Making money in cattle!

Help Support CattleToday:

I think Tom Brothers have mostly black now. But Ellen should know the breeders in that area and I think will be helpful. Knew her from the junior simmental program when my kids were involved almost 20 years ago.

There are plenty of red simmental in the northern US, but those need to travel to Texas in the fall for climate acclimation. Northern cattle moving to the south in the spring tend to suffer.

If Simbrah would work, the Travis family (Pine Ridge Ranch) in Athens have real world practical cattle, I think. Jane likes to talk cattle. Might be ideal for south Texas.

Fred at Simmentals of Texas is an old guy with a lot of success and experience with simmental and lots of knowlege and connections. https://www.facebook.com/fred.schietze/
Those are some good looking animals at Pine Ridge.

I'm accumulating more and more of these 1/4 and 1/8 heifers. They may be able to go back to Simbrah. They looked cleaner than the Brangus, Braford, etc you usually see.

Brute, I would think the Simbrah would suit you to a Tee. I bought a simbrah female when I first started and I believe still to this day she was the best all around cow I have had. A few of her linage are still in the herd. A gray calf will still show up sometimes from a cow that shows no brahman influence at all. The cows sometimes get pretty big though.

Those are some good looking animals at Pine Ridge.

I'm accumulating more and more of these 1/4 and 1/8 heifers. They may be able to go back to Simbrah. They looked cleaner than the Brangus, Braford, etc you usually see.
Real world practical cattle at PRR. No show cattle there.
7P has a spring sale in February. Warren Garret is a sales consultant and a Texas boy. Warren was previously an employee of the simmental association traveling texas and adjacent states for simmental sales support. He will know about every simmental and simbrah producer in Texas - good and bad. His contact information is in the 7P catalog, page 3.

No money in a high-corriente?

I'm not gonna give it a go either!

The highland and belties seem to do pretty good on Craig's. Dexter's too.

I think the best is the beltie/hereford cross and hope for a "panda" calf.

Ok. Back to our regularly scheduled programming....

@Brute 23 I'm looking for a pic of a sim bull I was gonna buy a while back. Had he been red.....

He's a chunk. My kind of bull.

Makes the current big bellied, light muscled bulls look like girls.

Wish you had a good pic from the side.
At the time they wanted 2750 for him. Was a lot of money for me. He did have some double digit calving ease bulls as well. Same price. All were about 18 months old.

I ended up borrowing a bull that year. Was only a couple years into cattle at the time

A few guys around here used to raise Heifers for a special sale every year. Every year they'd buy 100 or so heifers and raise and breed them for the sale. Looked like a good deal to me. They would raise a different breed every year. I don't think they had any cattle other than the heifers and they always did well at it.

I'm coming to the realization that in the cattle business a penny not spent equals two pennies earned because whatever you spend on heads, you'll later have to spend on feed. So if you are free ranging, don't over stock to keep your inputs low. In spring, buy twice as much hay as you think you'll need in winter. And buy bred cows. Don't wait for heifers to become mommas. Good luck.

One problem as I see it with cow/calf or similar endeavors is the length of time required to generate a sale.
If money is generated at the point of sale it make sense to have a product to sell more often. As far as cattle there is nothing I like better than the
anticipation of new birth in the spring and that very few minutes spent in the auction ring. While I enjoy the rest it is for the most part just
batting practice or cleaning the gun getting ready for the game or hunt. So it would seem to me if you want to make more in cattle you need to
sell cattle more often. (talking to myself as well) This can be difficult if one is employed and depending on a job for cash flow and day to day
necessities. There are maybe four or five on these pages that if I had the chance I would pick their minds and apply some of that knowledge to
my operation. The common denominator from where I set is they do not limit themselves to only one point of sale per year. To sum it up it may
not be so much of an issue of how much but how often. [hope that made sense]
We are thinking along the same lines 100 percent.

Liking the idea of buying heavy y breds and cal ingredients them out. Do a couple groups a year l. Wean calves and sell cows. Get more calves to take to finish that way. Ever-changing market makes me scratch my head though.

Been reading up on sell/buy approach since Texas Papaw brought it to my attention a few days ago. Seems like a no brainer. But a lot to it.

You just need to sell fat cows for beef. Let some old guy buy and deliver them to you so you don't run your trailer in the ditch while eating ice cream.
(Everyone ask him what that means)
Had a HW of 889 pounds and another at 897. 😂 Dang felt bad about it for a few minutes. Then felt real good! Sure are pretty hanging there.

Yup. Guilty as charged. It was good dang ice cream.

Gonna make some kind of change on the inventory this year. I'm tired of the permanent fixtures. I've fed my way through the drought and won't do it again. We live and we learn.

Well, if someone is buying steers to grow out and sell, and they can pay you rent and still make money, then why not buy them yourself and make all the money?
Just a matter of having the flow to do that for me. Good point though. But them making money... is it guaranteed? Always?

I had some friends several years back that ran about 1,000 head. They'd buy opens and get them bred. Usually they'd generally sell in groups of 20 or more. They did pretty could for allot of years then broke up the partnership and got out. I think what made it work was they just had a revolving loan that they only paid interest payments on. This kept cost down.