Looking for smoker tips Pics (Now w/Bling)

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW":tdiijeer said:
Thanks for the pics! keep us updated I have a 250 gal air compresser tank new from the scrap yard I am getting ready to start one.I really like the looks of the lang smoker. Let us know how well the reverse flow works will ya

Will do and that 250 gallon tank will make a good one. Lang's are reverse flow right? I hear the reverse flow just takes a bit more fuel but cooks more even. When I lit that fire, the vertical tank got hot in a hurry. It is really going to be efficient I think. It will be great for just small weekend cooks and if needed for a big cook I can cook in the horizontal also.

yes they are reverse flow they have a box on them above the firebox similar to yours. I don't know anyone that has one but they look good on the website. Everyone I talk to says reverse is the way to go . are you putting a plate in the bottom? Steel is so high I might have to copy youre firebox. The scrap yard gets new tanks every day.Yours is looking good :clap: . I am going to use an old boat trailer I think. will probly be a winter project. but I want some bbq now

RAWCJW":22qhyi1p said:
yes they are reverse flow they have a box on them above the firebox similar to yours. I don't know anyone that has one but they look good on the website. Everyone I talk to says reverse is the way to go . are you putting a plate in the bottom? Steel is so high I might have to copy youre firebox. The scrap yard gets new tanks every day.Yours is looking good :clap: . I am going to use an old boat trailer I think. will probly be a winter project. but I want some bbq now

I have a plate in the horizontal tank that runs from the firebox to about 4 inches from the far side. It is 5-6 inches off the bottom. I made a 1/4" round plate to divide the vertical cook part from the firebox. I can cook in either tank by itself or both at once.

I must warn you that I ran into some pretty interesting snags dealing with round and round. If you just doing a round firebox with out the cooker on top, you won't have near the problems I have had.

I was wondering how you went about cutting those double compound curves to fit the vertical to the horizontal tank. I tried something similar one time, but not as intricate as yours. It darn near drove me nuts trying to get it to fit. Hmmmm. Maybe it did........

Jim62":g8oan565 said:
I was wondering how you went about cutting those double compound curves to fit the vertical to the horizontal tank. ......

voodoo That is what it is.

Heavy wall pipe is actually easier because it does not deflect as much. Even if you are well practiced, it is never easy. What he has done with that thinner material is pretty remarkable. I'm impressed anyway.

Ok, here is another update. It is not finished but I did get both tanks burned out twice. I fired it up Sat and did a couple of experimental cooks. I still have handles, painting, and a couple of small other tasks to complete before I call it done.

project35.jpg

ABT's in the horizontal cooker.
project32.jpg

Chicken and Fattie in the vertical tank. The bottom pan is just a water pan for moisture.
project33.jpg

Finished Fattie.
project34.jpg

Finished ABT's.
project37.jpg

Finished chicken.

project36.jpg

Jim62":1mixbry7 said:
What's a fattie ?

And I ain't sure about ABTs.

Got the chicken part figured out .......... :wave:

A fattie is a pound of your favorite sausage rolled out flat and stuffed with your favorite fillings. This one had onions, green peppers, pepperoni, and cheese. You lay all this out in the middle of your flattened sausage then roll it up into a log roll. Then you lay out strips of bacon and roll the sausage roll over them wrapping the whole thing in bacon. Make sure to cool the stuff you in the middle first or your end up with a mess. Don't ask how I know this.

ABT's are Atomic Buffalo Turds. Jalapenos sliced in half long ways, stuff with those little wiener smokies or pepperoni rolled up, cheese, then wrapped in bacon. Now, the more you stuff you take out of the pepper the less hot it will be. These can be done on a grill but keep the heat down or you will loose all the cheese. Make a bunch if you have friends over. They will go like hot cakes.

Now like anything else, too much of good thing will send you to an early grave with a smile on your face. :D

Pretty much done now with the exception of a couple do-dads I want to add for decoration.

project39.jpg

project38.jpg

Bullbuyer":30c9nlmx said:
I have to admit that the ol' boy done went and whipped up a right nice lookin' rig.
Proud of ya'!!

Hey BB, thanks. Ya know it would not have turned out as well had I gotten any suggestions from that TN state. Probably would have looked more like a still.
:eek:

That is nice! When are you going to start selling them and will you be offering them in stainless? (I'd hate to think of the cost of that)
BTW - I want one.

Jogeephus":f8hzonji said:
That is nice! When are you going to start selling them and will you be offering them in stainless? (I'd hate to think of the cost of that)
BTW - I want one.

Couple things Jogee. I don't weld stainless and now I know why these things this size cost so much. :eek:

One of my neighbors has something similar to half of yours. His is similar to your upright section but it has a fire box on the side and a way you can regulate the heat into the vertical. I've been eyeballing/covetting it and been thinking about doing something like this. I doubt I could put something together as elaborate as you have but I feel pretty confident I could do the upright with the fire box. A grill like that is perfect for cooking the way I like to cook. Makes a big difference on the end product as well. Again, nice job.

Jogeephus":1g7o66ez said:
I've been eyeballing/covetting it and been thinking about doing something like this.

I have found the bigger the unit is, the easier it is to control heat. The problem is the big units use a lot of wood. Also everyone is always wanting to open it up and look at the meat. :mad: LEAVE MY LID ALONE!!! :D :D

My goal is to build a tiny unit that works perfectly. Maybe just big enough for one brisket. I don't want to add wood constantly, be forced to use charcoal or have to damper continually etc. I don't think a tiny one can be built that you can visit every few hours.

Flaboy I like the way you worked your stacks. It gives you options and versatility. I also really like the multiple thermometers. You can see what's going on in different regions and adjust accordingly.

Nice Unit. Not permanently on a trailer either. Can be put on one (obviously :D )

Jogeephus":35ewd1m8 said:
One of my neighbors has something similar to half of yours. His is similar to your upright section but it has a fire box on the side and a way you can regulate the heat into the vertical. I've been eyeballing/covetting it and been thinking about doing something like this. I doubt I could put something together as elaborate as you have but I feel pretty confident I could do the upright with the fire box. A grill like that is perfect for cooking the way I like to cook. Makes a big difference on the end product as well. Again, nice job.

Thanks Jogee. You should go for it. Verticals in my opinion as the most efficient and easiest to regulate. Great for small weekend cooks for the family.

Latest posts