Mexican Vultures Try to Kill Newborn Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowgirl8 You do as you please. I will keep on with I do. They may get one of mine but I have got lots of them. The more distance the bigger the gun. A 300 Winchester Mag will really reach out and touch them.

Deepsouth":2lqud6vz said:
:( I caught a baby sasquatch (bigfoot) about 20 years ago. I raised him in the woods behind the cow pasture. Over time the cows got use to him and he got attached to the cows. He got really protective of them which really was great for me. No dogs, coyotes or anything else would go near my cows. He would also chase the buzzards away. I always kept him hid the best I could because I didn't want the game wardens to take him away. One evening a strange dog was crossing the pasture during calving season. The cows got after the dog and was chasing him across the field when big boy spotted the commotion. Big boy is what I called him. Big boy began running after the cows to help them Chase the dog off. About that time a hunter was driving by my field and saw a dog and a herd of cows being chased by a bigfoot. He jumped out of his truck and shot big boy dead. :( He then came to the house and told me what had happened and that he had saved my dog and cows from the creature. I didn't even try to explain to him what had happened. I thanked him and told him I would take care of it. I buried big boy and have been fighting buzzards, coyotes and dogs ever since.
Maybe one day you'll find a Big Boy Jr and we all can spend days and days discussing him..

Well, thanks to the Migratory Bird Act of 1918, it is a federal violation to so much as ruffle a feather. They will issue permits, but you have to go through USFWS. Get caught shooting one without a permit and it will cost you more than a calf. If I were to take care of such problems in house, I wouldn't say anything about it to anyone I didn't know well, definitely not on the internet. Some of the peoples that enforce those kinds of laws are getting more lazy these days and prefer surfing the web to traipsing around in tick-infested woods to get their quota. Not trying to argue with anyone, just pointing out where you stand, from a legal perspective. The dead buzzard trick has been scientifically proven to keep them away. You can actually buy "buzzard effigies", (fake dead buzzards) for that purpose. Other non lethal options include flash-bang devices, I think they call them bird-bangers, shoot them out of a 12 Ga. Not very effective. If you can find the roost, they like pines, somewhere with a good view, you can slip in there real quiet before daylight, this is how you get the hoard. What you do once your in there I'll leave to imagination. If you just want to move them out, a laser pointer freaks them out, particularly a green laser pointer. They cant tolerate that flashing on their feathers. Works on waterfowl too. Might be a good option for anybody close to town, to move out the scouts, make them uncomfortable, go hang out some place else. Not leaving afterbirth laying around will help, too, probably the best thing you can do. We are fortunate enough not to have too many up here, and just in summer.

Lazy M":1pc8gm1h said:
Deepsouth":1pc8gm1h said:
:( I caught a baby sasquatch (bigfoot) about 20 years ago. I raised him in the woods behind the cow pasture. Over time the cows got use to him and he got attached to the cows. He got really protective of them which really was great for me. No dogs, coyotes or anything else would go near my cows. He would also chase the buzzards away. I always kept him hid the best I could because I didn't want the game wardens to take him away. One evening a strange dog was crossing the pasture during calving season. The cows got after the dog and was chasing him across the field when big boy spotted the commotion. Big boy is what I called him. Big boy began running after the cows to help them Chase the dog off. About that time a hunter was driving by my field and saw a dog and a herd of cows being chased by a bigfoot. He jumped out of his truck and shot big boy dead. :( He then came to the house and told me what had happened and that he had saved my dog and cows from the creature. I didn't even try to explain to him what had happened. I thanked him and told him I would take care of it. I buried big boy and have been fighting buzzards, coyotes and dogs ever since.
Maybe one day you'll find a Big Boy Jr and we all can spend days and days discussing him..

I sure hope so! If he does come along there's one thing you can bet on. I'm not culling him no matter what anybody says about him! :tiphat:

Deepsouth":38wgoflc said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There was a male Bigfoot that lived in the loft of my hay barn for over a year. A big lady who lived alone in an old farm house not far from me had an affair with him. I know because she left her panties behind a couple of times. There is only one lady in the county that size. Nice lady and I became friends with the Bigfoot. I called him Big Foot. They made a nice couple but she was a bit bigger than him. A female Bigfoot came through and Big Foot ran off with her. The lady has never recovered. Suffers from severe depression. I have taken up with her (friendship only).

Andyva":126z8dgl said:
Well, thanks to the Migratory Bird Act of 1918, it is a federal violation to so much as ruffle a feather. They will issue permits, but you have to go through USFWS. Get caught shooting one without a permit and it will cost you more than a calf. If I were to take care of such problems in house, I wouldn't say anything about it to anyone I didn't know well, definitely not on the internet. Some of the peoples that enforce those kinds of laws are getting more lazy these days and prefer surfing the web to traipsing around in tick-infested woods to get their quota. Not trying to argue with anyone, just pointing out where you stand, from a legal perspective. The dead buzzard trick has been scientifically proven to keep them away. You can actually buy "buzzard effigies", (fake dead buzzards) for that purpose. Other non lethal options include flash-bang devices, I think they call them bird-bangers, shoot them out of a 12 Ga. Not very effective. If you can find the roost, they like pines, somewhere with a good view, you can slip in there real quiet before daylight, this is how you get the hoard. What you do once your in there I'll leave to imagination. If you just want to move them out, a laser pointer freaks them out, particularly a green laser pointer. They cant tolerate that flashing on their feathers. Works on waterfowl too. Might be a good option for anybody close to town, to move out the scouts, make them uncomfortable, go hang out some place else. Not leaving afterbirth laying around will help, too, probably the best thing you can do. We are fortunate enough not to have too many up here, and just in summer.
OMG, who are you...........finally someone who knows what they are talking about. There is another post where someone argued about getting permits, said i was crazy. We've thought about applying, but never followed through but we did have an official out.. Yeah, talking about killing a protected bird on the internet just shows how smart these guys are. We were told buy the USFWS that we could make effigies so i did and it made no difference. I've found the only way i can control them is to keep anything they want to eat invisible. Our loss was 0 this year, but did almost lose one to infection after getting a peck on his tongue as he was being born. Can you believe that one fella here said that the way his friend caught them was by digging a deep hole and dumping dead vultures in it. Said the live ones go down in the hole. He made this up because he said keeping afterbirths picked up was worthless and that i was dumping them down animal holes was even stupider...lol

cowgirl8":2gmrm9up said:
Andyva":2gmrm9up said:
OMG, who are you...........finally someone who knows what they are talking about. There is another post where someone argued about getting permits, said i was crazy. We've thought about applying, but never followed through but we did have an official out.. Yeah, talking about killing a protected bird on the internet just shows how smart these guys are. We were told buy the USFWS that we could make effigies so i did and it made no difference. I've found the only way i can control them is to keep anything they want to eat invisible. Our loss was 0 this year, but did almost lose one to infection after getting a peck on his tongue as he was being born. Can you believe that one fella here said that the way his friend caught them was by digging a deep hole and dumping dead vultures in it. Said the live ones go down in the hole. He made this up because he said keeping afterbirths picked up was worthless and that i was dumping them down animal holes was even stupider...lol

First, please know I am not harassing. I think we all know it is illegal to kill migratory birds and yes there are permits to allow you to do so.

I spent 33 years in various roles as a United States Civil Servant. All of it was in an enforcement capacity. I have testified before Administrative law judges, civil and criminal courts, etc. I have put more than my fair share of time in the witness chair. If you are of the persuasion that what is stated on the internet is useful in enforcement, you are over playing your hand. The veracity of what I say here is worth less than a cup of cold water. Just go check my post about a Bigfoot living in my barn loft. I can state a thousand times that I kill every migratory bird that flys over my farm and when the Federal enforcement agent comes to take my deposition, I will tell him I am the biggest liar that every posted a message on CT. In fact, I will even state that my dog Blue does not really talk.

I kill every Mexican Vulture I can. I even try to hit them when I see them eating a dead possum on the road. Now you go prove that.
BTW: Many years ago. I was at a dove shoot that was baited. (Doves are under the migratory bird statutes). It was an annual event at a rich friends farm near Cynthiana KY. The state and federal agents raided it one year. They didn't catch me. :D .

We live in different times....
I live near a big duck hunting area...one shot goes off and the officials are swarming around. Just depends on the area you live in. Although, if you can prove they were endangering your herd, i think you'd be excused now. Its just i've found that if you take the time, nothing has to die.. They do provide cleanup, its just the other part thats bad. I heard in texas you can get compensated for losses to these birds...

OMG, who are you...........finally someone who knows what they are talking about. There is another post where someone argued about getting permits, said i was crazy. We've thought about applying, but never followed through but we did have an official out.. Yeah, talking about killing a protected bird on the internet just shows how smart these guys are. We were told buy the USFWS that we could make effigies so i did and it made no difference. I've found the only way i can control them is to keep anything they want to eat invisible. Our loss was 0 this year, but did almost lose one to infection after getting a peck on his tongue as he was being born. Can you believe that one fella here said that the way his friend caught them was by digging a deep hole and dumping dead vultures in it. Said the live ones go down in the hole. He made this up because he said keeping afterbirths picked up was worthless and that i was dumping them down animal holes was even stupider...lol[/quote]

Yep bunch of dumbazzes on here.. spoutin off things they shouldnt. me included. How do u know some of us DONT have permits, OR relatives that are game wardens? It does take a while to get the permit, but yes, it does help. Better than a $15K fine or jail sentence. My point is this.. . most turkey vultures are not the problem.. its the blacks, or mexican vultures as some call them. Yes, they have killed a few of my calves, I know for a fact. I dont like em one bit, same as with stray dogs chasin my cattle.

Limomike":jtlajnz0 said:

Yep bunch of dumbazzes on here.. spoutin off things they shouldnt. me included. How do u know some of us DONT have permits, OR relatives that are game wardens? It does take a while to get the permit, but yes, it does help. Better than a $15K fine or jail sentence. My point is this.. . most turkey vultures are not the problem.. its the blacks, or mexican vultures as some call them. Yes, they have killed a few of my calves, I know for a fact. I dont like em one bit, same as with stray dogs chasin my cattle.[/quote]
They've argued that there is no such thing as a permit...Where i live, you better have one. Local officers are not problem, but those guys here trying to catch illegal duck hunters are another story...they arent local... The way i do it its been years since i've lost anything but sleep...

chippie":30q99wc2 said:
We have a Great Pyrenees dog. He keeps them at bay and they leave.
Last month he was in our neighbor's pasture protecting a cow and her calf. He is a great dog.

Ours chases them too! She chases any bird. She's a fabulous gaurdian! Gentle with the calves and goats as well as the chickens. She's good with the cows and they don't get too rattled with her around. She was raised with all these creatures.

As for other methods of makeing those dreaded birds go away, you could try constant harrassment, guns, chasing, etc. They can be a big problem. I have NO issue with Turkey Vultures, I welcome them.

Katherine

You folks may have to have a permit, I don't. Local Game Warden here will tell you to kill them if they are causing trouble. I don't care what it is if it causing my stock trouble its on short notice.

I've never seen these birds before, but I do have a LOT of bald eagles around here. One day we saw 8 of them fighting over something in the field behind our mailbox... One pair lives in the trees by our grainery; one lives in the maple tree on the corner of the front yard; one pair lives in our 10 acre wooded lot 1/4 mile down the road; and one pair lives in the woods by our pond. I've seen them watching our barnyard where the dry cows are... They haven't attacked anything yet but I don't know how the heck we could protect the calves from them other than to just keep them in the barn til they are a couple weeks old... DEFINITELY can NOT shoot a bald eagle!!

The birds have a tendency to roost in the same area each evening. I have had some success shooting at them at this time. Keep harassing them and they sometimes move on. I keep an old double barrel on the 4 wheeler and fire off a round anytime I see one roosting. Try to keep them from getting comfortable.

Another thing is to not let hunters shoot a hog or coyote and let it lay. Make sure all carcasses are off the property.

Fro sho about the hogs, they love them. We bury all our dead livestock. If there is nothing to eat in your pasture, they will find a pasture with something to eat. Thats the best advice, dont give them a reason to hang around....

Howdy,
They are problems with calving season. The problem is not just 1-2 around, its when there is 20 of them going after a newborn covered in afterbirth still. 2-4 hours after the calf is born and is cleaned up. It's not a problem.
The game warden here has stated you can get in trouble if a bird of prey is shot out of the sky. If its on the ground attacking your livestock, that's another story. shoot away. Just not like duck hunting when they are flying above.

Yes, in Northern Virginia the Buzzard's (Mexican white tip buzzard, black vulture, turkey vulture, buzzard, vulture and whatever else named ones) are a problem.

Latest posts