Lean meat

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
I eat breakfast sausage just about every week, old folks, Smithfield and some others.
I noticed when frying patties there is very little grease cooked out.
In comparison, my wife and granddaughter picked up beef patties for hamburgers, we just butchered a calf and have plenty HB but any way, I noticed more grease in the HB patties than the sausage patties.
The HB was good but definitely more grease cooked out.

Had a couple calves butchered between 600-700 lbs straight off grass and the meat is so dry/lean you about have to add some grease. The junk I buy in stores fries away about 50% with a pan of grease left over. I refuse to eat store bought slop.

A calf should not have much grease from my experience. Like hogs I hate to eat a big fattened up hog or calf because you are eating that.

I eat breakfast sausage just about every week, old folks, Smithfield and some others.
I noticed when frying patties there is very little grease cooked out.
In comparison, my wife and granddaughter picked up beef patties for hamburgers, we just butchered a calf and have plenty HB but any way, I noticed more grease in the HB patties than the sausage patties.
The HB was good but definitely more grease cooked out.
Commercial pork for the US market is fed a product to reduce fat. The pork for the Chinese market is totally different and called silky pork due to the fat content. And genetics likely reduce the fat on the US market pork.

There is fat to be sold on grain finished beef. Might as well grind it up and sell it to you! :sneaky:

I have seen lately ( year or so) that the pork cuts in the grocery cooler are so extremely fatty here in TN. I have been a cook for over 20years and have handled thousands if not more, cuts of pork. So we tried to roast a couple butts to pull/slice in a Nesco. There was nothing left from a whole butt! We had enough to make a few sandwiches.
My daughter goes to school with a girl that lives on xxxx Farms. Part of her chores, is to feed the pigs after school. She opens the gate for the trucks to back in and dump the feed into the shredder, pigs come running...
Curiosity got the better of her and looked to see what the "feed " was that was being dumped into the shredder. Come to find out it is candy! They have part ownership in Mars M&M. They shred the boxes of expired/unsold candy. Boxes, wrappers, and the candy inside. Yum.....?

Can't even get a nice pork loin around here.......

Latest posts