male or female??

Help Support CattleToday:

cathys

Reaction score
We were banding/tagging calfs last night. My hubby says he can only find one testy, tells me to try. I try and find only one but find something else in front of it..this calf has 2 tits and one testy, now I have not been dealing with cattle very long but my husband has all his life and we both agree this is strange.

You dont say how old calf is but, sometimes they have only one seed. Even 1 day old you can usually find them.As far as the teats it is common to find them.

blk mule

Some calves will retain one nut inside the body and you can;t get them down. That's where a surgical castratin, not just a typical knife job becomes necesarry

dun

cathys":3t7xehcl said:
We were banding/tagging calfs last night. My hubby says he can only find one testy, tells me to try. I try and find only one but find something else in front of it..this calf has 2 tits and one testy, now I have not been dealing with cattle very long but my husband has all his life and we both agree this is strange.

You have a bull calf. What you saw was not abnormal and you simply will have to work that nut down. It is there - go digging.

Bez>

Bulls do have teats - that is normal. One testicle has probably been retained - how old is the calf? Depending on its age it may come down by itself...

The calf is cryptorchid....a retained testicle. Its there, just up inside. It can happen with horses, dogs etc. even people.

Regarding the teats, look at a male dog, they have them too, even male people have breasts.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":ahjmi3el said:
The calf is cryptorchid....a retained testicle. Its there, just up inside. It can happen with horses, dogs etc. even people.

Regarding the teats, look at a male dog, they have them too, even male people have breasts.

Katherine
Hey I have two of each and may be a little different but not deformed. Ha

We have always called them "stags" and recheck the calf at a later date. If it has still not dropped we don't worry about it.
I have also seem steers have teats on them. They just don't work. :lol:

Latest posts