Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75":1iv4kedl said:
Lucky_P":1iv4kedl said:
Cows are notoriously poor forest managers.
Hoof compaction, browsing/rubbing seedlings. etc., causes more damage and economic loss than the forage provided by running cows 'in the woods'; stats I've seen put forward say it takes about 40 acres of typical Southeastern forest to support 1 cow-calf pair.
Our cattle are fenced off from the 85 acres of hardwood forest, except for a 40-ft shade strip we allowed them when we fenced this place.
Oaks, hickories are fine. too many maples to suit me. EAB not here yet, but its just a matter of time, and the ash will be gone

depending on the time of the year and conditions.. cattle can really benefit a woods.
Explain this statement please because I have never seen that in Appalachian hardwoods.

Probably because all it ever does in ky is rain for the last 5 years anyway. I delt with the most awful fungus on tobacco for years. Became some what crazy over as it has cost me many thousands of dollars. So i do a lot of looking in the summers. Tree leaves are covered in fungus every summer. The plant pathologist and agronomist from uk are here every summer working with tobacco test plots. They sent several tree leaves in 50-11 different fungus on them weeds everything. Fact is the climate is changing all this rain is one big pima.

littletom":2y6hluh6 said:
Probably because all it ever does in ky is rain for the last 5 years anyway. I delt with the most awful fungus on tobacco for years. Became some what crazy over as it has cost me many thousands of dollars. So i do a lot of looking in the summers. Tree leaves are covered in fungus every summer. The plant pathologist and agronomist from uk are here every summer working with tobacco test plots. They sent several tree leaves in 50-11 different fungus on them weeds everything. Fact is the climate is changing all this rain is one big pima.

The rain we got today puts us within one inch of being the wettest year on record for Kentucky.

The pastures of today were hardwoods of yesterday. Funny that environmentalists never worry about what their house displaced, what their resort disrupted, what their trail bothers. The problem is always others.

Talk about hardwood changes in the east- talk about chestnuts.

Bright Raven":oat63tvp said:
littletom":oat63tvp said:

The rain we got today puts us within one inch of being the wettest year on record for Kentucky.
I think we're pretty close to it too.. never seen a fall so wet.. hardly a week without rain since mid august.. I'm going to guess we got about 10 inches since then? On a dry year we get under 10 total, I think 17 is average?

hurleyjd":2z5yar44 said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_in_the_United_States

That 1926 map can't be accurate. The Appalachian mountains today are certainly more than the few 25,000 acre dots shown. That's only 39 square miles.

Ebenezer":v73uu4dh said:
The pastures of today were hardwoods of yesterday. Funny that environmentalists never worry about what their house displaced, what their resort disrupted, what their trail bothers. The problem is always others.

Sounds like the environmentalists in Florida. The lack of water quality is all the farmers and cattlemens fault, no one worries about all the golf courses and swimming pools....or just all the people in general.

Ebenezer":r4jn63zw said:

In VA there are more acres of timberland now than in 1940. Many of the steep mountain farms are now in trees.
Yes the biggest impact on the eastern forest was the chestnut blight. Its a different forest but it's still forest land.

kenny thomas":3a4z2s3i said:
Ebenezer":3a4z2s3i said:

In VA there are more acres of timberland now than in 1940. Many of the steep mountain farms are now in trees.
Yes the biggest impact on the eastern forest was the chestnut blight. Its a different forest but it's still forest land.

It is kind of sad to ride the back roads and see what is now timber what was clean pasture when I was a kid. The days of keeping steep pasture clean with a size are long gone. Most pasture that is too steep for a 4wd tractor has grown up (my own place included). But it is amazing how quick a place will grow up in poplar.

hillbilly beef man":28zfzexl said:
kenny thomas":28zfzexl said:
Ebenezer":28zfzexl said:

It is kind of sad to ride the back roads and see what is now timber what was clean pasture when I was a kid. The days of keeping steep pasture clean with a size are long gone. Most pasture that is too steep for a 4wd tractor has grown up (my own place included). But it is amazing how quick a place will grow up in poplar.
It's very much the same way hrre. The yellow poplar is actually making you more money long term than the grass would have on the steep land.

Gotta be over 8" on the small end and 9ft I think. Cedar is measured in a cedar scale but last I heard was about $400 a thousand delivered. Some haul it as pulpwood to KY to make dog bedding. Last year it was $90 a ton delivered.

hillbilly beef man":y2g2l3a7 said:
kenny thomas":y2g2l3a7 said:
Ebenezer":y2g2l3a7 said:

yea i used to cut all mine (try) with a weedeater. talk about long days and nothing getting done.

Hackberry, Cedar of several varieties, and White Ash are natives here. If you don't keep your land mowed or plowed you are going to get it covered in one or the other; Cedar predominantly. Ash like to get their feet wet. Hackberries don't care. Hackberries want to be a bush rather than a tree but if you spend a little time when young, they make really nice shade and fire wood.....but both Ash and Hackberry burn faster than Oak which comes from up on the Red River where the soil is acid, not alkaline like here.

I had one Cottonwood on the place and as soon as I found out what it was the axe it got; a transplant thanks to the wind and a 50' a neighbor had right next to his trailer house, many years old..........

Bought 5 ea. healthy, balled in burlap, 2" Live Oak saplings 30ish years ago. 3 died off within the first couple of years. One of the two is doing ok, the other anemic. Waiting for it to turn into fire wood any day.

but if you spend a little time when young, they make really nice shade
Wanna buy some Tallow trees? They make good shade, grow quick, and I can pull 'em up easy in the wet soil I have right now.......special deal just for CT folks :tiphat: . :hide: :hide:

Latest posts