Make Kentucky Cattle Great Again?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":3ftdv2d3 said:
Bright Raven":3ftdv2d3 said:
kenny thomas":3ftdv2d3 said:
Do you think the vet comes to the farm or stockyard and walks among the calves before they are shipped? Im not sure what all they certify but i do know many times they never even see the calves. Your very good at figuring out what everything is, much better than I am. Show us what a health certificate states. Does it state that they don't have something like foot and mouth or that they will never get sick again. Somewhere in between I bet.
There is a load here that was sold on Bluegrass video sale and goes out Tuesday from the farm. I'm betting, without knowing for sure, that the vet will not see the calves. But i will find out.

Don't get defensive. I ask you because in sincerity, you involve yourself far more than I do in the functions of stockyard sales. So relax. You are asking questions back at me rather than answering mine. If you don't know, fine. There is no penalty.

My point is that Dr. Moran was providing Barber with presigned certifications. It was a conspiracy to circumvent the intent of the law thereby defrauding the United States. You seem to think this is routine. I guess you are saying it is.
Sorry if I seemed defensive because that was not my intent. I have seen lots of health papers handed to the truck drivers but never actually read one. I'm just saying dozens of loads leave the east every week heading for the west. Would keep several vets busy certifing their health. Do you know of any vet that specializes in checking health? I dont. If it's actually serious it seems it would be a full time job.

Dr. Stanfield certifies for Maysville. He is my personal vet. He is extremely meticulous. I would bet my life that if he certifies an animal, he has checked that animal. I know him too well. If anything, he goes overboard.

I'm not doubting many vets do a great job. But I can't easily figure out what a health certificate states. Tried Google and read a lot. More confused now.
Ron, it seems if I come to your farm and buy a bull from you I need a health certificate. Do you provide a certificate for cattle going to Missouri? It seems its required even if your hauling and still owning the animal.

kenny thomas":7v9xzr4z said:
I'm not doubting many vets do a great job. But I can't easily figure out what a health certificate states. Tried Google and read a lot. More confused now.
Ron, it seems if I come to your farm and buy a bull from you I need a health certificate. Do you provide a certificate for cattle going to Missouri? It seems its required even if your hauling and still owning the animal.

Yes. When I haul cattle out of state, Dr. Stanfield comes out and completes a certificate. I could find one but like you, I have never looked at them in detail. I know the main thing he does is check their temperature, look for signs of illness, and records vaccinations. If it is heifers, he gives them a bangs shot and puts a clip in their ear.

Bright Raven":gl3vftlz said:
kenny thomas":gl3vftlz said:

Yes. When I haul cattle out of state, Dr. Stanfield comes out and completes a certificate. I could find one but like you, I have never looked at them in detail. I know the main thing he does is check their temperature, look for signs of illness, and records vaccinations. If it is heifers, he gives them a bangs shot and puts a clip in their ear.
Thats good business.
Ok, do you see the same being done for every calf on every load that leaves your area?

kenny thomas":181g1ub7 said:

We sell bred heifers at a sale less than 20 miles from here to the stockyards and have to have health papers on hand in case somebody out of state buys them. I really haven't paid much attention to what's on them just know that the approximate age, breed and sex are listed. Then I guess that the vet states that they have met whatever health requirements there are,
Years ago when in the registered business we were stopped by a state patrol I think it was in Lexington. We were going to Danville Ky to a Charolais sale with a couple cows and calves. Thankfully we had the paperwork, he said he was suspicious and stopped us because he knew Lexington wasn't selling that day. I didn't and still don't know what to make of that. That was probably 30 years ago.

kenny thomas":20kzu5a9 said:
Bright Raven":20kzu5a9 said:
kenny thomas":20kzu5a9 said:

Thats good business.
Ok, do you see the same being done for every calf on every load that leaves your area?

I just assume they have to. I have hauled to Tennessee and out to Missouri. If you are stopped without the papers, you are subject to charges.

What these guys did is more serious. They conspired to circumvent the law.

Ky hills":2asmbft0 said:
kenny thomas":2asmbft0 said:

We sell bred heifers at a sale less than 20 miles from here to the stockyards and have to have health papers on hand in case somebody out of state buys them. I really haven't paid much attention to what's on them just know that the approximate age, breed and sex are listed. Then I guess that the vet states that they have met whatever health requirements there are,
Years ago when in the registered business we were stopped by a state patrol I think it was in Lexington. We were going to Danville Ky to a Charolais sale with a couple cows and calves. Thankfully we had the paperwork, he said he was suspicious and stopped us because he knew Lexington wasn't selling that day. I didn't and still don't know what to make of that. That was probably 30 years ago.
When you sell feeder cattle at any stockyard in the area a high percentage of them gets shipped west that night. Where then does the information that is needed for the health come from?

Bright Raven":3rvdwh6v said:
kenny thomas":3rvdwh6v said:
Bright Raven":3rvdwh6v said:
Thats good business.

I just assume they have to. I have hauled to Tennessee and out to Missouri. If you are stopped without the papers, you are subject to charges.

Ok, so on a load lot do you think a vet takes the temp of every calf and each calf has vaccination records?

kenny thomas":3ic714o2 said:
Bright Raven":3ic714o2 said:
kenny thomas":3ic714o2 said:
Thats good business.

Ok, so on a load lot do you think a vet takes the temp of every calf and each calf has vaccination records?

I bet not. I think Darin does that because I only haul a couple or three. I think there is only about 3 things that is required. I doubt feeder heifers require a brucellosis vaccine. BTW: You probably know, only a vet can give a brucellosis shot.

kenny thomas":1bup0fg7 said:
Ok what are those 3 things required? I'm serious because I learned nothing trying to Google it.

I would have to find some of my old papers. I think actually, I gave those to the person receiving the livestock. I don't have an answer. Did you Google "certificate of health for transporting cattle across state lines"?

kenny thomas":v1dw1wwo said:
Ok what are those 3 things required? I'm serious because I learned nothing trying to Google it.

Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI)

When a CVI is required, it must accompany each shipment and list the following information:

Consignor and location from which the animals have been moved;
Name and address of the owner at the time of movement;
Consignee and destination of the animals;
Number of animals covered by the certificate;
Purpose for which the animals are to be moved;
Individual official identification of each test-eligible animal;
Dates and results of the official tests;
Age;
Official calfhood vaccination (OCV) status of each animal (OCV tattoo); and
If required, a permit number issued by the State of destination

Bright Raven":3nvs1b8z said:
kenny thomas":3nvs1b8z said:

I would have to find some of my old papers. I think actually, I gave those to the person receiving the livestock. I don't have an answer. Did you Google "certificate of health for transporting cattle across state lines"?

Found it. See above

Bright Raven":u2a2lzas said:
kenny thomas":u2a2lzas said:

Yes the person receiving the cattle would have gotten the papers.
I did Google that and read a bunch but learned nothing. Seems if I take a pet with me on vacation I need papers also.

kenny thomas":otjulyhg said:
Ky hills":otjulyhg said:
kenny thomas":otjulyhg said:

When you sell feeder cattle at any stockyard in the area a high percentage of them gets shipped west that night. Where then does the information that is needed for the health come from?

That is something that I wonder too, I certainly don't have an answer, an uneducated guess would be that who ever does it makes an approximate estimate based on weight and or visual appraisal.

kenny thomas":3ie0qvjw said:
Bright Raven":3ie0qvjw said:
kenny thomas":3ie0qvjw said:

Yes the person receiving the cattle would have gotten the papers.
I did Google that and read a bunch but learned nothing. Seems if I take a pet with me on vacation I need papers also.

When I get my papers, I have to put the animal in the chute for Dr Stanfield to examine.

Bright Raven":2ptawv8i said:
kenny thomas":2ptawv8i said:

When a CVI is required, it must accompany each shipment and list the following information:

Age;
Ok, someone in this discussion said they sold at Bluegrass Stockyards. So if one of the buyers had an order for 500-575 lb black steers to be delivered to Nebraska. Since filling that order may mean buying calves from let's say 15 different farms what would the health certificate state?

Bright Raven, I'm not trying to be controversial but trying to show that the health certificate may or may not be worth the paper it's written on.

kenny thomas":qe8b2zv4 said:
Bright Raven":qe8b2zv4 said:
kenny thomas":qe8b2zv4 said:

Age;
Ok, someone in this discussion said they sold at Bluegrass Stockyards. So if one of the buyers had an order for 500-575 lb black steers to be delivered to Nebraska. Since filling that order may mean buying calves from let's say 15 different farms what would the health certificate state?

I thought about that. I bet they list the Stockyards as the Consignor.

Latest posts