Ham curing question

Help Support CattleToday:

I finally got around to showing this thread to my boys. the are 13 & 16 and want you to adopt them. They say that they are used to working for food and your looks better than mine! Seriously, I really appreciate all of your advice and I may have more questions later on. We have our first gilt due to pig this week and hope to have plenty to kill next Winter.

I finally got around to showing this thread to my boys. the are 13 & 16 and want you to adopt them. They say that they are used to working for food and your looks better than mine! Seriously, I really appreciate all of your advice and I may have more questions later on. We have our first gilt due to pig this week and hope to have plenty to kill next Winter.

Thanks for that great compliment. I don't mind any questions at all.

I probably should be sending you pm's, but there may be other folks that benefit from our discussion here. Do you scald or skin your hogs? I am looking for ideas for my own scalding vat. I really want to be able to move it around with pallet forks and be big enough for a 600 pound sausage sow if I need it

I probably should be sending you pm's, but there may be other folks that benefit from our discussion here. Do you scald or skin your hogs? I am looking for ideas for my own scalding vat. I really want to be able to move it around with pallet forks and be big enough for a 600 pound sausage sow if I need it
You can ask anywhere you want but others may learn from your questions and get ideas I scald all my hogs that I'm gonna cut up if a big fat sow I skin it I use old cast bath tubs. I personally wouldn't waste time on a sow by scrapping her.i would take a big 275 gallon tank and use it as a scalding tank

You can ask anywhere you want but others may learn from your questions and get ideas I scald all my hogs that I'm gonna cut up if a big fat sow I skin it I use old cast bath tubs. I personally wouldn't waste time on a sow by scrapping her.i would take a big 275 gallon tank and use it as a scalding tank

Here in Texas we cure sausage with a cold smoke. We call it dry sausage.
My grandpa didn't cure hams but he did cure bacon. I cured hams one time in my life and they turned out ok.
My grandpa always scraped his hogs.
We add deer meat about 50/50 mix for our dry sausage. It is so good.

I believe that souse and head cheese are the same thing. I have been looking at recipes on line, looks like all the souse recipes all go through the same process but are seasoned differently. I am looking for any advice or suggestions before hog killing time.

We are getting ready to kill a few right after New Years. Sky, do you dip the whole ham in molasses after you take it out of salt or do you make a paste out of the molasses and pepper? Also, does anyone cure shoulders? My dad will soon be 90 and wants me to cure a shoulder for him.

Latest posts