Lump ? for V the V or...

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Concerning those lumps that are often present after giving alpha7 blackleg or equivalent: What would one find if they cut into one of those knots?

My wife is the type that wants to cut into everything but I won't let her unless it's necessary. This is more of a curiousity issue.

Thanks

cfpinz

cfpinz":1vey4w3q said:
Concerning those lumps that are often present after giving alpha7 blackleg or equivalent: What would one find if they cut into one of those knots?

Generallly either necrotic muscle tissue, or inflamed subcutaneous tissue, usually discoloured. Not really palatable looking, thus please ensure given in the neck as directed.....in a cheaper cut.

V

Dusty - Rubbing it does help, tried it this year. Noticeable improvement.

Vicky - What color would you expect the tissue to turn?

Thanks

cfpinz

cfpinz":17niyhnr said:
Dusty - Rubbing it does help, tried it this year. Noticeable improvement.

Vicky - What color would you expect the tissue to turn?

Thanks

cfpinz

A lovely yellowish green is the most common colour...and necrotic tissue is anything from grey to green with evidence of dead muscle bellies....

it seems like blackleg shots usually leave a knot. we change needles every shot instead of about 5 hd per needle. the knots have gone way down.

We had a calf last year that got large knots it seemed with every stick. We had 2 of them lanced. Vet used a scapel and the junk that came out was like vanilla pudding. It was yucky!

Farmgirl

I have thought about cutting those but never have.They will go away but it takes a long time. I have always thought it was a reaction to the chenical alone but I have heard others say it is a dull needle

Farmgirl":an8zhioq said:
We had a calf last year that got large knots it seemed with every stick. We had 2 of them lanced. Vet used a scapel and the junk that came out was like vanilla pudding. It was yucky!

Farmgirl

Did it taste like vanilla pudding?

cfpinz

Eeww - gross!!
The lumps can be from either/or both - needles (dull, moved during injection, etc) or from the meds. Generally, it's the "carrier" in the vaccine that causes the lumps, and Killed Vaccines will cause more lumps than the MLV. "Usually" the lump is from an alergic reaction to the carrier. If that's the case, there wouldn't/shouldn't have any infection and should EVENTUALLY go away on its own (although I have seen them stay forever!).

I have one heifer that gets a reaction/lump every single time she's given a shot - any shot, at that. Right now the whole right side of her neck/shoulder is swollen up from the vaccines she was given 2-3 weeks ago.

My vet's rule of thumb... if they're soft, lance them, if they're hard, leave them alone.

Leave them alone and the'll come home....wagging their tails behind them.

Couldn't resist...

Rubbing helps but we just ignore them and they go away in time, always have been hard.
We...always...use a fresh needle and syringe with every shot.
Comes with being married to a RN I guess.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

Latest posts