Loose fence post

Help Support CattleToday:

In terms of rot, the only water you need to worry about is that which sits around the post, where the post enters the dirt.. That's where aerobic bacteria lives, so that's where rot happens.. Below, say, six or so inches of packed dirt, things don't rot.. And, before anyone can flame me for saying such a thing, think about silage.. Same deal. No light, no air, no aerobic bacteria, no rot..

If the water in the hole prevents you from tamping it solid, use concrete toward the bottom.. If the high water table prevents water from draining off the post near the surface, throw some gravel in near the top to help with drainage.. Should stand a long while that way..

Or just pick the hole up and move it to another spot, where there isn't a spring. :lol:

First, decide which is easiest to get to the site: sand or sackrete. Then do one or the other of the following. If the water is still seeping in, keeping the hole sloppy wet, dump sand all around the post and "wiggle" it around some, lifting it up and down just a little. The water will rise to the top and the wet sand will pack in there and hold that post like, well, concrete - which will work, too. I've put some fence posts in dry stream beds (with water just under the surface) that were later almost impossible to pull.

I've had seepage in post holes, too. I put in sacked gravel mix and the posts are set very firm.

Latest posts