Looks like the D word is back for East Texas-drought

Help Support CattleToday:

I've got a lot of seed sitting in the shed. To plant or not is driving me nuts. Then I've got the question of spending the money on fertilizer. Things don't look very good right now so I'm spraying all the pastures with herbicide so the grass will get all the moisture we may get. Seems like the thistle, mustard weed, horsemint, and henbit are doing better than anything else.

We have not had enough moisture for the weeds to sprout, we had frost this past week that killed back what weeds that had come up, also blistered the mesquite close to the ground. What herbicide are you using? So dry what clover that came up has died.

Here after the last rain what we call bitter weed has really bloomed. Sure need to spray but with 30 mph winds it is a no go. Plan on using grazon.

Problem is....it's not just an East Texas problem....

drmon.gif

1982vett":2mato0cf said:
Problem is....it's not just an East Texas problem....
Absolutely True, but E Texas saw a very mild drought in 2012,after a really bad one in 2011, as the drier air systems seemed to move northward. March 2012, saw over 1 ft of river water flooding about 1/3 of my place last year--doesn't look like we'll see a repeat of that kind of rain this spring. Very few weeds here too--not enough rain to make them sprout, or maybe they "know" winter isn't done yet. Am seeing more thistle that I ever have here tho, and yes--too windy to start spraying.
Weather said it was supposed to rain this weekend, so I did do some fertilize work. No rain. Maybe tues/wed tho.

I think I'll look for early hay again. I hate 1st cutting hay, but there may not be a 2nd one.

Not that the moisture won;t stop tomorrow (after the snow) but so far this year we've gone from extreme to severe to all white in the past couple of drought updates. So far we're 2 inches ahead for what we should have by the end of April. But last year we started way ahead then it turned off for 4 months, the hottest months of course

We are supposed to get rain over the next few days. Hopefully we do. We don't have the weed problem that we did last year but I am starting to see the bitter weed and thistle starting to come up. Slowly but surely.

Wow this is not good. We have been wet this winter and fertilized just before the rains came today. I was out putting in some cross fencing for added rotational grazing when a storm system came through today. I am not sure what the max wind gusts were (Intellicast said we had gust of 51mph this morning), but I was literally dodging 15-18" pine tops snapping out of trees and traveling freakishly long distances. I would guess 60-80 mph. We had over an hour of horizontal rain. It came up all of a sudden and was similar to a coastal hurricane but the high wind only lasted about 45 minutes. Power out all over the county, trees over train tracks, roads, houses, and saw several cars off the road while out traveling. I wanna guess we got an inch to two drop in less than an hour. I hope everyone is ok and your fences are good.

GB I hear you on the thistle. It is everywhere.

Pineland":3qb8b4tb said:
Wow this is not good. We have been wet this winter and fertilized just before the rains came today. I was out putting in some cross fencing for added rotational grazing when a storm system came through today. I am not sure what the max wind gusts were (Intellicast said we had gust of 51mph this morning), but I was literally dodging 15-18" pine tops snapping out of trees and traveling freakishly long distances. I would guess 60-80 mph. We had over an hour of horizontal rain. It came up all of a sudden and was similar to a coastal hurricane but the high wind only lasted about 45 minutes. Power out all over the county, trees over train tracks, roads, houses, and saw several cars off the road while out traveling. I wanna guess we got an inch to two drop in less than an hour. I hope everyone is ok and your fences are good.

GB I hear you on the thistle. It is everywhere.

We got the edge of that around noon or a little later , or it weakened before it got this far. Maybe 1/2" of rain and just a little wind.
I was glad to see the rain!!

we havent really gotten out of the drought in the last 6yrs or so.only had just enough rain to keep going before you had todo something.in the last 2 days weve had 2 inches of rain to keep the grass growing.

Our county has been declared a disaster area due to the drought conditions for eight consecutive weeks. We've been getting some rains but not near enough to bring the aquifers back up and the Summer rain predictions don't look good. I'm hoping we at least get a hay cutting or two before the drought really sets in. $140 a round bale (two years ago) isn't pretty!

Latest posts