Making a silage wagon into a feed wagon?

Help Support CattleToday:

rRandel

Reaction score
was wondering if anybody has thought of making a old silage wagon in a feed wagon for ground hay?
Has anybody done it? Seen one?

My situation is feeding ground hay in tires, currently just using tractor and loader but you have to get off and use a pitch fork or silage fork to put the hay into the tires because the loader bucket is wider than the tires. With that you have multiple trips in and out of gates and some of these cows seem to think it would be better to just eat from that great big pile of hay and follow you right out the gate. Im not trying to make this more difficult than it should be so if anybody has a better idea ill listen, currently feeding just cows in the winter here in Iowa, having a full time job and 45 head of cows keeps a guy busy so im trying to think of a little better way of doing it. Any help and thoughts are great THANKS!

I've heard of people doing what your saying so it will work. My concerns would be that it may be slow (but faster than a pitchfork and multiple trips for sure), and the wagon being able to throw the silage far enough into the center of the tire (A chain type unloader may work but I don't think an auger type would). You might want to look around a bit for a used Kelly Ryan wagon.

Seen it done. Silage wagon are very cheap here.
Remove the top and cut down the sides.
Some leave the back higher in case you need to blow in green chop.
Some add a short downward angled chute to throw the feed farther.

Latest posts