Mature cow about to calve??

Help Support CattleToday:

TNcowman

Reaction score
Noticed cow yesterday that looks like she is ready to calve soon. Tail is a little crooked and holding straight out. Milk has come in. She is still running with the herd some and staying away some. No signs of labor. Water or fluid was seeping out some today. However her twat?? is not full and loose like other cows normally are. Thought I saw a hoof earlier but when I was near her a little while ago, no hoof. She does not seem to be in trouble or has not been laying down and getting up. This one is stange to me since she is not thick and loose in the back. Any ideas??

my first guess would be to check her. If she is okay release to do her business with a watchful eye. If she is in trouble, then you know. Good luck. Send a pic when she has it

Don't be over-anxious. Just keep an eye on her and she'll likely be just fine. I've seen them act like you described, and calve a week or more later, sometimes sooner.

TNcowman":2m0h0p0s said:
Noticed cow yesterday that looks like she is ready to calve soon. Tail is a little crooked and holding straight out. Milk has come in. She is still running with the herd some and staying away some. No signs of labor. Water or fluid was seeping out some today. However her twat?? is not full and loose like other cows normally are. Thought I saw a hoof earlier but when I was near her a little while ago, no hoof. She does not seem to be in trouble or has not been laying down and getting up. This one is stange to me since she is not thick and loose in the back. Any ideas??

I had a cow acting like that. This was her 3rd calving. Turned out she had twins. They were both dead and rotting. If it were me I would go check. If everything is good they put her back out.

Crrying the tail out is a sign that things are hapening. I would check her and see if all is well

dun

She is in trouble!
If you saw a foot and she didn't have it in 1 hour, get her up and pull it and check for a second one.
SL

Update:

Checked on her early this morning and she was OK, still acting funny. Just a few minutes ago, the cow was wandering around and the calves nose & front feet were coming out several inches. Looks like it is stuck. Calf is dead. Tried to head the cow to the barn but she took off and would not cooperate. I am having to wait for son and neighbor to help me. If we have trouble getting her to the barn, is their a chance she will push out the dead calf on her own tonight?

A few years ago, I had one do this and could not get her to the barn. Finally 24 hours later she was lying down and too tired to get up and I was able to pull the calf.

Maybe, depends on why the calf got stuck. I would be worried about infection now. Make sure if you have this on hand 5cc oxytocin to give as soon as she calves or with in 48 hours if you have to get it. Sooner the better.
Good luck

Re:
Calf is dead.
No surprise here!

, is their a chance she will push out the dead calf on her own tonight?
NO! And don't be surprised if she is also dead by morning.

And I would suggest you start spending more time with your cattle to condition them so you can handle them, or sell them.
SL

TNcowman":vqasg232 said:
Update:

If we have trouble getting her to the barn, is their a chance she will push out the dead calf on her own tonight?

Ummmmm, no. If she could have delivered it, it wouldn't be dead.

99.9% sure she CAN'T deliver the calf or else you would not be in this mess. Be careful of septicemia - or you'll probably lose the cow too.

She delivered part of the calf and I finished pulling it. Afterbirth was expunged also. Gave her shot of LA200 and will give another in 3 days. She is up eating and drinking. I was finally able to get her in the barn area so I can keep a closer eye on her the next week but so far she is OK.
Thanks for your feedback.