Lopsided bag on heifer..

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
I just had a heifer calve on Sat, and the right half side of her bag is filled as normal, but the left is NOTHING...I mean the tits are there, but nothing.

Has anyone seen this? Will the calf get enough? What are odds she still may fill on that side? What about next calf, would same thing happen to her?

She is first to hit the road for other reasons, and this is probably the icing on the cake...so to speak.

Thanks

Michele

mitchwi":1v190p4g said:
Has anyone seen this? Will the calf get enough? What are odds she still may fill on that side? What about next calf, would same thing happen to her?

Is it possible that the side that looks 'empty' or dry is actually the only two quarters that the calf sucks from?

The calf will probably get enough. If the 2 quarters are truly empty/dead, the remaining 2 quarters should provide enough for the calf. Just keep an eye on the calf. If the baby is up and sucking and going from tit to tit and up and sucking again with little time in between, that's an indication that the calf is not getting enough. When you see the calf suck, when it is finished has it got that foamy look? Does it look satisfied?

The 'empty' side may never fill. If she has another calf this could happen again.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":3cjgvp1y said:
mitchwi":3cjgvp1y said:

Is it possible that the side that looks 'empty' or dry is actually the only two quarters that the calf sucks from?

Katherine

Absolutely not, I have a pic and will try and upload it tonight. For right now (just born) he's getting enough, just wondering how that may be in a month or two :?:

Thanks for your reply!

mitchwi":3q0s9hze said:
For right now (just born) he's getting enough, just wondering how that may be in a month or two :?:

Thanks for your reply!

You're welcome.

As time passes, and he approaches the 1 to 2 month mark, if possible, keep an eye on how often he sucks and how his condition looks. As in is he keeping up weight and growth-wise with others of the same age. If at that time he starts to look a little raggedy and not as thrifty, providing him with some starter or a creep type feed may be in order.

Katherine

If you could get close to the cow, and feel the teats on that side, you will be able to tell if the teats are dead, if there is scar tissue in the teat canal, We sometimes have heifers with dead quarters, after they calf, some milk good as 3 teaters some don't, or it could be like others said sucking on one side of the bag, but I would check the other alternative also.

GMN

Most likely the calf didn't start drinking on the full side yet , I have already put the cow in the chute and got the calf drinking on all four, but usually he will find them on his own in a few days . I just had two like that this spring , they're all doing fine now.

shorty":3fzt5c0e said:
Most likely the calf didn't start drinking on the full side yet , I have already put the cow in the chute and got the calf drinking on all four, but usually he will find them on his own in a few days . I just had two like that this spring , they're all doing fine now.

Definately not this situation... I was too busy worry about pulling the calf, than looking at her udder til I let her out of the chute, and she was kicking at some afterbirth that wrapped around her leg, that I saw her left side had NOTHING going on.

Michele

mitchwi":255480ny said:

Thanks

Michele

Yes, I've seen it. We had a heifer calve a year or so ago that had two dead quarters on one side. The calf was supplemented for a little while until he didn't want the bottle anymore - he did alright on his mom. I believe she was ultimately culled for obvious reasons.

I would think if she's got dead quarters now, that won't change with her next pregnancy.

I'd supplement the calf if you need to and cull the cow.

mitchwi":28bn47gk said:
What are odds she still may fill on that side?
Thanks

Michele

Depends on why it's not filling out. Our heifer started producing a little milk in one of her blind quarters a few weeks to a month after delivering her calf. I don't believe I would count on it, but it is possible.

if it were her front two i would say they would probably be functional next go around. but since its the two on one side..she probably has some blind quarters for some reason. (maybe flies/scar tissue).

If mama for sure has 1/2 her bag not milking she would not stay around (my place) long enough to even try and raise this calf let alone another. It cost just as much to raise a bad one as it does a good one. SHIP HER

blk mule

Thanks everyone...she will most definately be leaving before bull gets turned back out.

Beefy, could you explain why if it were front, rather than side it would be different?

Michele

i have seen several heifers that calf a little early that dont milk much at all on their first quarters for the first lactation--i guess on account of the prematurity they dont have time to come into their milk like they ought to. (isnt it something llike 60% of the milk is produced in the back quarters?) 2nd calf and beyond they have milked great. if it were the front ones i would say there might be a chance she would milk better next time but b/c its on one side it sounds more like mastitis, edema, blind quarters, scar tissue or something that is not going to improve.

Beefy":2vodj1lp said:
i have seen several heifers that calf a little early that dont milk much at all on their first quarters for the first lactation--i guess on account of the prematurity they dont have time to come into their milk like they ought to. (isnt it something llike 60% of the milk is produced in the back quarters?) 2nd calf and beyond they have milked great. if it were the front ones i would say there might be a chance she would milk better next time but b/c its on one side it sounds more like mastitis, edema, blind quarters, scar tissue or something that is not going to improve.

Thanks Beefy...makes sense!

Latest posts