My Yearly Cattle costs are 55 cents/day/cow in Texas, What am I doing wrong?

Help Support CattleToday:

20220123_145906.jpg
Hello CB my name is #2 and I've been paying 1/2 the taxes on this ranch for around 8 yrs now. Why do you insist I haven't?

20220123_150307.jpg
CB, I'm #33 and had a calf a few hours ago so the Rancher gave me my own click of feed. In return I'm gonna pay the other 1/2 of his 2023 taxes.

Do you write off your taxes, insurance, supplies, meds, fertilizer, feed, fuel etc on the Schedule F.
If yes it's a cow expense.
It's that simple.
Of course I do this is a business just like our other business and it has to make money. The great thing about cattle is that they allow you to make money on an appreciating asset..ie the land. The land is an investment just like any other investment we have and fortunately it has done really well for us. I plan on going to the TAMU classes this year so maybe after August I'll be up to speed on this cattle deal.

Of course I do this is a business just like our other business and it has to make money. The great thing about cattle is that they allow you to make money on an appreciating asset..ie the land. The land is an investment just like any other investment we have and fortunately it has done really well for us. I plan on going to the TAMU classes this year so maybe after August I'll be up to speed on this cattle deal.
It's a great course if you go in with an open mind. It will make you reevaluate how you do some things.

No land is a liability that assets are spent on until you sell it.
It's like the people that buy a 100k house and sell it ten years later for 200k claiming they made 100k.
They never count ten years of payments, insurance, taxes and upkeep .

It's a great course if you go in with an open mind. It will make you reevaluate how you do some things.

No land is a liability that assets are spent on until you sell it.
It's like the people that buy a 100k house and sell it ten years later for 200k claiming they made 100k.
They never count ten years of payments, insurance, taxes and upkeep .
As opposed to the 10 years of rent they would have given a landlord?

The point you missed is they didn't make 100K might have made a little.
Secondly if you really think you own your land stop paying the taxes.
Stop paying rent and see how long you get to stay.

Ownership of real estate is the fundamental building block of wealth creation in a free society.

The point you missed is they didn't make 100K might have made a little.
Secondly if you really think you own your land stop paying the taxes.
Haha. I knew it would come out, the problem you have with land taxes. I added that hopefully my grandkids would really benefit from the land in my earlier post but deleted it. You are correct that the land is a liability of sorts. It continually goes up in value but cost me a pile of money. My 401k keeps going up in value but cost me a pile of money as well, is it a liability or an asset? We love having the ranch but get zero enjoyment from the 401k.

I've been meaning to go to the TAMU course for years. I plan on going to the nutrition and feed course, the grass and pasture course, and hopefully the butchering course. I've managed to expand the cow herd,buy equipment, and expand the ranch for the last 15 yrs and I'm just a knuckle dragger that barely made it through High School so I'll skip the economics part. Any Dumbo can run a profit and loss sheet.

As I stated in the other thread,I don't count some things against the cattle because I would own them with or without the cattle. I don't count the property taxes against them because I would own the land without the cattle, I would own my truck without the cattle. The way I see it, I would probably spend more maintaining my property without cattle on it and wouldn't get to write it off on my taxes either. Before I bought my place it had no cattle run on it, just bushhogged, nothing but sage grass, now I have some of the best pasture in the area thanks to feeding hay and rotating cattle on it.

Latest posts