Looking for used or new cattle scales in central Texas.

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
Looking for a good set of scales new or used at a decent price.
It can be solo or multiple.
I need advice on a good brand, I know everything is priced higher now.
Any reviews or recommendations would be helpful.

Depends on what you mean by cheap scales. B&B scales has good prices. They can also sell you a complete platform scale set and then you build or have the cage built. Gallagher was offering a good single weigh setup that looked portable and tough.

Depends on what you mean by cheap scales. B&B scales has good prices. They can also sell you a complete platform scale set and then you build or have the cage built. Gallagher was offering a good single weigh setup that looked portable and tough.
Where are they located?
I am building my own cage.
I don't mind paying more for something good.
I guess I worded that wrong.
Thanks

I believe they are in New Mexico. If you call them they'll sell you a kit to put your platform on. They have some kind of deal the load cells sit on so you can get a good weight when the calves are moving around. Seems like they call them gyros but that my not be right.very nice guys

You get what you pay for. Some folks have B&B and they are pleased. I bought a set with load bars and they were junk but that was about 10 years ago. They would not return my phone calls when I called and asked to return them. Luckily I paid with a Visa card and the nice folks there returned my money and filed a claim. I guess they new they were garbage as they never contested the claim.
I bought a set of TruTest after that and put them under my chute. I needed a set to work correctly and quickly with no issues or having to callibrate. They have worked flawlessly and have probably weighed over 4000 animals since then. They lock in a weight in about 3 seconds no matter what the animal is doing. Under the chute is the way to go in my opinion.
A&A scales are another cheaper option. They were very helpful when I talked with them and also sell build your own kits.

Gallagher are also good for what I hear but they are pricey like TruTest.

Thanks for the good info.
I'm going to put my scales ahead of my squeeze chute with cut gates so if I don't want to weigh that day they won't be pounding my scales.
What are yalls thoughts on that?

Ken is correct. I built a set of pens with a home built platform scale from A&A. It was much more work to build because of the gates needed plus the cage area has to be built big enough for all size animals which gives small calves to much room to move back and forth or turn around. The animals also foul the weight by leaning against the sides or the back gate, When you are by yourself, its much slower catching them, releasing them and catching them again in the chute.
With scales under the chute, the animal goes in, you catch his head and that stops most of the movement, no way to foul the weight and he is ready for whatever work you want to do.

The set I got from B&B went on a cake feeder for several years, same feeder dif truck, different feeder same truck, then under squeeze chute. No problems so far. It's their 10k build your own set. The only thing I don't like is the animal can't be moving allot in the squeeze. It's interesting what Bird dog says about his true test scales I'm gonna look into them more. We really thought we'd use them allot on the chute but rarely do.

Well Lucky, I am somewhat anal on weights and shrinkage. Everything that goes through the chute is weighed and noted in a notebook and on that animals sheet if they have one. This is why I have a lot of posts about shrink. I weigh cows & calves before they go to the sale, and I weigh calves and cows that I buy from the sale. You can learn a lot on animal shrink by doing this. Cutting your shrink in half can make you a lot of money over time. Buying calves at the sale that you know have shrunk a lot can save you a bunch of money over time. This education will eventually pay for your scales if you let it.

Where are they located?
I am building my own cage.
I don't mind paying more for something good.
I guess I worded that wrong.
Thanks
I recently bought a set of those DIY scales off of Amazon. They are well made and easy to put together. Accurate weights. I got two sets of the screw in blocks so I can move the scale from our cattle working pen to our goat and hog working pens, so I only had to buy one set of scales. So far they have worked wonderfully!

FSK Livestock Scale Kit Build Your Own Scale at a Fraction of The Price https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PB6OVVC/?tag=cattletoday00-20

I recently bought a set of those DIY scales off of Amazon. They are well made and easy to put together. Accurate weights. I got two sets of the screw in blocks so I can move the scale from our cattle working pen to our goat and hog working pens, so I only had to buy one set of scales. So far they have worked wonderfully!

FSK Livestock Scale Kit Build Your Own Scale at a Fraction of The Price https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PB6OVVC/?tag=cattletoday00-20
Order a second set of these and you can have two stations if needed out of one unit.

Attachments

• D8C6CA1C-C8DB-4CB5-AE39-276B890C78FB.jpeg
    D8C6CA1C-C8DB-4CB5-AE39-276B890C78FB.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 1
I have one in the barn not using. I'm in Gonzales tx. Not sure if it's what you want. Older one. Came from D and D in Seguin Tx. It's a PAUL brand which I like. Also have a small animal PAUL.
Cage and weights are gone (by theft). Think I priced weights in Seguin at $200.
Due to the construction of my shoots it doesn't work for me.

Latest posts