Looking for smoker tips Pics (Now w/Bling)

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
Just picked up a 68 x24 inch propane tank in preparation for a new smoker. Finally "leaked" all of the residual propane out last night. Filled it with water and I am currently flushing it a couple times a day. Didn't smell near as bad this morning. Will let it set and rinse a few more time before I cut into it. I will start my cut with it full of water.

Now, I am thinking about building a horizon cooker with a horizon firebox connected opposite the front doors in the back. I will put either three plenums or build a full length one to attach the firebox to the cooker. I want an even distribution of heat across the cooker and it just seems this design would be the best for that. I have seen picture of them but I can't find any detail on the design.

It will be trailer mounted. If it were your build what would do it? Options you would like? Other suggestions?

grannysoo":pwl09i4h said:
You might look at these people and their designs:

http://www.pigroast.com/

They build some of the most expensive smokers in America and people say they are great. These guys are located about 25 miles from our farm...

Yep, I have seen theirs. They are nice and not really priced out of line with other commercial units of the same type.

Jogeephus":2rm4jz6f said:
I think this will help you. If it does, I want a rack of ribs when you get it built. :nod:

http://www.texasbarbeques.com/support-f ... rplans.pdf

Whew, you just missed. I printed that yesterday. Good info though and I thank you.

I was just sort of wondering if anybody had one and if they did what they would add or what like dislike about theirs.

Thanks again Jo.

I'll try this again. The feature of this smoker is that the meat only gets the smoke. There are no hotspots.

bar-b-que.JPG

Earl Thigpen":35kytzjl said:
I'll try this again. The feature of this smoker is that the meat only gets the smoke. There are no hotspots.

How far does that steel plate come from the edges inside the cookbox? Couple inches on both sides?

It's solid across the width of the smoker. The path of the heat and smoke has to travel under the steel plate to the opposite end of the smoker then turn and come back over the meat and out the stack. Like I said I've only seen one smoker built like this and it sure made some great tasting steaks and ribs. And I never saw a steak burned because of a flare up because the fire never comes close to the meat.

You can build a dutch oven over the fire box too that does a great peach cobbler (or bisquits or corn bread). Shucks man, I'll be right down to help!!!!

Earl Thigpen":15l8cn2z said:
It's solid across the width of the smoker. The path of the heat and smoke has to travel under the steel plate to the opposite end of the smoker then turn and come back over the meat and out the stack. Like I said I've only seen one smoker built like this and it sure made some great tasting steaks and ribs. And I never saw a steak burned because of a flare up because the fire never comes close to the meat.

You can build a dutch oven over the fire box too that does a great peach cobbler (or bisquits or corn bread). Shucks man, I'll be right down to help!!!!

Thanks Earl. I plan to go look at some commercial units to see how they are built. Tell ya what you bring the peaches and I will supply the piney woods rooters and some old cracker cow meat. :lol2:

Flaboy - The cooker I use is built very similar to Earl's but the burners (propane fired) are directly below the cooking surface. The burners are actually two pieces of inch and a half galvanized pipe. The top side of the pipe has slits cut into it with a sawz-all. To keep the grease from flaring up, we have a piece of flat tin located about 3 inches above each burner. When we want something smoked we add an old steel box and some mesquite chips and let them burn as the hog/ribs/shoulders are cooking - you can also use liquid smoke in a spray bottle (dilute with a little water). My last one was a 130 pound hog and 4 large pork shoulders - cooked in about 10 hours. turned out really good.
One before was 100 pounder and there wasn't anything left but bones when them people got done with it!
BB

Bullbuyer":xxc2rlp5 said:
Flaboy - The cooker I use is built very similar to Earl's but the burners (propane fired) are directly below the cooking surface. The burners are actually two pieces of inch and a half galvanized pipe. The top side of the pipe has slits cut into it with a sawz-all. To keep the grease from flaring up, we have a piece of flat tin located about 3 inches above each burner. When we want something smoked we add an old steel box and some mesquite chips and let them burn as the hog/ribs/shoulders are cooking - you can also use liquid smoke in a spray bottle (dilute with a little water). My last one was a 130 pound hog and 4 large pork shoulders - cooked in about 10 hours. turned out really good.
One before was 100 pounder and there wasn't anything left but bones when them people got done with it!
BB

Dang, 1.5 inch pipe? I have seen mostly 3/4 inch.

Here is what I am thinking so far.

Maybe a removable burner in the bottom of the firebox to with propane if I want. It would have a wood box over it for the propane to heat get the smoke. If I want to cook with charcoal I would remove the propane burner, install a charcoal rack and light her up.

Another thing I was thinking was maybe something like you mentioned. I wonder if I could plumb a propane burner under have the cook area IF I wanted to just grill some steaks, dogs, burgers or something. Where do you light yours off from?

Doors? One big one cut in half to make two or two independent doors? The one big one cut in half I was thinking I could put a lip under one. That one would lift the other one. The one without the lip could be raised by itself. Any ideas on this?

The grill I was talking about is an old fuel oil container - laying on it's side. There's a small hinged door at the bottom of one side, raise it and turn the propane on low and reach in with one of those grill lighters and she lights right up. This door - maybe 10" wide and 5" or so tall - is also handy for clean out, take it to the car wash and spray it out, there are also two drain holes in the bottom to prevent grease buildup and such. You get a fair amount of fat / water etc. from these roasting pigs even though they aren't that big.
As far as cooking burgers, dogs, corn, etc. This one will do that but you have to crank it up all the way. I've often thought it would be really easy to get a narrower grate and it would set closer to the burners. We just don't cook that much small stuff - primarily for pig roasts.
To raise and lower the lid, they welded a piece of half inch steel pipe on the front of it. There is also a 'mast' with an old boat trailer winch attached so that you can crank up the lid and it will hold in place while you are picking the pig.
I'd send pictures but don't have a digital camera - sorry!
BB

I was going to suggest a roach clip until I realized your subject was a little misleading. ;-)

Walt

Txwalt":30emq0ze said:
I was going to suggest a roach clip until I realized your subject was a little misleading. ;-)

Walt

OK, I got it! Roach clip, LID, etc.

I promise, I never inhaled! :lol: :lol:

Well, here is how far I gotten. To wet to bale hay so I do other stuff.

project7.jpg

project5.jpg

flaboy":170my18k said:
Earl Thigpen":170my18k said:

How far does that steel plate come from the edges inside the cookbox? Couple inches on both sides?

Make it solid Flaboy. Put a drop door in near the fire box to open and close if you want more heat on the meat at times.

Earl's design is a good one. That is a "smoker". Some put water chambers in the bottom to both retain heat as well as have hot water at outdoor events. Some have a secondary fire box solely intended to generate coals.

A good friend of mine has the best I have ever seen. He can cook 35 briskets in it and has 150 gallons of hot water available. The problem with it is that it comsumes a whole bunch of wood if you only want to do 5 briskets. It is not even worth the effort for a regular large bar-b-que.

I want to build my next one just large enough to cook a whole hog and no bigger. One fire box only. If there is too much smoke, I'll just wrap the meat in foil. 30 gallons of hot water is way more than enough for me.

Hey BHB, I don't think I need hot water down here. I made this for a whole hog. It is a little over 5 feet long.

I believe what Earl has pictured is reverse flow from what I have read.

I was thinking a straight flow with tuning plates to adjust for a more even cook temp. I don't know but I have heard the reverse flow units require a lot more fuel to maintain temps. At this point I am still undecided as to which end to put the smoke stack.

flaboy":3rmp9b9o said:

Earl's pic looks right to me.

Smoke and heat from the fire box goes under the deflector plate and U-turns back to the stack on the same end as the fire box. On the upper level return it passes through the grill.

You could put a stack on the left end and a drop door on the right side in the deflector plate to give yourself more options. You would normally keep the other smoke stack dampered out but you could use it to heat meat quickly with direct heat from the open drop door if you add it.

Hot water is great in the winter. Right now a container of water in the sun gets plenty hot on its own.

It sounds like yours is about the perfect size (the size I would like).

When I smoke brisket, I also like to put chopped pepper, onion, and garlic in a water pan near the heat source. The steam adds a great deal to the meat. You have to get it hot enough for the water to steam a little tho. Heance, a drop door in deflector of Earl's design to put the water pan near the heat is another reason to add it. Just weld sucker rod through pipe for a hinge and a seal plate around the perimeter.

flaboy":19plmvsw said:
Hey BHB, I don't think I need hot water down here. I made this for a whole hog. It is a little over 5 feet long.

I was thinking a straight flow with tuning plates to adjust for a more even cook temp. I don't know but I have heard the reverse flow units require a lot more fuel to maintain temps. At this point I am still undecided as to which end to put the smoke stack.

You and BHB are both right. It does take a lot of heat (fuel) to keep this thing going but the results are great. I like BHB's idea with the doors and flappers. You cold get the meat up to temp pretty quick that way.

The one I saw and used belonged to the company I worked for and they used it for customer cook outs. I never heard a customer complain of the meat being tough.

Send us some pictures when you get 'er done.

Earl Thigpen":3j19emf1 said:

bar-b-que.JPG

Earl your drawing looks like my smoker except I have a "flapper valve" between the wood box and the smoker unit that can be opened or closed by a handle on the outside to adjust heat. Also have an upper and lower rack to cook on....works great.

Latest posts