medicated milk replacer or no

Help Support CattleToday:

tnrichie

Reaction score
should i use a medicated milk replacer or should i use a non medicated replace.reason asking evrywere im looking on the net for tip tells me not to give antibiotics unless necessary to young calves cause if repeated time and time again the calf could come amune to it..should i use unmedicated milk and keep some medicated on hand incase i have a case of scours and only give it if the scours take place..just a thought may be a dumb one..trying to come up with answers to my scours problems i am having.the replacer i am usin contains oxytricycline

Why don't you call your vet and discuss the pro's and con's with him/her? That way you know both sides of the issue and are better equiped to make the decision. I don't use medicated because I'm not a big believer in feeding antibiotics, but that is just me.

Just my 2 cents worth, But I would never use a Milk Replacer that was not medicated. With the amount of Oxytetracycline that is in a good replacer, its not enough that would make a calf immune to any other medications. I feel that it's good insurance for the calf. My kids are raising 4 beef calves right now, and have had no incidence of scours.

tnrichie":23m82ll4 said:
should i use a medicated milk replacer or should i use a non medicated replace.reason asking evrywere im looking on the net for tip tells me not to give antibiotics unless necessary to young calves cause if repeated time and time again the calf could come amune to it..should i use unmedicated milk and keep some medicated on hand incase i have a case of scours and only give it if the scours take place..just a thought may be a dumb one..trying to come up with answers to my scours problems i am having.the replacer i am usin contains oxytricycline

I posted a question regarding scours about a week ago and someone recommended I use terramycin bolus...Welllll, I only had powder that you add to drinking water. As another poster pointed out, I worried that the calf wouldnt like the taste of his bottle if I put terramycin power in his bottle. Well good news, each feeding, I added a little over a teaspoon of terramycin power to each bottle and some melted (human) Selenium...2 tablets to boost the immune system. The calf drank the bottle willingly (maybe just luck?) and GREAT NEWS poopies are lookin great ...the scours are gone...thanks all! :D

One thing needs to be pointed out...... no matter if you use medicated or not...when you get calves with scours, medicated milk replacer IS not a treatment....... amount of meds in it are far below what would be needed for treatment.
We are a fan of sulfa meds ourselves. :cboy:

Crowderfarms":251dgpsq said:
Just my 2 cents worth, But I would never use a Milk Replacer that was not medicated. With the amount of Oxytetracycline that is in a good replacer, its not enough that would make a calf immune to any other medications. I feel that it's good insurance for the calf. My kids are raising 4 beef calves right now, and have had no incidence of scours.

Crowder, if you don't mind my asking, what are the advantages of a medicated milk replacer?

Just for you Msscamp ;-) From Merricks.com

Medications

Several medications are available for inclusion in milk replacer. The decision to use a medicated milk replacer can be based on a number of factors including calf facilities, disease history and personal preference. The appropriate medication to use depends on the pathogen(s) affecting calves. The three most common milk replacer medications are described below.

Protozoa: coccidia. Coccidia are very small parasites that invade the lining the intestines. The organism is passed from animal to animal via feces and is spread through contaminated feed, water and equipment. Coccidia damage the cells of the intestinal lining. Severe coccidiosis results in bloody diarrhea, weight loss, dehydration and death.

Deccox (Decoquinate) - a coccidiostat that stops the growth of coccidia, but does not kill coccidia
- inhibits activity of the cells' mitochondria (the powerhouse of the cell)
- acts at 5 developmental stages of coccidia, providing the widest range of all the anticoccidial agents

Bovatec (Lasalocid) – a coccidiocide that kills coccidia
- an ionophore that moves potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium into the cell causing the cell to burst
- works primarily on one developmental stage

Bacteria: E. coli, Clostridia, Salmonella, Giardia

Oxytetracycline/Neomycin Base – a broad-spectrum antibiotic combination
- not effective against viruses or protozoa, but can prevent bacterial infections that occur in combination with viruses and protozoa
- may also promote growth and reduce overall medication expenses
- broad spectrum antibiotics are effective against a variety of gram negative and gram positive organisms
- advantage: high likelihood of efficacy against an unidentified pathogen
- disadvantage: high likelihood of destroying beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract

:oops: :oops: Thank you! If I'm understanding this correctly, the major advantage of a medicated milk replacer would be if one was buying calves from the sale barn or a similar place where they don't know the conditions prior to sale? Is that right? I apologize for being dumb, today was the day from hell.

msscamp":1sbypsqf said:
:oops: :oops: Thank you! If I'm understanding this correctly, the major advantage of a medicated milk replacer would be if one was buying calves from the sale barn or a similar place where they don't know the conditions prior to sale? Is that right? I apologize for being dumb, today was the day from hell.
Msscamp, Sorry you had a day from Hell. Tomorrow will be better.I use medicated milk on all calves, regardless whether or not I know where they came from. They seem to do better on the medicated stuff.

Thank you, Crowder. :) Can I hold you to that? LOL Just kidding. Thanks for the info on medicated milk replacer, I appreciate it as I'm always looking to improve! :D

Crowders right, I don't feed any milk replacer that is not medicated no matter where I get the calf. If you can ward off any illness the first time you are way ahead of the game. If you can keep them healthy to begin with you won't be using many antibotics anyway. There are so many things attacking baby calves you need all the help you can get especially when raising them in the summer.

Latest posts