Mineral Consumption?

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":28dzch3g said:
You might want to consider simply talking to your feed store people. Unpalatable minerals don't usually sell very well, and they will be aware of this and can point you in the appropriate direction, as well as help you choose a mineral that will fulfill your needs.

Really good advice in my opinion

Brute 23":342v8y7d said:
KMacGinley":342v8y7d said:
Why are you feeding one bag of mineral and 1 bag of salt?

Why not just a good free choice mineral. They will get all of their salt from that.

That is what some other people said on the first page. ;-)

Sorry there Brute... I guess I missed that, but then again it says not to feed any other source of salt on the label of your free choice mineral and you missed that I guess. ;-)

Brute 23":3m5gh1qz said:
I was putting reciets in the computer yesterday and noticed that the cattle were eating;

1bag of mineral and 1bag of salt/ 25 head/ month

IS that high, low, average?
gruebel.gif

As others have stated, mineral consumption can vary from season to season, year to year. Right now our cattle are consuming about 6-7 oz./day per animal unit. This year they seem to be consuming more than normal.

Brute, check the list of ingredients for "plant protein products" as well as "molasses products". This would indicate the mineral has some c/s meal and hopefully some dried molasses to make it more palatable as phosphate and calcium are not real tasty to say the least. Cattle fed a well balanced ration often do not need additional vitamins and minerals and the mineral will simply lay in the feeder forever. That is not always bad :D

Latest posts