Lost and Stolen Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

cbcr

Reaction score
We saw a report in a Facebook group about some cattle that were stolen in Arkansas. We did a search on facebook for a Lost and stolen cattle group only to find that there is not one.

There is now as we have created the "Lost and Stolen Cattle" group on Facebook. If any of you are on facebook, we would ask that you please join and also if you would let your local law enforcement, salebarns, slaughter plants or any other business that you can think of that would join the group. By cattle owners working together networking maybe we can help someone in finding their stolen cattle and with any luck bring those responsible to justice!

Facebook is one of the last entities on earh with whom I would share information on anything.
This is not to start a debate on Facebook. You can do as you wish.
Cattle theives are the lowest of the low so maybe their names and addresses should be there.

Facebook is one of the last entities on earh with whom I would share information on anything.
This is not to start a debate on Facebook. You can do as you wish.
Cattle theives are the lowest of the low so maybe their names and addresses should be there.

We aren't real happy with facebook either, but with so many people on facebook these days, the networking capabilities are enormous. When cattle are stolen, time is of the essence to get the word and information out just as quick as possible. facebook at this time has the most members of any social media platform and is usually the first one anybody thinks of.

We just felt that there needed to be a dedicated group for the "Lost or Stolen Cattle". Most people if the have cattle stolen are at at a loss as what to do. As we move forward we will be posting some other links that they can also use. The networking is what is most important.

Hot iron brands and states that require inspection by a state brand inspector at sale or out of state transportation works a whole lot better.
I don't know. We had 15 first calf heifers stolen from our permit. The thief butchered them and sold the meat out of a truck. We had a evidence of an accomplice but couldn't prove anything. But we did create such a fuss and spread the word locally so thoroughly, that the accomplice backed off to protect his name.

Hot iron brands and states that require inspection by a state brand inspector at sale or out of state transportation works a whole lot better.
Exactly right. Texas southwestern cattleman's association rangers are very successful at recovery of stolen cattle. As long as they are branded.
I've talked to the brand inspector at the local sale many times. He says that a very high percentage (95 percent) of thefts are committed by employees, partners, family members, friends etc. Besides branding and knowing who knows your outfit he recommended not building traps in remote pastures. Use temporary panels and take them down when not in use.

I don't know. We had 15 first calf heifers stolen from our permit. The thief butchered them and sold the meat out of a truck. We had a evidence of an accomplice but couldn't prove anything. But we did create such a fuss and spread the word locally so thoroughly, that the accomplice backed off to protect his name.
Seems like it would be less work to just get a job.

No system is perfect. Butchering in remote places is one that is next to impossible to catch the theives. There are other ways to beat it, none of which I would outline on line. But I do know they go about beating the system. That said branding goes a long ways toward preventing the theft from occurring.

callmefence & Dave, I have very little experience with hot branding. (Less than 100Hd) How long does it take for an altered brand to look all original?
I freeze brand a lot, and know it takes 6wks to 6mos for it to look like what it's supposed to.
I speak to a college class on the benefits of freeze branding. I always tell them that FB are harder to alter than a hot brand. Am I giving false info?

callmefence & Dave, I have very little experience with hot branding. (Less than 100Hd) How long does it take for an altered brand to look all original?
I freeze brand a lot, and know it takes 6wks to 6mos for it to look like what it's supposed to.
I speak to a college class on the benefits of freeze branding. I always tell them that FB are harder to alter than a hot brand. Am I giving false info?
Not many bother to change brands. Most stolen cattle are just hauled from a brand inspected area to a non brand inspected area. There have been instances in Alberta and Saskatchewan where several liner loads of yearlings have disappeared from pastures, likely to be sold in Manitoba where brand inspection is not required. The dairy industry has kept brand inspection out of the Lower Mainland area of BC making it a place where small time thieves can dump a few head with no questions asked. I don't believe either brand is more difficult to change although a hot brand alteration can be seen from inside the hide. Not sure if same possible with freeze brand.

It would depend some on how long the original brand had been there. Are we talking covering the entire old brand or just adding to it. I know that a new brand has to scab over, peel, and heal before it is considered done. That can take 2 to 6 months. Adding like taking a bar over A and making it into bar over AA would be easy to spot for the better part of a year. Branding over an old brand is a huge no no. Even putting your own registered brand on top of or partially on top of an existing brand can get you in trouble. You will at least get a warning letter if the inspector knows you and you have a good reputation.
Frankly I have never heard of someone altering brands when stealing cattle. That was something in the old west but mainly in old western movies.

Where did that happen ?

They have caught stolen cattle going through a local sale barn (I40 sale barn) a few years ago. All the sale barns in NorthWest Arkansas were alerted, given pictures of the cattle and i believe these were hot branded cattle.

When these stolen cattle were run into the ring. The Auctioneer, also barn owner at the time ask the owner of the cattle to stand up. That cattle theif not being very bright stood up ! The Auctioneer told him thoes cattle were stolen and stay right where he was until the sheriff's deputies got there.

Thats when i started hot branding all of my cattle.

There were alot of cattle theifs stealing cattle around here at that time. Sounds like things haven't changed.

When cattle prices were way up there 7 or 8 years ago. The big thing among theifs were stealing calfs small enough that could be caught and man handled into a truck or trailer. Even new born calfs were being stolen and sold at sale barns.

Do you keep your calfs long enough to justify hot branding them before they are sold ? I know this is probably a stupid question and that your answer is going to be that you brand all your cattle. Which this day and time everyone should.

After the Auctioneer caught thoes stolen cattle going through his barn. While we were waiting on cattle to be run into the ring. He was talking a little about how many more branded cattle that he was seeing in the ring since he had caught thoes stolen cattle a while back.

He made a joke saying that his neighbors running cattle that joined him all hot branded their cattle now. And guessed they were worried about him stealing their cattle Lol !

There is a saying out here in the west. Trust your neighbors but brand your cattle. There is one neighbor I wouldn't trust with a slick calf.

Virtually everyone around here brands. There is a couple weeks in early April when there will be a branding nearly everyday. They are a big social event for the extended community. Almost all the neighbors will come and help out along with some outsiders. Whoever is hosting the branding will put on a big feed after the work is done. Those who run more than 200-300 head will have two days branding or more. Here calves are roped and drug to the fire. Others will use a calf table. There are good and bad points either way. Being 69 yo I spend most brandings with a vaccination gun in each hand. I am old enough to get out of wrestling. At most brandings the owner is the one applying the iron. There are enough good cowboys here to do the roping. In the past I have been to brandings where too much beer was consumed. That doesn't happen here (maybe after the work is done). People who don't behave themself are asked not to come back.

We quit branding calves 6 or 7 years ago. Used to rope and drag, the limiting factor was keeping the irons hot enough. But 100 head an hour was possible with good crew. And that with drinking beer at regular intervals. Got to the point where more people came to spectate than work, not enough young folk to wrestle anymore, etc.
Now we brand our replacement heifers in the chute before turnout in the spring. Much less stress.
I do love other peoples brandings though.

Latest posts