Man on a mission

Help Support CattleToday:

That's good Hook--I wuz fixin to have to call OSHA, Homeland Security, FBI, MSHA, DoE, NIOSH, NEIHS, CSB, down on your butt, as well as HHS for such a major and blatant infraction of common workplace safety rules........

greybeard":1bm7ke4l said:
That's good Hook--I wuz fixin to have to call OSHA, Homeland Security, FBI, MSHA, DoE, NIOSH, NEIHS, CSB, down on your butt, as well as HHS for such a major and blatant infraction of common workplace safety rules........

We were shown a safety film one time in Mine Safety training where a fella had a couple of tanks tied down vertical in the back of a pickup. He drove under a beam and knocked off the valves.

It flipped the pickup.

3waycross":1a8e0wzi said:
greybeard":1a8e0wzi said:

We were shown a safety film one time in Mine Safety training where a fella had a couple of tanks tied down vertical in the back of a pickup. He drove under a beam and knocked off the valves.

It flipped the pickup.

Those mining safety meeting can show you a 1000 ways to off yourself without even trying, some of then due to really dumb decisions, and some just from just all the wrong factors coming together. I don't work around farm equipment the same now as I did before.

You ever drive one of those 50 ton haul trucks? Always amazed me how squirrely they would get with just a little rain- like freight train on roller skates.

Commercialfarmer":xmzhy6il said:
3waycross":xmzhy6il said:
greybeard":xmzhy6il said:

It flipped the pickup.

Those mining safety meeting can show you a 1000 ways to off yourself without even trying, some of then due to really dumb decisions, and some just from just all the wrong factors coming together. I don't work around farm equipment the same now as I did before.

You ever drive one of those 50 ton haul trucks? Always amazed me how squirrely they would get with just a little rain- like freight train on roller skates.

I drove a 50Ton HaulPak off the top of a mountain on Monarch pass for 5 years. It was a mile and a half with 2 switchbacks and 3 truck traps for runaways with a 12% grade. I also drove them to Sunrise Wyoming twice on Hwy 50 and I-25. We went through Denver in a caravan with them during rush hour. You do not need to tell me how easily they spin out. What's really exciting is when you are dumping waste off a 2000 foot cliff and your load freezes in the bed and does not release when you are at full extension. I had the front wheels coming almost a foot off the ground teetering like that for close to 5 minutes before it settled back down.

Mining is a young man's game. You need to do it while you are young and invincible. I have 10 years in the mine, a year of underground hardrock and 9 years of open pit limestone. I don't regret it and would probably go back to it if times got too hard. I do love blowing stuff up.

Balls of steel. I had an offer a few years back to drive fuel trucks to mines. At a time when we were really hurting because of the economy, it was extremely tempting. But we had some pressing issues to deal with and I didn't take it.

Hook":1s3lm8xa said:
Balls of steel. I had an offer a few years back to drive fuel trucks to mines. At a time when we were really hurting because of the economy, it was extremely tempting. But we had some pressing issues to deal with and I didn't take it.

Sorry for the Hijack Hook. Good luck with your smoker. It looks like it has some real promise!

I was going to say the same, sorry to hijack it. From what you have already been accomplishing, you should be dangerous with this new set up.

I'm looking to do something similar on a slightly smaller scale. Have a few other half finished projects I need to take care of first.

Hinges fabbed up and attached to the tank. Used the torch to heat the rebar up and put the bend in them. Now to cut the door(s) out.

CEBEDD23-B927-4700-A03F-F1EF49CFF1F1.jpg

About a year ago I helped weld up a smoker out of stainless and we decided to make it reverse flow, it definitely keeps the heat uniform throughout the smoker.

Jlane":2ts9p6hc said:
About a year ago I helped weld up a smoker out of stainless and we decided to make it reverse flow, it definitely keeps the heat uniform throughout the smoker.
There's no doubt about that. It's more work and more steel, but worth it from what I've read up on

Awesome project hook, I've been thinking about a similar one myself and you've given me some good ideas. I'm just wondering how that smoke chamber smells. I've done several projects with old propane tanks and the odor of the propane is pretty intense once I get the tank opened up. Doesn't your tank still have the odor?

Good deal. The tanks I have used have all been really old and I guess the smell must have soaked in. However once I got them red hot like you said, the smell was completely gone. Here's how I burned the smell out of the last one I did.

Yep.. that's how to do it!

I tried cutting a 100 lb tank open once.. d@mn that steel doesn't want to cut!.. it seems to always weld itself back together behind the torch.

I'm actually looking for a couple 500 or 1000 gallon tanks to store diesel and gasoline in... they can handle pressure so the fuel won't evaporate.. Actually, I can pressurize them with compressed air to pump the fuel out.

Looks good so far Hook!