Lost and Stolen Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

original owner's brand must be placed as high as possible regardless of location to allow ample room for future changes of ownership/application of new brands which also are located

We don't brand in Arkansas and there is no such thing as a "Brand Inspector" here
I am from NorthWest Arkansas and there are alot of people here that brand. I don't know about a brands inspector but i had to register my brand.

Brands are not real common in Va. But to have a brand, it has to be registered and accepted. I guess so there are no duplicates etc. That is for freeze branding more than just a number. Assuming that the registering is for hot brands too, don't know anyone around that does that but freeze branding is getting a little more seen.

Looked it up and branding in Arkansas isn't mandatory and some brand without registering their brand. But if a brand is ever questioned a registered brand usually takes presidents over a non registered brand.

And too they have caught stolen cattle at the I40 sale barn that was caught before they were sold because they were branded.

I bought a bull that has a registered freeze brand. But it would be very hard to see if theifs were to run him through the sale barn. Even if you knew he was branded and knew where to look.

We have horse's that are freeze branded and the brands are very clean and stand out well.

Can you have locator or tracking implants put in the ear of cattle ? I thought at one not many years ago that was going to be a government enforced issue ?

Can you have locator or tracking implants put in the ear of cattle ? I thought at one not many years ago that was going to be a government enforced issue ?
Electronic identification button ear tags are used in many places. But the tag is easily removed with a tag knife or even a pocket knife.

Electronic identification button ear tags are used in many places. But the tag is easily removed with a tag knife or even a pocket knife.
If it wasn't for being able to remove it so easy. That would be good. I would use both a hot brand and the tracking divice IF, it could be inserted under the skin like they do on dogs and cats. So the theif wouldn't no it was there. Probably wouldn't transmit a signal if it is under the hide though ?

The visible brand would tend to be a deterrent for a theif. And the locater tag would work as a back up for a stolen animal where the brand has been altered.

Crime has really gotten bad here in NorthWest Arkansas. All shapes and forms of it.

I use to eat, sleep and breath the outdoors of all kinds. From water sking, duck hunting, deer hunting, trapping. Trail riding both equine and 4 wheelers. You name it and i was doing it.

About 3 years ago had two guys that i am pretty sure had intentions of robbing myself and friend who was in his 70's when we returned to the boat ramp right at dark after having putting some snag lines out in the Arkansas river.

It started with them blocking my truck and trailer in while i was loading the boat. And ended once i produced my 44 mag revolver and explained to the two young thugs that it would be in eveyones best interests to go our seperate ways.

I had a police report made of the incident. I have hunted fished, camped all over this part of the country without any worries at all.

I wouldn't recommend anyone stay the night at any rual forest service camp site that didn't have park attendant's . And then i would have a gun.

Crime has really gotten bad here in NorthWest Arkansas. All shapes and forms of it.

I use to eat, sleep and breath the outdoors of all kinds. From water sking, duck hunting, deer hunting, trapping. Trail riding both equine and 4 wheelers. You name it and i was doing it.

About 3 years ago had two guys that i am pretty sure had intentions of robbing myself and friend who was in his 70's when we returned to the boat ramp right at dark after having putting some snag lines out in the Arkansas river.

It started with them blocking my truck and trailer in while i was loading the boat. And ended once i produced my 44 mag revolver and explained to the two young thugs that it would be in eveyones best interests to go our seperate ways.

I had a police report made of the incident. I have hunted fished, camped all over this part of the country without any worries at all.

I wouldn't recommend anyone stay the night at any rual forest service camp site that didn't have park attendant's . And then i would have a gun.
Its getting like that more and more. For years I hunted at night and fished at night by myself and never thought about a gun. Now I won't get out of the truck without one.

We have some of the prettiest rual campgrounds with swimming areas. And alot of them located along mountain creeks that run some what. But because of number of people that swim in them and all the bacteria that results from all the people swimming. The swimming holes stay closed more than they are open.

I personally wouldn't swim in them when they are open. I use to work a summer job at the forest service when i was in high school. I would go with a forest ranger to take water samples that determined wether or not to leave them open or closed to swimming. That 45 years ago. I just thought the bacteria build up was bad then. There is no way i would dunk my head under in that water now.

callmefence & Dave, I have very little experience with hot branding. (Less than 100Hd) How long does it take for an altered brand to look all original?
I freeze brand a lot, and know it takes 6wks to 6mos for it to look like what it's supposed to.
I speak to a college class on the benefits of freeze branding. I always tell them that FB are harder to alter than a hot brand. Am I giving false info?
I have little experience with freeze branding. Dave explained things pretty well. It takes several months for a brand to heal up completely.
Your brand location is registered at the county courthouse. Mine is left hip. If I buy a branded cow that has a brand on left hip I put mine as close as possible. Never ever over the old brand. Altered brands can and are revealed by skinning the animal. It's obvious on the inside of the hide.
A good fire brand last forever. Son got me a electric iron a few years back. Works well on generator power. Sure Makes things much easier.

I think there are basically 4 kinds of cattle thieves. The first is the neighbor who doesn't overtly steal the cows. But if one gets into their field they just keep it and keep their mouth shut. They make no move to change any identification that way if they get caught they can claim they didn't know your cow was there. The second is the one who wants money now. They will haul it to the sale or other means of selling right away. They most like don't have a place to hold any cows. The third is the ones selling meat. Most of the time they butcher the cattle right out in the pasture. They pick remote pastures. And are difficult to catch unless caught in the act. The fourth are the real pro's. They know how to handle cattle. They take large quantities. They most likely know how to slip across state lines. Possibly multiple states. They have their own pastures, registered brand, and buy and sell cattle. The ones they steal are branded in another state and mixed in with ones they bought which most likely have their own brand and the brand of the original seller. Nobody is keeping count on them buying 2 and selling 3.

Range 275 yds
wind 0-6 LR>
Up 2 clicks
L of center 1 click
Wish I could remember what comes next..............................

Latest posts