Manure spreader for lime

Help Support CattleToday:

I tired it with a seeder, destroyed the seeder. The lime packs to thightly. I might be wililng to try it with an old top beater spreader but because of the weight it isn;t going to hold very much per load

I spread a good bit of lime and chicken litter. Never could get any type of manure spreader to do a nice job.
I finally bought a litter spreader. Some county SCS offices have spreaders you can sign out really reasonable.
Also if you have the Southern States chain down there, some of them near me have lime spreaders they lend out
but I think they will make you buy their lime.

Co-op down here has the large tandem axle spreaders that they rent out, but they are too heavy for the steep ground that I need to spread on. I have an old New Holland manure spreader that is light enough for me to handle on steep ground, and there is a quarry close by that I can get lime pretty cheap if I can figure out a way to spread it. I am just trying to figure out how to do it with what I already have. I have not tried it, but my neighbor tried to spread some with a 3pt hitch broadcast spreader and it was a disaster. He ended up spreading 10 tons with a shovel.

probably would be $ ahead to buy their lime and hire them to spread it if cost isnt to outrageous. more damage and time than u would probably save $

Getting them to spread it would be cheaper if it was not too steep for them to get on, but unfortunately most of my pastures are far from level.

Best way to do lime is to buy it from someone who also does the spreading. There are a lot of places with hills in this world and if they cannot spread on local hills I simply would not buy from them.

Manure spreaders are not the way to go - in fact if you do not use a proper system you are probably over applying in most areas that you are not already under applying - which means for the most part the money has been wasted.

My best

Bez

This is labor intensive. Some orchardists here get bagged lime from the packers. They have someone throw bags in the spreader. Chase vehicle next row over.

owned terra gators for years. it would have to be real steep for the not to be able to spread it. esp with a 4wheeler. was does application cost for lime and fert in some of your areas. just cur. about expenses in diff areas. and what about chicken litter

big variation in prices i guess according to where u r from based on shipping. here its $20 to $25 a ton plus $5 to $6 a ton for spreading. lime mines are from 30 miles to about 100 miles from us. some of u guys get it pretty cheap.

hillbilly beef man":1zlhltda said:
Getting them to spread it would be cheaper if it was not too steep for them to get on, but unfortunately most of my pastures are far from level.

I have the exact same problem here. Small box spreader on a 50HP 4WD tractor is all I can come up with. Even then it's risky. I've had to jack-knife many times just so I could stop.

I use mine to spread the spent lime from drinking water facilities, I do hundreds of acres this way. The powerdered lime you could mix a small amount with manure and make it work. When I spread lime I only fill the spreader 1/4 to third capacity and you have to move pretty fast so you don't over apply. I have a apron chain spreader with extra beater.

ragweed":293jj7m2 said:
big variation in prices i guess according to where u r from based on shipping. here its $20 to $25 a ton plus $5 to $6 a ton for spreading. lime mines are from 30 miles to about 100 miles from us. some of u guys get it pretty cheap.
Guess i'm lucky, i'm less than a mile from the quarry.

hayray":1ztu53zm said:
I use mine to spread the spent lime from drinking water facilities, I do hundreds of acres this way. The powerdered lime you could mix a small amount with manure and make it work. When I spread lime I only fill the spreader 1/4 to third capacity and you have to move pretty fast so you don't over apply. I have a apron chain spreader with extra beater.

This is a manure spreader?

Latest posts