Lowline angus Miniature hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954, high prices doesn't really apply to these mini breeds. They may have low inputs, but you're at mercy at how the customers controlling the market with these mini cattle.

Always ask yourself why did I get such a good deal? There's no market for small cattle around this part, I don't ever remember seeing any Lowlines or mini's in my travels. How thick would you have to cut the t - bones to get a 22 oz steak?

highgrit":3qqxaocd said:
Always ask yourself why did I get such a good deal? There's no market for small cattle around this part, I don't ever remember seeing any Lowlines or mini's in my travels. How thick would you have to cut the t - bones to get a 22 oz steak?

Some people prefer a 4oz filet and a 4oz strip off of a lowline steer vs. a 22oz t-bone from your steer. The market of beef consumers is full of heterosis.

From experience you can breed a FB lowline cow to a low BW angus and be just fine. Brother in law had some out of Special Focus (or at least that's what I thought he said) a couple years ago. Father in law has some 3/4 LL cows that have been bred to a Simi and Char bulls and had no problem getting the calves on the ground. They might require a little babysitting and your odds of problems go up, but if you're smart about what you're doing probably should be fine. Never going to be big cattle, but might make some 1100# fat steers out of cows that don't eat much.

Engler":1kvjzo5q said:
From experience you can breed a FB lowline cow to a low BW angus and be just fine. Brother in law had some out of Special Focus (or at least that's what I thought he said) a couple years ago. Father in law has some 3/4 LL cows that have been bred to a Simi and Char bulls and had no problem getting the calves on the ground. They might require a little babysitting and your odds of problems go up, but if you're smart about what you're doing probably should be fine. Never going to be big cattle, but might make some 1100# fat steers out of cows that don't eat much.
I would add one more thing, buyers usually didn't really discriminate the fats if they're not black or not angus as long as the fats are finished and all ready to be butchered.

Latest posts