Lost another one to a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

The picture on the website shows one of the Michailis Ranch herd sires (Blanco) to be a horned bull--a Charolais.
I didn't realize they were ever horned.

Another article I found:
Sept. 01--

Maximillian Gustav Michaelis III died on the job. And in the Michaelis family, the job is ranching -- even at 76 years old.

Michaelis died Aug. 9 when he was injured by a bull on his ranch in Coahuila, Mexico, but initially declined to make the six-hour ride to town for treatment of his cracked ribs, his son said.

Finally, a ranch employee decided to take him, but Michaelis died on the way, according to a Mexican official quoted in the Zócalo Saltillo newspaper.

For those who knew him and the Michaelis family -- a storied line of notable ranchers who called Kyle home -- it was a fitting ending.

"He died doing what he loved, and I don't think he would have wanted to go any other way," said his son Max Michaelis IV. "The way he put it, he was in the saddle before he could walk."

He said his father was injured while working with a bull in a pen, but it's unclear exactly how the accident occurred.

RANCHING IN HIS BLOOD

The first Michaelis in Texas was Theodore, who came in the 1830s from what is now Germany to Round Top, according to a family history on the Michaelis Ranch website. A blacksmith who lost an eye while serving as a colonel in the Confederate Army, Theodore dabbled in the ranching business and planted the family's first seeds in Mexico. He lived there during Reconstruction after being accused of killing a U.S. officer, according to the ranch's nomination for the National Register of Historic Places.

It was his son Max who set up shop in Central Texas and made the ranching business an empire. Family lore has it that Max won the tract of land that would form the basis of their Kyle ranch on a horse-racing bet with Fergus Kyle, the town's namesake.

Mules and donkeys were his primary trade, and he advertised that he had more jennets than all other Texas ranchers combined. Thanks to him, Kyle was called the "Jackass Capital of the World," the ranch website says.

In 1934, he began experimenting with French Charolais cattle brought from Mexico, marking the introduction of the now-prized breed to America.

skyhightree1":2367prmk said:
never a good thing. That stinks I definately don't want to leave that way.

Every old rancher that is still alive in my area has had an accident involving a bull. I am an old rancher but very careful around the bulls. But you never know when it might happen. I have had a few bulls that made and attempt to attack me. Being that there is 4 sales a week within twenty miles of me the bulls had a new owner the next day.

Yea I never had a major close call but my bull ever so often feels his oats and wants to try to push me around till I sock him one in the nose.

skyhightree1":1ckla74k said:
Yea I never had a major close call but my bull ever so often feels his oats and wants to try to push me around till I sock him one in the nose.
That will work--------till the one time it won't.

greybeard":i7lth993 said:
skyhightree1":i7lth993 said:

:nod:

greybeard":2342f50x said:
skyhightree1":2342f50x said:

True I really honestly do not like working around them and prefer they be way away from me while in the pasture mingling with the cows.

skyhightree1":3gx4z4rl said:
If you are close enough to sock him in the nose, he is close enough to have his way with you and stomp your guts out! Be safe out there Sky!

I've never minded bulls. They are what they are and most of us respect that. They can really hurt you but very few make it personal... But when a cow wants to fight, she makes it personal. :nod:

TN Cattle Man":1845jay6 said:
skyhightree1":1845jay6 said:
If you are close enough to sock him in the nose, he is close enough to have his way with you and stomp your guts out! Be safe out there Sky!

True. I guess I have gotten to comfortable around him and I do need to nip that in the bud before something happens. I just wonder what exactly causes these bulls to turn deadly. I had a cousin that had 2 chows and the chow attacked him so badly he had to get plates an screws put in his hand. When that happened the female was in heat and my cousin was putting eye drops in her eye so i figure maybe that could be a reason for the bulls as well or maybe alot of bulls are bi-polar.

skyhightree1":3mixr7u9 said:
TN Cattle Man":3mixr7u9 said:
Be safe out there Sky!

True. I guess I have gotten to comfortable around him and I do need to nip that in the bud before something happens.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

This is called becoming complacent. Often this is how it happens.

Nip it in the bud Sky.......I'd hate to read about you being in the hospital all stoved up.

Workinonit Farm":29dibh0o said:
skyhightree1":29dibh0o said:
TN Cattle Man":29dibh0o said:
Be safe out there Sky!

True. I guess I have gotten to comfortable around him and I do need to nip that in the bud before something happens.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

This is called becoming complacent. Often this is how it happens.

Nip it in the bud Sky.......I'd hate to read about you being in the hospital all stoved up.

I would hate to be in the hospital knowing you were reading about me :D

skyhightree1":77wphh12 said:
I would hate to be in the hospital knowing you were reading about me :D

I would rather read about some piece of junky stuff that got squished......that would be funny.

Be careful sky.

a neighbor here lost his mother on her own place to a cow, no one knows exactly how it happened, but I'd bet there was a new calf around.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're watching the bull, he isn't going to go after you without showing signs of aggravation first, right? I don't like being in small pens with them, and always make sure I have an out (or up), and the same goes with cows that have just calved.... I can trust a few cows pretty well (Mega) but there are some that despite being 'pets', just have something about them that tells me to look out for them. The bulls, never did like the SH's we had, they were quick to get excited, The GV we had was perfect, cool calm and collected, and kept his distance. This Limo we have is a big baby who does like some attention, so I'll give him a pat on the back, and be on my way.

skyhightree1":2np37lwg said:

I do the same thing our bull is starting to get a little too aggressive when I'm walking towards the trough with a bucket of pellets.

A piece of PVC pipe, or a fiberglass sorting stick will make him keep his distance. I don't want them wild, I just want some space.

Nesikep":2b2emb75 said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're watching the bull, he isn't going to go after you without showing signs of aggravation first, right? .
I sure wouldn't want to count on it.

Latest posts