most profound and significant effects on the immune system. It has been suggested that in cases of BRD a vitamin A injection to calves known to be deficient or marginal in vitamin A status would benefit the animal and its immune system by rapidly increasing body stores of vitamin A.
It also functions in visual purple, a compound in the eye needed for sight when an animal adapts from light to dark. Vitamin A is also essential for proper kidney function and normal development of bones, teeth and nerve tissue. Vitamin A deficiency results in tissue changes associated with vision, bone development,
skin and the digestive tract. One of the first easily detected signs of vitamin A deficiency in cattle is night blindness. An easy way to check for this condition is to place an obstacle in pathway of cattle and notice if they stumble over it at twilight. Other early signs are loss of appetite, rough hair coat, dull eyes, slowed gains and reduced feed efficiency. Diarrhea and pneumonia may be the first indicators, especially in young animals. Later developments include excessive watering of the eyes, staggering gait, lameness or stiffness in the knees and hock joints and swelling of the legs and brisket (and sometimes in the abdominal region). Feedlot cattle with advanced vitamin A deficiency often pant excessively at high temperatures and go
into convulsions when excited. Signs of vitamin A deficiency in breeding herds include lowered
fertility and calving percentage

Thanks TB that sums it up pretty good, seems it does a lot, think ill just pay the cost and move on.

Now I heard (but forget were) that vitamins have a very short shelf life and by the time most minerals are consumed the vitamins are virtually gone

Any comments on that?

TB think it was asked about shelf life, found some a yr old, cost at last yrs price, will the fly control and everything else be effective?
Bird dog I think the injectable only has a few things, zinc, manganese, selenium and copper. May lack alot of stuff, that crossed my mind.

Chocolate Cow2":157zldj7 said:
TexasBred-I tried to like your answer but it won't let me. That's a great explanation of Vitamin A. Thanks.

lolol, it won't let me like anyone's post either. I think we're being censored. lolol;-)

bse, I am still putting out free choice mineral, I just had them remove the vitamin package until this supply problem shakes out. I will give the cows a E-AD vitamin injection at next work. The vet commented that it might be a better way to go anyway because of the assurance that all get what they need.

bird dog, gotcha, i checked into that route just leave that out, cost was gonna be more than if i just pay up and move on, may need to shop around, just happy with what i use.

I bought a year supply of purina mineral today. Seemed to be priced similar to past years. However I priced a couple other brands of mineral before purchasing and prices were significantly higher.

Latest posts