Make Kentucky Cattle Great Again?

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbluegrass said:
************* said:

I don't see how it can pencil out for a herd of 15-30 cows to AI AND have a live bull for clean-up.

If the cows are going to be synced on a fixed time AI, that will require taking at least one day off of work. If we assume a 7 day CO-Synch + CIDR or something with 7 days between runs through the chute, which I am assuming can be scheduled for days that are already off work (weekends if you get them off). If just one day off work is required, what is that, another $200 (assuming $25 an hour at 8 hours) you have to account for in the cost to AI. If you had to take all three days off for each run through the chute, that is $600 in lost work income. That will surely push AI into a "no go" for most people. Unless you can just hire the AI tech to come out and round up the cows and run them through the chute for you. Of course, I wouldn't expect that to be a free service either. I am making many assumptions, just to make the point that there are many considerations to doing AI if you are just a part time hobby farmer. It sure isn't something I would expect most beef producers to be able to make work.

I was not disagreeing that dairy farms use/used AI extensively. AI and dairy cows go together fairly easily. The cows are already being brought into the barn twice a day for milking. I don't know of anyone who runs their beef cows in the barn twice a day, except maybe during calving in the north.

It sounds like there is a market in the area for $1,000-$1,500 bulls. Considering 500 lb feeder bulls are topping out around $750 at the sale barn right now, I think a savy cattleman can see the opportunity. Let's say some of these better managed commercial operations with 20 cows started doing 100% AI. They could breed their cows to a proven AI bull. Let's say they have 19 calves (1 loss at birth or during pregnancy). They need to keep another 1-2 heifers for replacements. Let's say they are left with 9 bulls and 7 heifers to sell. For the bulls, the producer could make an EXTRA $2,250 total a year selling bulls at weaning for breeding rather than at the sale barn. For the heifers, let's assume $200 over the sale barn price for AI bred heifers at weaning (assuming around 500 lbs). What is that, an EXTRA $3,500 to $8,000 a year in farm income. While that won't wow everyone, it will easily pay for the extra hassle of doing AI. It seems like a win - win. They will be selling better genetics to "make Kentucky cattle great again". They would be providing a very affordable live bull. They would be putting some extra money in their own pocket. These won't be registered bulls. No papers. They could easily be Hoover Dam or SAV America sons! It would only take maybe 10% of the commercial operations to do 100% AI to take care of the other 90% of commercial operations breeding stock needs. What do you think Mr Branded? Is that the genetic improvement you were talking about that we need in the state? I can see the above scenario working out. I might even participate!

I think that would be a huge improvement, and your idea makes sense.

Everyone on here should know that I'm not putting down their herds or shaking fingers. All I'm suggesting is this, talk to anyone that has AI'd to Hoover Dam or some other top AI sire, and ask them "were the daughters an improvement over the cows" Nearly all will say "absolutely"

I'm not expecting the entire state to buy a semen tank, take a class, and AI everything in sight. That is never going to happen, but with the advances in technology and semen quality, a small herd could do AI and see some serious improvement in 3-5 years.

As for selling non papered bulls. If you could somehow prove to someone that your bull is a genuine Hoover Dam son, not a fake, maybe a simple DNA blood sample test, then I can almost assure you that a commercial producer would rather have a commericial Hoover Dam son without papers, than the fanciest homegrown you could ever produce.

Run an ad in Cow Country news that says "10 homegrown bulls, good quality $1500" and you will get calls. Run an ad that says "10 DNA proven commercial Hoover Dam sons, $1500, 12-15 months old service ready" and your phone will be ringing off the hook.

Not to mention you save your best bull out of Hoover Dam, develop him, and he becomes your "too expensive to buy" herd bull with his replacements coming each and every year as you use different AI sires. You didn't buy a bull, you created him. Take your best 2-3 Hoover Dam heifers, breed them to Sydgen Enhance or Bar R Jet Black and when you get a son, you have an even better bull for cleanup. Repeat that over and over.

The only reason I am able to sell bulls is convenience and the work that went into the genetics. It takes a long time to create something really good, and most people don't want to take the time to do that. It's just easier to write a check and back up the trailer. I'm working on some registered Angus crosses right now that if someone wanted to replicate them, it would probably take 4 years, first you have to make the daughter, then get a bull out of that daughter. That takes a LOT of time. You get paid for your time if you have something special.

Saw that and bit about it in Cow Country News too. I'm buying fence with my hand out money this year. Putting it on a farm big tobacco is paying for too.

An update:https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/counties/fayette-county/article229663084.html