Maine cross

Help Support CattleToday:

cmak

Reaction score
Anybody have input on Maine Anjou crosses? Recently purchased a 1/2 Maine/angus bull to cover my Hereford cows with the intentions of producing some nice replacement heifers that will really produce some milk.
Really excited to see how the calf crop turns our, there's just not a lot of Maine influence in my area. TIA

Had a client back in the 1980s who had them - the original red & white color. Big cows with heavy bone structure.
Haven't seen any recently that weren't part of the club calf/showring deal... black now, and still with a lot of bone.

Have had some Maine cross cows. Just like all cattle, they were hit or miss as cows. Most lines are selected for show, not so much maternal function, so if a cow was good it was probably more by accident. Have one old 12-year old cow left and she will be hitting the road this fall just to make room for registered Angus females. This cow looks like she is still in the prime of her life other than a saggy bag. Really depends on the pedigree. There is a lot of variation in the breed.

Have had some Maine cross cows. Just like all cattle, they were hit or miss as cows. Most lines are selected for show, not so much maternal function, so if a cow was good it was probably more by accident. Have one old 12-year old cow left and she will be hitting the road this fall just to make room for registered Angus females. This cow looks like she is still in the prime of her life other than a saggy bag. Really depends on the pedigree. There is a lot of variation in the breed.
how is the disposition of your Maine cows? I have heard mixed opinions on there temperament
I am hoping these calves will have a little structure to them, my Hereford cows are great mothers so hopefully that small percentage of Maine have too much effect on maternal traits.

Ours were easy to get along with. But again, it boils down to pedigree. This bull threw some "waspy" attitudes that matched the name. https://www.bovine-elite.com/shop/beef-semen-sales-registered/maine-anjou/yellow-jacket/
Seems the Maine part is usually fine. There are not many purebred Maine breeders in the USA. They are farm cattle in France. The chianina crossed in may be the source of the fire in some of them. It really boils down to what is in the pedigree.

Latest posts