Electric vehicles

Help Support CattleToday:

Ours are used 99 percent of the time for fire safety while welding. Sits on the back of the truck or welding trailer.
I didn't think about using one for a fire watch. We drove an extra buggy with a 60 gallon sprayer around this week while welding braces up.

The regs and the financial cost of safety protocols are what's holding the US back in nuclear energy. Well, that and (as is somewhat evidenced by comments in this thread) .... NIMBY.
A good place to put one of the reactors I referenced would be replacing the Monticello
plant around Mount Pleasant. Infrastructure is already thee the transport the electricity.

There is talk of putting a nuclear reactor in Kemmerer Wyoming.

When you showed me the cordless portable drill press it was like taking a acholic to the liquor store. Cost me another grand lol..So I'm telling you get you a Milwaukee cordless compressor (not the inflator) and thank me later. If you really want to treat yourself get the 18volt backpack sprayer.... 💕
I think you just cost me $300 on a sprayer. I've been eyeing an inflator, when the gas compressor and the barn gives out I'll pull the trigger on the compressor. I go on tears when it comes to Milwaukee cordless stuff.

I didn't think about using one for a fire watch. We drove an extra buggy with a 60 gallon sprayer around this week while welding braces up.
That's good. I've got a 25 gallon on the welding trailer. Got a 300 gallon with a trash pump that'll really put out the water. Just not always practical. I've found the best thing is something the guys can keep right there. We use the sprayer to pre wet . Pressure water extinguishers for o shyt.. I keep a regular kitchen type extinguisher in the trucks, tractor and skids as well. We try to do the scariest stuff early in the morning and nobody leaves for a hour after the welder gets turned off.

Battery technology has quite a ways to go before it can compete with gasoline. Pound for pound, gasoline is about 1/5th of the weight of any battery that we have right now. And that factors in the differences in efficiency between ICE and electric motors.

Do they make electric vehicles with solar panels on the horizontal surfaces?

Ken
I saw a video were someone ask musk this and he said it was pretty much a waste. He said it wouldn't produce enough energy to add but a few miles of range to the car. So the interviewer ask if it would be possible with better solar technology and musk said it was a limitation of how much energy was falling on the roof of the car not how good the solar panels were. Then they started talking about solar on house roofs and how that was enough panels to do some good for charging and car. Only problem is a roof full of solar panels won't come near keeping the house cool in this 110 degree heat we are forecasted for tomorrow.

I saw a video were someone ask musk this and he said it was pretty much a waste. He said it wouldn't produce enough energy to add but a few miles of range to the car. So the interviewer ask if it would be possible with better solar technology and musk said it was a limitation of how much energy was falling on the roof of the car not how good the solar panels were. Then they started talking about solar on house roofs and how that was enough panels to do some good for charging and car. Only problem is a roof full of solar panels won't come near keeping the house cool in this 110 degree heat we are forecasted for tomorrow.
Thanks Otha. It sounds like they are looking at it as an extra expense. I would think that while driving it would only add a few extra km's to the range but with most use of cars being commuting to work and the car sitting out in the sun all day it could very well put back in what was used during the commute saving some of the load on the grid each evening when you plug in at home. It would not take much to incorporate panels in the manufacture of roof and bonnet to be very streamlined. I think they are thinking very narrowly. Just my opinion.

Ken

I certainly don't travel far enough to need charging stations. My wife puts a lot of miles (not Kenny kind of miles though) but they are not far trips. Charging at all would be all we would need.

I certainly don't travel far enough to need charging stations. My wife puts a lot of miles (not Kenny kind of miles though) but they are not far trips. Charging at all would be all we would need.
From June 10 to July 15 the truck was drove 10,000 miles.
In 8 days I ran 4365 miles.
If I have to charge every 100 miles I would quit pulling.

The problem I would see with having solar panels on top of the car would be that they rarely would be at the optimal angle to the sun. That would reduce the amount of electric produced by them. Shading would also be a problem anywhere you might encounter shading by buildings, mountains, trees or clouds.

At 15 watts per square foot of solar panel (could you get 60 square feet of solar panel on a car?) at best I think you could get 900 watts of charge in direct sunlight. I think that's very generous, but with a constant 900w of charging it would take about 160 hours of perfect charging conditions to charge a 350V 230 ah Tesla battery. Id bet under normal driving conditions you would expect triple that charge time. Not really worth the effort near as I can tell.

At 15 watts per square foot of solar panel (could you get 60 square feet of solar panel on a car?) at best I think you could get 900 watts of charge in direct sunlight. I think that's very generous, but with a constant 900w of charging it would take about 160 hours of perfect charging conditions to charge a 350V 230 ah Tesla battery. Id bet under normal driving conditions you would expect triple that charge time. Not really worth the effort near as I can tell.
The slightest turn away or shady road or cloud cuts the efficiency of panels dramatically. Just watch a solar well and check the water rates as a cloud goes over.

Batteries will be the key.

My brother has been driving hybrids for a good while now with no issues. He uses the electric charge for normal day to day driving to work and what not.

When he drives back here which is a couple hours he goes part of the way on charge and finishes on fuel.

To me, that is a practical application. Just getting people who can do that, especially in large cities, going back and forth to work would be a much more achievable goal.

Latest posts