Electric vehicles

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is another here in the states

230 mw battery farm isn't going to get it done in a heatwave. Texas power demand during our heatwave is close to 79,000 mw. If you brought that battery farm on line at 230 mw it would last less than an hour. Batteries don't generate power they store it. Once they're depleted they become a load to recharge. Like I've said, I'm not against renewables but they are not the fix all they're being hyped up to be in the media. Just my opinion.

230 mw battery farm isn't going to get it done in a heatwave. Texas power demand during our heatwave is close to 79,000 mw. If you brought that battery farm on line at 230 mw it would last less than an hour. Batteries don't generate power they store it. Once they're depleted they become a load to recharge. Like I've said, I'm not against renewables but they are not the fix all they're being hyped up to be in the media. Just my opinion.
Looks great for what it is. It's just to handle peak overloads for an hour.
It would require one ten times that size or more to cover the total capacity of a similarly sized solar farm when the sun goes down.
Watt I am trying to get across( that's a pun son) is that people want renewables but they don't understand the magnitude of real industrial sized things. We are trying to force technology to fit what we want instead of waiting until the technology makes actual economic sense.
If it made economic sense, enterprising folks would make it happen without the need for government subsidies or a totally made up carbon credits market.

Now there's a concept in the article I can get behind! Hydroelectric power production by pumping water to uphill storage using wind or solar and then producing electricity by sending the water through a turbine generator when the wind doesn't blow or the sun doesn't shine. At least it wouldn't require an open pit lithium mine to make enough batteries to store the power.

Now there's a concept in the article I can get behind! Hydroelectric power production by pumping water to uphill storage using wind or solar and then producing electricity by sending the water through a turbine generator when the wind doesn't blow or the sun doesn't shine. At least it wouldn't require an open pit lithium mine to make enough batteries to store the power.
You want to use electric pumps of fossil fuel? 😉

It is a start. We are on the way to an energy producing revolutions. I am going with it and you nay sayers can stay stuck in the past
Yes, the technology is certainly there already, just a few things around the edges to tweak a bit that being the ability to bring online rapidly energy generation from the likes of fossil fuels when battery storage is depleted. I believe in Northern Australia there are natural gas generators that can fire up and provide power rapidly when required. Most conventional power stations have to be kept running and can't respond quickly to increased demand.
People with these "GREEN" beliefs also need to get over their hangups of using fossil fuels. There are always going to be times storage is depleted and you need to tap into the grid. I only have 24 hrs of battery storage and days like today that have been very gloomy so after lunch my new 10kva 3 cylinder diesel generator gets to run for about 3 hrs to put a full charge into my batteries and at the same time boosts my solar hotwater. Puts a load of about 5000watts on the generator which is just about right.
The other thing to get sorted is the wiring in buildings to accommodate the charging of electric vehicles. I read on facebook last an electrician in Melbourne was asked to put in 3 charging stations in an apartment block and the size of the wiring was not up to scratch for the load of vehicle charging. The design wiring size of the building was already close to being maxed out just with normal occupancy.

Ken

I think the power consumption of air con and heating is a big one for them to overcome. People like creature comforts. Maybe a big block of ice might do the trick.

Ken

Latest posts