Love baldie babies

Help Support CattleToday:

This is the first baldy replacement heifer that I kept & her first calf born 3 weeks ago. The other calf was born 1 week ago. All other cows are commercial black angus. I lease a bull every year & used a new registered Hereford for 2023. I'm in the DFW area & prefer calves be born in November but I was late getting the bull & will have Dec/Jan calves. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the baldy cattle or should just stick with black angus.

Attachments

• IMG_8820.jpeg
    IMG_8820.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8662.jpeg
    IMG_8662.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8691.jpeg
    IMG_8691.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 11
This is the first baldy replacement heifer that I kept & her first calf born 3 weeks ago. The other calf was born 1 week ago. All other cows are commercial black angus. I lease a bull every year & used a new registered Hereford for 2023. I'm in the DFW area & prefer calves be born in November but I was late getting the bull & will have Dec/Jan calves. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the baldy cattle or should just stick with black angus.
They look good to me!!
Who wants a plain ol black calf anyway?

They look good to me!!
Who wants a plain ol black calf anyway?
The baldy calves I sold in 2022 didn't bring as much as black angus calves have in the past. I did keep this one replacement heifer that I think looks pretty good. My 2023 calves were black angus but I decided to try a different hereford bull in 2023. Those calves are dropping now. Let's see how they grow.

The baldy calves I sold in 2022 didn't bring as much as black angus calves have in the past. I did keep this one replacement heifer that I think looks pretty good. My 2023 calves were black angus but I decided to try a different hereford bull in 2023. Those calves are dropping now. Let's see how they grow.
It is hard for an owner/breeder to be able to criticize their own animals. "Maybe" the baldies weren't the quality of the solid black calves?

Correct. Barn blind is the term I use. They "love" them and see no wrong. Just like a lot of the death warmed over skinny cattle posted on CL. People don't SEE how bad they are.
I honestly can look at one of my yearlings & think.."she looks good" but then see her in a different light & think.."she kind of looks like a pot belly pig". Here are 2 different 12 month old heifers.

Attachments

• IMG_8935.jpeg
    IMG_8935.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8936.jpeg
    IMG_8936.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts