Making money in cattle!

Help Support CattleToday:

I want to know how things work for those of you that run feeders and or stockers. Cow calf thing isn't working for me.

I'm figuring you can 2 to 3 for what a cow/calf requires.

I've been trying to study up on grazing other folks animals too. That seem like a possible route to go.
Well, if someone is buying steers to grow out and sell, and they can pay you rent and still make money, then why not buy them yourself and make all the money?

Well, if someone is buying steers to grow out and sell, and they can pay you rent and still make money, then why not buy them yourself and make all the money?
I can reply to this for some circumstances.
Maybe the person does not have the resources (money) to buy 100 steers but has the land to keep them. Or is not able to get out to buy them, work them, haul them. They can work with someone who can do it all and deliver them hopefully ready to grow..
Or maybe they are just unsure of the market and want to make a little for sure money.

Have to have a place and feed to keep them to assert an adjistment lien is main downside to taking in other's cattle. Have to keep possession and keep running the feed bill til sell them.
Had them there to start with so a place is no issue. The number I get would be settled before any left, so what is left are my cattle and would leave for the next sale. The other guy is most likely wanting his cattle. So will deal.

We aren't making money yet. We will never make enough to cover the cost of the building the ranch, but we knew that when we started.

We started with Angus but after a few conversations with my friend Tom we got out of Angus.

Getting into Wagyu can be expensive if you are buying top pedigree cows and bulls to build a heard. Bred cow $8,000. Heifers $3,000. Bulls are whatever the buyer is willing to pay...Top bull was sold for $500,000 earlier this year. (We just had his nephew born last week)🤞

We sell F2 %Wagyu vac package beef whole or 1/2 carcass only...no retail cuts for approx $9 lb. BMS of 7 to 8. SCD AA.

We only AI (in house) which also adds to our cost. I pretty sure our nitro tank contents are worth more than our cattle lol.....still cheaper than owning high end bulls.

We aren't making money yet. We will never make enough to cover the cost of the building the ranch, but we knew that when we started.

We started with Angus but after a few conversations with my friend Tom we got out of Angus.

Getting into Wagyu can be expensive if you are buying top pedigree cows and bulls to build a heard. Bred cow $8,000. Heifers $3,000. Bulls are whatever the buyer is willing to pay...Top bull was sold for $500,000 earlier this year. (We just had his nephew born last week)🤞

We sell F2 %Wagyu vac package beef whole or 1/2 carcass only...no retail cuts for approx $9 lb. BMS of 7 to 8. SCD AA.

We only AI (in house) which also adds to our cost. I pretty sure our nitro tank contents are worth more than our cattle lol.....still cheaper than owning high end bulls.
I am moving in the direction of your program. I hope to cover the cost of feed and labor. My third calf crop this year. I am on the Akaushi side of wagyu. I plan on having a full blood and pure breed polled herd. Culls will go into beef program. I also will never pay for land and start up cost from my cattle....... But land has increased 100% in the last 3 years so with that calculation I have a great return on investment.

I am moving in the direction of your program. I hope to cover the cost of feed and labor. My third calf crop this year. I am on the Akaushi side of wagyu. I plan on having a full blood and pure breed polled herd. Culls will go into beef program. I also will never pay for land and start up cost from my cattle....... But land has increased 100% in the last 3 years so with that calculation I have a great return on investment.
In my opinion, Akaushi genetics are the key to Wagyu breeding. Do you have any Rueshaw pedigree in your herd ?
If you're a member of AWA you can use their progeny calculator on your herd which is extremely helpful in figuring out what direction you need to go in order to strengthen your herd.
The only downside to Akaushi is their birth weight. I have yet to find a good bull with a low birth weight.
We have three heifers that we're getting ready to breed.
They will all be bred to FB5061 Yasafuku 068 which is a Jap black that has a low birth weight.... After they throw their first calf they will be bred to Akaushi.

In my opinion, Akaushi genetics are the key to Wagyu breeding. Do you have any Rueshaw pedigree in your herd ?
If you're a member of AWA you can use their progeny calculator on your herd which is extremely helpful in figuring out what direction you need to go in order to strengthen your herd.
The only downside to Akaushi is their birth weight. I have yet to find a good bull with a low birth weight.
We have three heifers that we're getting ready to breed.
They will all be bred to FB5061 Yasafuku 068 which is a Jap black that has a low birth weight.... After they throw their first calf they will be bred to Akaushi.
I have one bred heifer with a little Rueshaw in her, she is bred to Judo Rocks.
Also, I am one of the suckers that recently bought 1 straw of Rueshaw. Not sure how I am going to use it. I have 4-5 cows that I would like to flush but would like at least 10 for ETs. Then I need the recipients which I do not have.

The Akaushi are defiantly easy calving, so for I have had no issues with any births.
I am ok with 70 +- birth weights. I believe the biggest downside with Akaushi is
a heifers milk production.

Only way I've been able to make money in cow/calf is by weaning, feeding, and growing out the calves. Gets them close to feedlot size and cuts out the yearling man.
In essence you are a cattle producer cow/calf and a stocker....but the good news is there's no risk in obtaining other people's stocker calves. I do better growing mine out too. Bet you the cows and calves are happier too.

I have one bred heifer with a little Rueshaw in her, she is bred to Judo Rocks.
Also, I am one of the suckers that recently bought 1 straw of Rueshaw. Not sure how I am going to use it. I have 4-5 cows that I would like to flush but would like at least 10 for ETs. Then I need the recipients which I do not have.

The Akaushi are defiantly easy calving, so for I have had no issues with any births.
I am ok with 70 +- birth weights. I believe the biggest downside with Akaushi is
a heifers milk production.
Milk production is our Akaushi strength ! Great mother. Here are the calcs on our last breeding.

Screenshot_20230112-115327-599.png

Where's your friend Tom out of?

Tom is in Box Springs Ga.

He has an 1100 acre ranch and raises primarily FB Wagyu cattle.....but has recently got into pigs.

I told him I would go in with him on some pigs....but they're not coming to my ranch...Because I was a pig farmer when I was a kid.
I said ok buy about 5 pigs and I'm in.

I went down a couple weeks ago to pick up two of my hogs that were butchered for me and he had over a hundred pigs !! He is worst than me about being excessive.

Now he's into crossing Mangalistas with Berkshires and Durocs 😂

We originally got into BEEF cattle because we got burned on raising horses. The idea was we didn't need to have a "name" with beef cattle. Get paid by the pound. Then - we fell in love with Simmentals. Guess what - if you raise PB anything, you need a reputation to sell for decent money. I have a small SS income, but my cattle make a living for me.
Yes, my baby girls make my living. But, my males do well for me.

Males:
Selling weaned steer calves by the pound makes me money. My steers generally will bring around $1000 (700# x $1.45 = $1015). So, unless the market absolutely tanks, I make out well with them. But, I tell everyone you can't rely on the local market., You need to FIND your market to sell direct to a feedlot. That is, if you raise good cattle. My steers grow and make a feedlot money. Sold in October
Also, I feed out some steers for freezer trade. That's been a money maker!
Show steers - your pick $1500 - pickup in October
Bull CALVES - your pick $1850 - pickup in October. (if not sold, castrate and feedlot guy is happy to add them to the group). This hasn't been a problem past few years. Since I only sell them as calves, people would call and want pick of the bulls. More than once, I would have to tell them pick was sold. So, they would say, "OK, I want pick for next year". I had 4 sold before they were born in 2021 (sold 5), had 5 in 2022 sold before calving (sold 7) and this year I only had 2 sold before calving. 95% go to commercial buyers. Simmental is exploding around here, I guess. I rarely sold more than 1-3 bull calves a year.

Heifers:
Heifers bring $$$ - but not a sure sale every year. May sell 1 or 10. My price is high on my little girls. So, some times I don't sell many. Past 10 years or so, that hasn't been the problem. Keeping enough for replacements has been!
Start out with PICK by 4-15 for $4500. Obviously, you always hope someone that doesn't have a GOOD eye wants my pick. LOL These are Jan/Feb born, so only 2-3 months old. After that, they are priced individually - depending on how much I want to keep in the herd. Might be based on looks or pedigree - but a lot on cow families and if I can replace her with a sibling.

PB Sale - I only consign to 1 sale, that myself & a couple others started and/or run. I generally put 6 in the sale. Always a crap shoot as to whether or not I get what they are worth (to me) - but it is great advertising. People may get a good buy, then they come direct to me for more. Sent 5 head out to NE after he bought 1 out of the sale.

In ANY business, REPUTATION IS EVERYTHING. Whether it is service, quality of product, or guarantee - stand behind your sale.

In ANY business, REPUTATION IS EVERYTHING. Whether it is service, quality of product, or guarantee - stand behind your sale.
Bingo! Out of all the advice any of us have given about how to make it in this business, this may be the most valuable. What kind of horses did you raise, Jeanne?

Bingo! Out of all the advice any of us have given about how to make it in this business, this may be the most valuable. What kind of horses did you raise, Jeanne?
This is the best advice for any business whether cattle or something else. My Dad has always said if your honest in your business and provide a quality service you will always have work.

We originally got into BEEF cattle because we got burned on raising horses. The idea was we didn't need to have a "name" with beef cattle. Get paid by the pound. Then - we fell in love with Simmentals. Guess what - if you raise PB anything, you need a reputation to sell for decent money. I have a small SS income, but my cattle make a living for me.
Yes, my baby girls make my living. But, my males do well for me.

Males:
Selling weaned steer calves by the pound makes me money. My steers generally will bring around $1000 (700# x $1.45 = $1015). So, unless the market absolutely tanks, I make out well with them. But, I tell everyone you can't rely on the local market., You need to FIND your market to sell direct to a feedlot. That is, if you raise good cattle. My steers grow and make a feedlot money. Sold in October
Also, I feed out some steers for freezer trade. That's been a money maker!
Show steers - your pick $1500 - pickup in October
Bull CALVES - your pick $1850 - pickup in October. (if not sold, castrate and feedlot guy is happy to add them to the group). This hasn't been a problem past few years. Since I only sell them as calves, people would call and want pick of the bulls. More than once, I would have to tell them pick was sold. So, they would say, "OK, I want pick for next year". I had 4 sold before they were born in 2021 (sold 5), had 5 in 2022 sold before calving (sold 7) and this year I only had 2 sold before calving. 95% go to commercial buyers. Simmental is exploding around here, I guess. I rarely sold more than 1-3 bull calves a year.

Heifers:
Heifers bring $$$ - but not a sure sale every year. May sell 1 or 10. My price is high on my little girls. So, some times I don't sell many. Past 10 years or so, that hasn't been the problem. Keeping enough for replacements has been!
Start out with PICK by 4-15 for $4500. Obviously, you always hope someone that doesn't have a GOOD eye wants my pick. LOL These are Jan/Feb born, so only 2-3 months old. After that, they are priced individually - depending on how much I want to keep in the herd. Might be based on looks or pedigree - but a lot on cow families and if I can replace her with a sibling.

PB Sale - I only consign to 1 sale, that myself & a couple others started and/or run. I generally put 6 in the sale. Always a crap shoot as to whether or not I get what they are worth (to me) - but it is great advertising. People may get a good buy, then they come direct to me for more. Sent 5 head out to NE after he bought 1 out of the sale.

I'd sure like to see some good pics of your bulls.

Had a conversation with a friend who isn't a farmer but he was saying it's amazing how diverse the cattle industry is and how many different ways there are to run cattle. So true.

I wouldn't really say what we do is anything new but we've run cow calf as long as I remember. Never got rich but always paid the bills. Maybe 5 years ago we started raising replacement heifers and selling breds in fall. That has been a good venture. A lot less labour, a good way to add value to heifers who can be a bit undervalued in the in the sale ring, can also run more head on pasture than with cow/calf. Margins have been similar to cow calf but dollars per acre will be much higher. And we also do a bit of AI in our cow herd. Raising our own commercial bulls and improving our replacement quality.

I'd sure like to see some good pics of your bulls.
Remember, these are calves. Blaze face looking at camera was January steer probably at weaning time.
Cow calf being shown: 2 yr old dam with bull calf.
Yellow tags are males. Red tags females
Bottom pic, on right is 2 yr old dam, left her steer.

Attachments

• 20211004_101942 (2).jpg
    20211004_101942 (2).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 3369.jpeg
    3369.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200908_071417.jpg
    20200908_071417.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 26
Quarter horses. Old Bar 3 pedigree?? Many years ago.
I bet you meant Three Bars, the TB credited with putting the :cow" in Quarter Horses. He was a TB race horse that earned registration as a QH. His offspring dominated Quarter horse racing. But he had a grandson, Doc Bar, that didn;t do much on the track, and won a halter class or two, but OMG, he was the most prolific sire of cutting horse champions ever. Did you race or compete in cow horse events?

Latest posts