Managing Supervisor of the Virgin Vault

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
A while back I made a post concerning a milk stealing cow I had. I believe Dun said it was "unnatural" and she should go for a ride ASAP. Though Dun's advice is sound, I had a hard time doing it since this was BERTHA. Yeah, I know. But the reason she has a name is that she earned it. She is the cow that possibly saved my life by knocking an angry brangus off her feet before she could blind-side me into the corral fence and turn me into a mushy spot.

Nevertheless, good sound advice isn't always wasted on me and I took it to heart. This spring, during the peak of the drought, I put Bertha on the cull list.(this was harder than parting with my first wife) We loaded the truck but there was no more room left for Bertha and she was left standing alone in the alley. Divine intervention if you will.

But what to do with a milk stealer? As a former gov't emplyee, I realized the answer was simple. Promote her to Managing Supervisor of the Virgin Vault. She can't steal milk here AND she can teach the young ladies how to remain calm and semi docile around ME.

So far she has done an excellent job as lead cow. All I need to do is call her and she will leisurely stroll towards me bringing her wards in tow. In return, she only asks to be curry combed on occasion. :oops: :lol:

IMG_1590.jpg

Oh, Bertha is the 1600 lb bundle of love about 3 quarters of the way up the line. :lol:

End of the day.

IMG_1600.jpg

jo,

You are a smart man, ALL cows have a problem or two.
Its called management if you can find a place for her to work, no reason to ship.
Looks like she is happy and doing her new job.
Keep up the good work...

redfornow":7o4atzrn said:

She was in heaven today. I brought her some cull watermellons. She is really doing wonders with the heifers too. Some of their mommas have a good bit of ear and this roughness has worn off on them but she is easing their fears. Got about 1/2 of them coming to the truck now with her. She is definitely a leader but am considering putting her in the bull pen when they calve. Don't think she'll be stealing any milk there. ;-) :lol:

Jogeephus":33lxicwl said:
redfornow":33lxicwl said:

She was in heaven today. I brought her some cull watermellons. She is really doing wonders with the heifers too. Some of their mommas have a good bit of ear and this roughness has worn off on them but she is easing their fears. Got about 1/2 of them coming to the truck now with her. She is definitely a leader but am considering putting her in the bull pen when they calve. Don't think she'll be stealing any milk there. ;-) :lol:

you better do it before they start building up milk getting ready.

I am always impressed with your pictures, you seem to run a really nice farm, and know what you are doing. From these and your hay pictures you posted on another thread you seem to have it altogether.

Thank you Tuck. I try, but I have a lot to learn. That's why I like this board, there are some really smart folks on here that can give some good ideas that I might can use in my area.

Latest posts