Meanwhile back at the Ranch!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Yesterday was not a very successful day. Starting a new cross fence,and what with 3 1/2 in of rain last weekend things were muddy.One thing good was the hole digging went good and quick.The ground was real soft. In fact too soft,the New Holland with the post hole digger on it fell in burried to the frame.
Fired the 4640 up and pulled it out and about 20 min later stuck the 4640 and had to pull it out with the New Holland.Finally by quiting time was able to get all the posts cemented for corners and bracing.
Last night it thunder,lightning and heavy rain,dont know how much it rained still dark.
But I know it put the fence building to a halt.
But don't think I'll complain too much,here in Texas you learn to be thankfull for any rain you can get.
After all the pastures look great.

Cal

Cal
send some of it our way I think that ol hillbilly medicine woman I hired this winter to keep the blizzards of went a little to far with her hex haven't had any moisture to speak of in 3-4 weeks been getting a little all around us but not here at home

Angus Cowman":3gx9dhn0 said:
Keep your fingers crossed I just heard thunder
AC I would sure share the rain with you if I could. Hope the thunder brings some of that liquid sunshine.

Cal.

Calman,
I checked the gauge around 5:30 this morning; there was almost 9/10 of an inch. So y'all probably had at least that much.

Texas Gal

its thundering as i type this now.cal you can build the fence in the heat of summer.

Jogeephus":1qowog8j said:
I hope you are south of me. We sure need some.

I don't like it.... Again, we got nothing. 1/2 inch in the last 30 days. With the temps getting up into the 80s, the grass isn't going to last long without some rain.

I was able to get a wire stretched and a few t-posts in the ground friday.
Got back home pretty muddy though. Looked like I had been out rooting with the hogs.
By the way,are t-posts made from gold now?
And maby barbwire made from silver? :shock:

Cal

calman,

I am in the process of putting in cross fencing myself. I started digging my first hole for the gate-post and BINGO I hit my water line. Let me tell you that an 1.5" line can pump out alot of water in the time it takes to get off the tractor, run 400 feet to the access gate and then run 1200' down the drive to shut off the water valve. I still cant figure out why the water line didn't cross my mind. Anyway after a couple trips to THD and some serious digging in the mud I got it repaired. I drilled and set a few posts in concrete but the ground was so hard on the upper end I waited for rain which we got yesterday. I'll start back tomorrow evening.

Like you said T-Posts and barb wire are worth gold bullion these days. I decided to do this cross fence in high tensile (5 strand) and wire two of them hot. With high tesile I don't need as many T-Posts. I'll throw some tensioners on it and fire it up.

I feel lucky. Managed to pick up 130 used 1.25wt. 6 1/2 foot t-post for $2.25 each. All of them were in great shape and about 40 of them were never used.

HOSS":3lzigvc4 said:
calman,

I am in the process of putting in cross fencing myself. I started digging my first hole for the gate-post and BINGO I hit my water line. Let me tell you that an 1.5" line can pump out alot of water in the time it takes to get off the tractor, run 400 feet to the access gate and then run 1200' down the drive to shut off the water valve. I still cant figure out why the water line didn't cross my mind. Anyway after a couple trips to THD and some serious digging in the mud I got it repaired. I drilled and set a few posts in concrete but the ground was so hard on the upper end I waited for rain which we got yesterday. I'll start back tomorrow evening.

Like you said T-Posts and barb wire are worth gold bullion these days. I decided to do this cross fence in high tensile (5 strand) and wire two of them hot. With high tesile I don't need as many T-Posts. I'll throw some tensioners on it and fire it up.

Hoss,sounds like ya had a little excietment there.
We got about 20 or so more holes to dig for gate posts and bracing. Then it's setting t-posts and stringinging wire.
I think the worst part for me is putting on the wire clips.Over 200 posts and 5 wire clips to a post. :mad: :mad:
Vette,a buddy found 120 good used 6 footers on craigs list at Dallas for a dollar a piece.

Cal

Calman":v3nrch01 said:
Vette,a buddy found 120 good used 6 footers on craigs list at Dallas for a dollar a piece.

Cal

:???: Par for the course....I'm always over paying for stuff.

Latest posts