Mayes Co Oklahoma ( shot in the dark)

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
If anyone knows of a 40-50 cows place priced right in the Mayes co area I'm interested
I'm looking and not having much luck
Everything I've found is either a POS or priced way above what it's worth

Thanks in advance

Good luck... a lot of the good land gets snapped up quick. I do know that sometime there will be some land for sale around Adair, OK (in Mayes Co., not Adair Co.) but I don't know when and am pretty sure it will be an auction.

Have you contacted any realtors?

I like the Adair area
The good cleared ground is really high and the hills and trees that ain't fit for cattle still brings more than it should for recreation use
If it has a running creek on it you better sit down when you ask what they are wanting for it

I'd like to buy in for 10-12k a cow but that may not be possible

Are you looking for leased ground or Purchasing ground. The problem with most of Mayes County as far as land prices is that it is an easy commute to the Tulsa area. Therefore it equals higher prices people are willing to pay.

I'd like to buy but I'd look at a lease place
I'm in Salina now and I like it really well
Locust Grove is nice too though
I hadnt looked east yet
I'll look into that

cross_7":1kcnnbys said:
I hadnt looked east yet
I'll look into that
That area of MO that I'm talking about is a little over 100 miles west of me. Kind of area where you can run a pair on 3 or 4 acres. And land can be bought for 2000$ an acre pretty easy.

denvermartinfarms":1y3ejucg said:
cross_7":1y3ejucg said:
I hadnt looked east yet
I'll look into that
That area of MO that I'm talking about is a little over 100 miles west of me. Kind of area where you can run a pair on 3 or 4 acres. And land can be bought for 2000$ an acre pretty easy.

What county is that ?

cross_7":2r2fdmi5 said:
denvermartinfarms":2r2fdmi5 said:
cross_7":2r2fdmi5 said:
I hadnt looked east yet
I'll look into that

What county is that ?

It could be a couple different county's, look on a map, I'm talking south and southeast of joplin MO. Newton, McDonald and Barry county is what I was thinking for you. I'm about 2 or 2 1/2 hours east of there, you could also get a good place like your talking, possibly even cheaper over here, but I thought you might want to be staying a little closer to OK.

I really like the eastern OK area, but I haven't spent anytime to speak of in eastern MO. Just driving through.
When I get a chance I'll drive over and look around
If you come across a good place give me a holler

Best pasture I saw in ok is in eastern between the two big reservoirs. Some west of the west one too. You can watch the grass get better driving west to east too. Big pastures too. I figured that was some of the highest priced ground in the state but I don't know. If I was to win the lottery I'd go buy a bunch of it.

Some of that Oklahoma grass is really high. It'd take someone smarter me to make it pay
I looked around some at land watch and some of its priced right but I know nothing about the Sw MO area
I need to take s road trip and look around

Like I said before do to the fact that it is an easy commute a lot of the old farm land that had been in production has been sold off in smaller lots and that has driven the price up considerably. And most of the lease ground is either spoken for or many establish farms have swept in and taken all the good. In my own opinion, at least around the northern part of the county it will be very difficult to find reasonable priced land that someone could run cattle on and have it pay for itself. as for leasing you might be able to find several different tracts of small acres that may be spread out .

I live in Pryor in Mayes County and I think part of the increase in land prices is the growth of the industrial park. Google has really been expanding.
Land, rent houses, pasture leases etc...have become hard to come by and expensive.

Here is a link to county average land prices, but honestly I don't know of any land saleing this cheap.

http://agecon.okstate.edu/oklandvalues/

Not much native grass pasture in Mayes county mostly Bermuda and fescue.
Stocking rates range from a low of a cow to 2-3 acres with fertility and good management to a cow to 5-6 acres with little to no fertility.

That whole Google deal has everything inflated
Houses are selling well and bringing good money
I couldn't even find a place to park my camper at the lake till last week
Hotels are full. Last time I checked Holliday day inn express was 150 a night and was full
I don't know how many are employed but it's a bunch

cross_7":olhgu47j said:
Some of that Oklahoma grass is really high. It'd take someone smarter me to make it pay
I looked around some at land watch and some of its priced right but I know nothing about the Sw MO area
I need to take s road trip and look around
From what I saw when AC lived in SW Mo I couldn't see where that land would pay. You had to be coming there from another area with higher priced land that you had sold. Or have another sorce of income.

Latest posts