Luring the 'sensitive carnivore'--oxymoronic?

Help Support CattleToday:

The type of people who want to know where their food comes from are the kind of people I want to do business with. I think informed consumers are going to be one of the only ways the small producer will be able to stay (or get back in) the market.

We hope to sell our beef, pork, and chicken on our animal welfare and environmental reputation. I can already charge a premium for my hay because we advertise that we provide habitat for grassland birds.

We've even thought about advertising our products as "Meat that even a Vegetarian can eat"!

I think that too many labels could lead to confusion and/or usurpation by the big boys, but all in all, I think providing choices for consumers is one of the benefits of capitalism.

It's a trick. Humans are not carnivores, we're omnivores. We can eat and process both plants and meat. Animal rights people like to throw out the word Carnivore in their arguments because they can win the argument that humans aren't carnivores. This article isn't an AR article, I guess, though I didn't read it. There are groups pressuring big companies to only buy meat from producers that meet certain "humane" standards of animal treatment or that do less damage to the environment. For example, McDonalds in England just agreed not to buy beef that had been fed soybean meal from illegal soybeans grown in Brazil. And a couple of years ago, KFC asked their chicken suppliers to increase the size of the cages they're raising chickens in because of public pressure from AR groups. This can be a good market for producers wanting to sell direct or willing to have their operation checked every so often to be sure they're meeting the criteria.

badaxemoo":3opgvoy6 said:
We've even thought about advertising our products as "Meat that even a Vegetarian can eat"!

As a non-vegetarian, I'd read that and go "Hmm.. Either it's fake or really, really bland." :lol:

How about "Vegetarian? So was this cow!"

Or maybe "...it's not like YOU killed it."

Or maybe "Somebody's gonna eat it. Might as well be you!"

Sorry.. I'll stop now. :D

badaxemoo":3302ypte said:

All vegetarians are not created equal.

My daughter doesn't eat beef...not because of any moral or ethical issues connected to it...she just flat doesn't like it...never has since she was a child...well, except when she's pregnant, and then she'll knock you down to get to it.

Anyway, the reason she doesn't eat beef is because of what she considers a "heavy" taste...and she doesn't like the texture. And, come to find out, she's not the only one that doesn't eat beef because of the same reasons.

I can see where there might be a niche market for "Meat that even a Vegetarian can eat."

Alice

Latest posts