Loose fence post

Help Support CattleToday:

NORTH FLORIDA

Reaction score
While digging the hole for a brace post, I hit a little spring. Now my brace post is loose. Do I pull the post and add concrete, rocks, or sand? Can I fix the post without pulling it?

I have set posts in water. I put pure cement, not a mix or sacrete in hole, and let set overnight. Mine will be rock steady in the morning. I think the cement actually expands as it gets wet. Of course you don't want too big of a hole.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":27yqdy4m said:
ROCKSPRINGS":27yqdy4m said:
No one in my area will ever have that problem. :lol: :lol:

How about a little empathy here. You shouldnt be like that. THis guy has an honest problem and you are making fun of him. What makes you think you are better than him? Im here to tell ya son you are better than noone. Posting things like that makes you sound like an inconsiderate idiot. Not all texas people are bad in fact most arent. But its bad apples like you that are spoiling the whole bunch. There is my 2 cents
I was refering to the spring, I live in a very dry area. Before you stick both feet in your mouth again you should think alittle more before acting like a fool again :mad: Thats my 5 cents. I will not get into a pissing match with you on this form so say what you want and I will not reply.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

Actually, I was envious of someone hitting a spring. That would be nice. We are in an area where drought has killed all the cactus. Prickly pear has literally dried up and died. Hence, when I read Rocksprings post, I could relate to the dry humor.

Myself, I have dug many a post including chiseling through limestone and have never had the "misfortune" (fortunate in my case) of hitting a spring. Hence, I could offer no real advice and didn't.

To make this even more of a bit of humor, the dude is titled "Rocksprings". We have all these places around Texas with "springs" in their titles - there is no springs anywhere anymore in these parts of the state.

I truly and seriously wish I had a problem of hitting a spring, even 20 feet deep. It is hard to imagine. So I did get a chuckle out of the dry humor. I don't think Rocksprings was trying to be offensive but I don't really know. Only they do.

I wish the guy with the "problem" the best of luck and I wished I had that problem myself. It would save the eleven thousand dollars I am about to spend on a new well.

Without meaning to stick my nose where it don't belong, I don't think Rock was trying to be cruel. I could be wrong but, I believe he was poking fun at himself because of dry conditions in Texas.(thus the lols at end of his post)

ROCKSPRINGS":h4mash64 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":h4mash64 said:
ROCKSPRINGS":h4mash64 said:

How about a little empathy here. You shouldnt be like that. THis guy has an honest problem and you are making fun of him. What makes you think you are better than him? Im here to tell ya son you are better than noone. Posting things like that makes you sound like an inconsiderate idiot. Not all texas people are bad in fact most arent. But its bad apples like you that are spoiling the whole bunch. There is my 2 cents
I was refering to the spring, I live in a very dry area. Before you stick both feet in your mouth again you should think alittle more before acting like a fool again :mad: Thats my 5 cents. I will not get into a be nice match with you on this form so say what you want and I will not reply.
hey RS take his sht with a grain of salt this boy aint firing on all eight

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":29x9v3xi said:
Perhaps then his post was taken out of context. It is just the way he put it that came accross all wrong. I hate it when people pick on other people. So seeing as how what he said was worded in a way that sounded like he was being a smartelic and the like I figured Id let him have it. If it was taken out of context sorry. Please explain things more clearly next time as Im quiet sure the originator of this post felt as though he was getting made fun of as well seeing as how he thanked me.

Not sure how you misinterpreted that one but anyways, who made you hall monitor? Just kidding, don't be so quick to get all riled up next time.

NORTH FLORIDA":2bpk7okz said:
While digging the hole for a brace post, I hit a little spring. Now my brace post is loose. Do I pull the post and add concrete, rocks, or sand? Can I fix the post without pulling it?
are you talking about water gushing out are just filling in the hole if its just moisture like was said pour dry concrete in and tamp it

Unless your water table isn't always this high, I'd route it out and concerete it in. The post will rot out quickly it it sets in water.
Looks as if some folks are always lookin for an argument, no matter what's said.
DMc

I don't get it.

A person who is always looking for a fight is picking on someone. So why would that person be mad about someone else picking on someone?

Oh wait.....I get it! He's always looking for a fight!

Have a high water table here, so I use a treated post, locust, or the like, and add some dry cement..... should work as a fair hold.

And, I usually dont jump in on such quible....But geeeeeezzzz... what was that all about there TTCLW? Some one go wee wee in some one's cheerios? :cboy:

Yeah, I'd pull it and clean the hole out. Put your concrete back in around it and tamp it. Give it plenty of time to set. I've seen people build a spring box with water running the whole time. It will set up and be fine. TTCLM, chill man. I didn't see the problem with your comment either Rock.

In a wet area, I always put posts in with Creek Gravel, and tamp the fire out of them. I used to concrete them, but I noticed posts rotted too fast when the concrete held too much moisture. The gravel actually packs tight, and provides drainage.

ROCKSPRINGS":1lendhfh said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1lendhfh said:
ROCKSPRINGS":1lendhfh said:

I was refering to the spring, I live in a very dry area. Before you stick both feet in your mouth again you should think alittle more before acting like a fool again :mad: Thats my 5 cents. I will not get into a be nice match with you on this form so say what you want and I will not reply.

TTCLM, when will it end???

North Florida,

we have that a lot here - we're less than a mile from the Mississippi River so the water table is high. You can dig down 4 feet or so and hit water almost every time. On to your problem... We always did one of two things: pack the post in good with a 2x4 in the muddy slush. This will create a suction that wont let go, and then put fresh dirt over the top. Or you could just pour some quickcrete in the hole, wait a day and go about your work. The first method is what we do most often, and you will have a hard time pulling any post that has developed the suction that I'm referring to. Very sturdy.

Hope this helps.

As for TTCLM, I'm not sure what will help!

Latest posts