Meat Master Jogee - or other butchers question #2

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Didn't want the cleaver thread to get convoluted..

Last Saturday night, I had a flatiron steak at a little cafe in Atlanta Texas. I've never been in the place before. Menu said "The most tender steak option" so I tried it. It was as advertised, ordered medium rare.
I asked the girl exactly what cut it was from and she didn't know, but I've always thought a flatiron was a top blade and I've not found them to be very tender in the past--sometimes tough a shoe leather. Are all flatirons from the blade or do some give that name to another cut of beef, and is there a trick to get them tender?
I tend to just skillet cook them real quick like venison backstrap and maybe that's wrong, but have I been doing something else wrong all these years?

If you're ever in Atlanta Texas, the name of the place was The Ranch Steakhouse right on US 59 next to Travel Inn motel. My niece had the CFS and she said it was great too.
https://www.facebook.com/AtlantaRanch/a ... 622890888/

I think to be done right and make it tender, the cut has to be separated into two steaks, to remove a membrane that separates two muscles . A good flat iron steak is plenty tender and has a unique flavor. A bad one is like chewing an old boot. My wife buys them regularly. I don't do anything to them other than throw them on a hot grill, and they're very tender. It's a nice change of pace from a normal ribeye.

M.Magis":2fswiutj said:
I think to be done right and make it tender, the cut has to be separated into two steaks, to remove a membrane that separates two muscles . A good flat iron steak is plenty tender and has a unique flavor. A bad one is like chewing an old boot. My wife buys them regularly. I don't do anything to them other than throw them on a hot grill, and they're very tender. It's a nice change of pace from a normal ribeye.

I agree. Its not a new steak its just a new name for marketing. You have to also be careful not to overcook it or a tender steak will become tough. Best to sear it quick then cook it over medium heat to finish.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions I have old hickory knives I love them I will probably get one of those and maybe a new sticking knife and CB I like that site you gave me thanks I see a few I like there.

Stocker Steve":1ee5dcmp said:
M.Magis":1ee5dcmp said:
It's a nice change of pace from a normal ribeye.

Damm ribeyes...

I have been using a meat thermometer for grilling steaks and my popularity with the head cook has gone way up. :banana:
I probably should have said a cheaper alternative. :D I still prefer a good ribeye.

Latest posts