Looking for opinions about vehicles

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":3jye43tz said:
Rafter S":3jye43tz said:
I've never bought an extended warranty. On anything. If a salesman gets pushy I'll tell him that if his product is so bad that it's likely to need enough repairs to cover the cost of the insurance then maybe I don't want it after all.

That's a good comeback!

They will tell you to hit the road because there is not a vehicle out there that won't need a repair.

On the extended warranty deal never pay full price for it. Most of the time it is marked up 2 or 3 times the actual amount they can sell it for. I use that as a bargaining chip for them to seal the deal on the purchase. The reason the sales person will push it is because they get a big commission for selling the warranty.

The 100K mi extended warranty is a good deal if they discount it down or throw it in. You usually pay a $100 deductible no matter the cost of the repair. On my gauging trucks they were fixing tie rods, wheel hubs, even brakes because they said they wore out in an excessive amount of time. I would get calls from the warranty companies asking about my driving conditions and stuff. I told them I drive it just like they do in the commercials. That's what they are made for right or they wouldn't be doing it in their advertisements? :lol2: In a modern truck if the lumbar support goes out its $450.... the latch for the center console is $250.

Brute 23":3n6q51gc said:
Bright Raven":3n6q51gc said:
Rafter S":3n6q51gc said:
I've never bought an extended warranty. On anything. If a salesman gets pushy I'll tell him that if his product is so bad that it's likely to need enough repairs to cover the cost of the insurance then maybe I don't want it after all.

That's a good comeback!

They will tell you to hit the road because there is not a vehicle out there that won't need a repair.

I've never said they won't need repairing, just that I don't think they usually need enough to pay for the insurance. If they did then the folks selling the insurance would go out of business pretty quick.

As much as you're driving you need a decent car. Trucks & Suvs tend to be the cheapest to insure but gas is a bigger factor considering the mileage your putting on.

Something with a hatchback will still haul feed bags and mineral (not firewood) and still get good mileage.

Thanks for all your opinions. I'm gonna have to think on it for a minute and make a decision. Another thing I consider is not only am I driving those miles per year but I'm driving it in big pieces at a time. A thousand miles one way. How many 2000$ trucks/cars are gonna run a thousand miles at 75 mile an hour and not give out on you?

Craig Miller":1w7sjg03 said:
Thanks for all your opinions. I'm gonna have to think on it for a minute and make a decision. Another thing I consider is not only am I driving those miles per year but I'm driving it in big pieces at a time. A thousand miles one way. How many 2000$ trucks/cars are gonna run a thousand miles at 75 mile an hour and not give out on you?
True. Watch a few auto auctions before buying. The cars I buy for $7-1300 sell for $4-5000 on the lots. I'm not much of a salesman so I just drive them.

greybeard":3qgnylmk said:
What's the consensus opinions of buying extended OEM warranties on new vehicles? A waste of $$ or good insurance?

My experience:
I've always thought it an un-neccessary expense, as I worked most of my life as a mechanic and did my own repairs. Vehicles have simply gotten too complicated now and I wouldn't be able to fix much any more on one.
I've never bought extended warranty on a vehicle until I bought wife a new car in 2013. I'm older, and have of late tried to make things easier on her if the worst should happen to me.
Have had it in the dealership 3 times this year for serious transmission problems, and the warranty has paid for itself, but for most of my life and my other vehicles from the past, that would have not been true.
Do most folks pass on the extended warranties?

I turn them down the first time. Then I turn them down on their second price offer. Usually about the third offer, its worth the money. The dude back in financial makes a lot of money on those warranties. They are usually eager to sell you one.

Then there are the third parties constantly calling trying to sell you one. I hate those calls.

Craig Miller":646cf109 said:
I have a 2013 ram 1500. I have been driving it to and from work since I bought it new. I put about 25-30000 miles a year on it. I'm at about 95000 right now. The warranty on the power train expires at 100000 as you probably know. Well this week I had to put a WCM in it to the tune of $650. Not covered under warranty. I also need to have new plugs and such put it. Normal 100000 mile maintenance at around 400 bucks. My mechanic buddy says some of these hemis are having valve seat failures just beyond warranty. Rebuilt motors are about $7000. I have about 39 payments on this one left. Im thinking about trading for a used car with extended Gm warranty. and buying an old truck for work here. What do you think?
You might look at a Ford Flex. Great ride and pretty fair mileage. Lots of room. My wife and I was going to buy one and came close until she decided the 2009 Cadillac DTS as still good for a few more miles.

Then there are the third parties constantly calling trying to sell you one. I hate those calls.

"Hi, this is Heather with GM Warranty Division to remind you the warranty is about to expire on your Chevy Silverado...."

'Yeah Heather, that warranty expired a good while back ..2010 I think. You'd know that except you was probably still in Jr High school then..

Craig Miller":312kglvn said:
How many 2000$ trucks/cars are gonna run a thousand miles at 75 mile an hour and not give out on you?

I figure my 07 chevy cobalt with 170k miles is worth maybe 3000 bucks. Just last week went on a 600 mile road trip in it at 70mph and got 39mpg cruising around. I've owned it since 19k miles and put tires, brakes, wheel bearings, tie rods, and steering rack on it. I wouldn't hesitate to take it across the country right now if I wanted to. Its all in how the vehicle has been maintained. I can't begin to count the tons of feed/lumber/T-posts/fence wire/etc that the car has hauled home because the nearest farm store is 70 miles one way from home.

Having a smaller car to commute in not only saves you in the gas department also saves in the maintenance department. Wheel bearings/brakes/oil changes/etc for my cobalt are 1/3 of the price that they are for my F-250, and don't even get me started on tires. I put 4 summer tires on my cobalt for just over the cost of one good truck tire.

As someone who has a Dodge, Ford, and Chevy trucks, just let me say. I'd rather have a sister working in a cathouse than have another Dodge. Great motors and trannies and rest is junk.

houstoncutter":1micuiac said:
As someone who has a Dodge, Ford, and Chevy trucks, just let me say. I'd rather have a sister working in a cathouse than have another Dodge. Great motors and trannies and rest is junk.

Well i still haven't fully decided what to do. I was getting set to put the money into it. Once in the last 3 weeks since having it fixed I turned the key and nothing happened. Turned again and it started right up. Yesterday I turned the key and nothing. Turned it off and it did the same thing as before...kept my key and showed to be in reverse for about 3 seconds, then switched to park and released my key. I looked at the lease road again. No way could a car go down any of them.

Cars or suvs my choices Toyota Nissan Honda Hyundai even makes a good one too
Trucks - FORD - There is no other .. There is only fakes trying to be a Ford.
End of discussion lets lock this one down.

skyhightree1":1n7ufnjy said:

HOld on a minute HOSS , DO I need to search and find the picture of your hog pen and the vehicle that says , "im an SUV, No Im a truck, No Im a transgender vehicle" you drive.

M-5":1nqhdyae said:
skyhightree1":1nqhdyae said:

HOld on a minute HOSS , DO I need to search and find the picture of your hog pen and the vehicle that says , "im an SUV, No Im a truck, No Im a transgender vehicle" you drive.

Hey bud everyone makes mistakes... :D That is the biggest POS I ever owned :yuck: . No transgender vehicle its a transport big ticket customer vehicle in comfort and what is deemed as style :lol: Everything else is a ford though :D

skyhightree1":2xxvq7sa said:
M-5":2xxvq7sa said:
skyhightree1":2xxvq7sa said:

Hey bud everyone makes mistakes... :D That is the biggest POS I ever owned :yuck: . No transgender vehicle its a transport big ticket customer vehicle in comfort and what is deemed as style :lol: Everything else is a ford though :D

so its a do as I say and not as I do thing . are your running for political office yet ??

Brute 23":6lypdggc said:
Just keep in mind running two vehicles is not cheap. There are benefits to having two, but it is a luxury. The amount you save in fuel economy or what ever else on one will not make up for the 2 sets of tires, two insurance payments, etc. If you want to drive new vehicles drive new vehicles. If you want to drive used, drive used. At the end of the day they all cost the same... its just a matter of how and when you can tolerate to pay it.
you cant really count tires as an extra expense. i actually think of buying car tires for my little beater as a savings. they are a lot cheaper than the 18" tires on my truck. im putting tires on my car for about a third the cost and they last as long or longer.

tja477t":2k8lnnyf said:
Brute 23":2k8lnnyf said:
Just keep in mind running two vehicles is not cheap. There are benefits to having two, but it is a luxury. The amount you save in fuel economy or what ever else on one will not make up for the 2 sets of tires, two insurance payments, etc. If you want to drive new vehicles drive new vehicles. If you want to drive used, drive used. At the end of the day they all cost the same... its just a matter of how and when you can tolerate to pay it.
you cant really count tires as an extra expense. i actually think of buying car tires for my little beater as a savings. they are a lot cheaper than the 18" tires on my truck. im putting tires on my car for about a third the cost and they last as long or longer.

Its straight forward math. If you take the cost per mile to operate a truck and subtract the cost per mile to operate the little car... that difference has to pay for the little car and put cash in your pocket for it to be worth while. That is very rare in that instance. You have to be buying very expensive trucks and really cheap, like $2K, cars.

Latest posts