Mayes Co Oklahoma ( shot in the dark)

Help Support CattleToday:

Although the land is lots higher
The buy in per cow is cheaper
In west Texas it's 20 acres or more to a cow at 1000 an acre
NE Oklahoma it's 5 acres or so to a cow at 2000-2500
The problem is trying to find a place big enough and that doesn't have a huge house on it that runs up the price

I can't see how this land won't work. 1500 to 2000$ a acre for a place that will run a pair to 3 or 4 acres makes sense to me.

jedstivers":1atsycpl said:
denvermartinfarms":1atsycpl said:
I can't see how this land won't work. 1500 to 2000$ a acre for a place that will run a pair to 3 or 4 acres makes sense to me.
If cattle prices stay up it can work. Corn prices didn't stay up long.
I can see your point. My thinking is I don't know where's there's land for sale that you can buy for less than 5000$ a pair, seems like either the price go's up if it's better or production go's down if it's cheaper.

denvermartinfarms":1vik95nb said:
jedstivers":1vik95nb said:
denvermartinfarms":1vik95nb said:
If cattle prices stay up it can work. Corn prices didn't stay up long.
I can see your point. My thinking is I don't know where's there's land for sale that you can buy for less than 5000$ a pair, seems like either the price go's up if it's better or production go's down if it's cheaper.
You can buy irrigated farm ground here for less than that. On this ground with irrigation we can run 2 pair to the acre. You can buy ground for 4-5,000 here.

denvermartinfarms":21s1mii1 said:
I had no idea you could run 2 pair to the acre anywhere. Good for you guys.
It would be intensive management and stay on your toes but with these soils under pivots we could. Iv actually thought we could put 5 head of stockers per acre but I worry about the heat and insects on their weight gain. We can make the forage, just not sure they can utilize it. And 5 is a thought, tot set in stone, we'd have to work with it and see.

Latest posts