Members gone?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
kenny thomas":1kbzs57n said:
True Grit Farms":1kbzs57n said:
Vic was a lot of fun, now that he retired he doesn't have time to do anything besides hunt and fish.
In a few more years I might try the retirement thing. But got a lot of places to see and go at work yet.

Unless you're a bigger cheapskate than I thought you do know you can travel anywhere you wish once you're retired as long as you pick up the tab right?

cbcr":3abvfrue said:
While Facebook has taken some away, the best thing about these forums is that everything is grouped into different sections. Makes it a lot better and easier to find.

The problem with Facebook is that if very many people post something it doesn't take very long for it to relly move down the list.

If it is a topic that would be great to be able to refer back to, it is virtually impossible.

I certainly agree Dun was one of the best and he is one that I miss the most!
I agree with all of that. CT is such a great reference, that any question posted to a search engine will usually result in a group of CT threads very near the top of the 1st page.
Example:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1093& ... XZaCjfO-ew
Question was "Best Angus bull?"
This was the 2nd results down on pg1 Google search. (a similar results from Drovers was #1)

We don't all agree all the time on lots of things but one thing that has always held true here is that everyone tries very hard to find real solutions for real cattle problems and it doesn't matter who it is that asks the question. ..someone that has been at it a lifetime or someone that is just now thinking about buying their first cow.

Grit, 3 way cross was another great contributor, and was straight forward, if he's spending his time hunting and fishing, more power to him, I know I'm fishing alot more than I used to, and I'm doing with my family, and teaching my grandkids also.

TennesseeTuxedo":3pbhzew2 said:
kenny thomas":3pbhzew2 said:
True Grit Farms":3pbhzew2 said:
Vic was a lot of fun, now that he retired he doesn't have time to do anything besides hunt and fish.
In a few more years I might try the retirement thing. But got a lot of places to see and go at work yet.

Unless you're a bigger cheapskate than I thought you do know you can travel anywhere you wish once you're retired as long as you pick up the tab right?
But places I travel at work many people never see. You can't take a vacation in many of the places I visit.

kenny thomas":3r6rye81 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3r6rye81 said:
kenny thomas":3r6rye81 said:

But places I travel at work many people never see. You can't take a vacation in many of the places I visit.

There's a reason for that Kenny.

This year in my travels I met 3 CT members and talked on the phone to a couple more. Watch people shooting hogs from a Blackhawk helicopter along the Canadian river in western OK. Seen lots of great cattle and met many very nice people.
Was on a fire in Paulo Dura Canyon in TX where the rancher said there was 700 cow/calf pair, didn't see a head. Seen rattlesnakes and roadrunners though. Walked a dry creek bed for 2 miles that had chest deep water the next day. Where can you vacation and see such things.

kenny thomas":15e4hstw said:
TennesseeTuxedo":15e4hstw said:
kenny thomas":15e4hstw said:

I'm with you Kenny on that one. I have no desire at all to visit any of the idyllic vacation spots you see advertised and prefer to get away from the 'maddening crowd' that flocks to those places. I spent about 1 1/2 decades on drilling rigs in the middle of nowhere in Tx, La, Ok, and Miss and saw lots of things I would never have gotten a chance to see otherwise. Sometimes took my family, parked them in a motel nearby and my kids today still talk about all the things we saw back then that they would never have guessed existed. And some things were more interesting for me than them I'm sure, at least back then.
An old walking dragline that was abandoned in place next to the Mississippi River levee in mid Louisiana. It was barged down from where it was built in the Upper midwest, helped build the levee then left right where it dug it's last bucketful. I just ran across it one day while out driving around exploring the back roads along the levee. That, was 28 yrs ago. I have no idea if it's still there.

kenny thomas":39q56tvl said:
This year in my travels I met 3 CT members and talked on the phone to a couple more. Watch people shooting hogs from a Blackhawk helicopter along the Canadian river in western OK. Seen lots of great cattle and met many very nice people.
Was on a fire in Paulo Dura Canyon in TX where the rancher said there was 700 cow/calf pair, didn't see a head. Seen rattlesnakes and roadrunners though. Walked a dry creek bed for 2 miles that had chest deep water the next day. Where can you vacation and see such things.
I'm looking at a slide in truck camper for my Alaska trip Tuesday. You need to start getting ready.

True Grit Farms":3donv5pb said:
kenny thomas":3donv5pb said:
I'm looking at a slide in truck camper for my Alaska trip Tuesday. You need to start getting ready.
It's a long time till spring in Alaska.

I think we lost a couple members to Cupid :heart: over time. Good for them (and if it don't work out, they're welcome back :lol:
:hide:

You hear tell of the populations IQ dropping over time... I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but if I wanted to talk about cattle, coming here for anecdotes and bickering doesn't cut it.

there was a spell of six or eight months where I could not log on here...
I did not want to start all over with a new identity.
when I finally got back on the posting membership was quite different...

76 Bar":2h3d9g8a said:
Enjoying the discussion.
Good, bad, ugly? Don't feel pressured to respond...but you piqued my curiosity.

Lot new names i did not recognize and a lot of the folks i often interacted with no longer posting...

pdfangus":z66fcve9 said:
76 Bar":z66fcve9 said:
Enjoying the discussion.
Good, bad, ugly? Don't feel pressured to respond...but you piqued my curiosity.

Lot new names i did not recognize and a lot of the folks i often interacted with no longer posting...
Maybe they were the same ones but just had different names when you returned..... :lol2:

kenny thomas":1ps8x78q said:
Do any of you still keep in touch with members from the past?

Some.

You got close to me this past year when you were down here in TX.

21,000 members and we each may know or recognize a few hundred names. 20,000 of those have probably no longer post. It just happens.

backhoeboogie":2ria9gy6 said:
kenny thomas":2ria9gy6 said:
Do any of you still keep in touch with members from the past?

Some.

You got close to me this past year when you were down here in TX.

I keep in touch with several TexAg, Texan , TR, Cypress as well from time to time. Few others email back and forth.
I need to check on some as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts