Looking for new stock trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
I have been looking around for a new stock trailer and think I have settled on a 16 ft Circle J Mustang aluminum bumper pull. Any one have one of these or know anything about them ? I started looking for a gooseneck but a hitch for my 2014 Dodge 1500 cost an arm and leg. I have a old 14ft Bergen steel trailer but it is rusted away. I have no experience with an aluminum so need some input thanks in advance.Tamarack

I have priced them out here and it needs a slider hitch as the truck box is 6 ft and with the newer Dodges they say you have to remove the box to install had 2 quotes one was 1500$ and one was 1650$ so I will go with a bumper pull as the truck already has a trailer tow package.

tamarack":2jodgbqp said:
I have priced them out here and it needs a slider hitch as the truck box is 6 ft and with the newer Dodges they say you have to remove the box to install had 2 quotes one was 1500$ and one was 1650$ so I will go with a bumper pull as the truck already has a trailer tow package.

B&W has a ball insert that extends the hitch 2" or so further to the rear. I think real ranch guys would dump Dodge if they had to remove the box to put a hitch in - just doesn't make sense. Haven't even heard of Circle J trailers, so I can't offer anything there - other than I hate aluminum trailers - clatter and bang all to hell, especially when empty.

If you're buying a new trailer, I'd get a package deal that they install the hitch on your truck as part of it!

For aluminum trailers, go with riveted before welded.. there's a reason aircraft are riveted!

I use a ball welded to a plate for my gooseneck hitch. The hitches with moving parts look like they could fail to me. I have had the same plate in the last few trucks I've owned. I consider it a llife time product.

tamarack":29loxfqx said:
I have been looking around for a new stock trailer and think I have settled on a 16 ft Circle J Mustang aluminum bumper pull. Any one have one of these or know anything about them ? I started looking for a gooseneck but a hitch for my 2014 Dodge 1500 cost an arm and leg. I have a old 14ft Bergen steel trailer but it is rusted away. I have no experience with an aluminum so need some input thanks in advance.Tamarack
You're going to pay double the money to get "aluminum" over steel yet choke on the price of a hitch?? :shock: :shock:

I bought a 16 foot ww gooseneck. Wish I had bought a 16 foot bumper pull. The 16 foot goose neck is a pain to back up. Had a 21 foot neck over years back you could thread a needle with it.

TexasBred":3qz6m1a9 said:
tamarack":3qz6m1a9 said:
You're going to pay double the money to get "aluminum" over steel yet choke on the price of a hitch?? :shock: :shock:
The price of an bumper pull aluminum trailer is 11000 and same make in steel is 9000 and a hitch for the gooseneck installed is around 1500 here and I asked a couple of dealers for a trailer with hitch installed they will sell the trailer but don't want anything to do with hitch so I wont be buying a trailer there. :shock:

Sounds like your dealer is just looking for the easy money. Have you looked on etrailer.com? I did some quick reasearch since i have been looking for the same thing for my '13 RAM. Check this out if your interested. Shipping might be more to you. Not sure. Yu do not have to remove the bed for mine. I didnt see anywhere it mentioned doing it for yours either.

http://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck/Ram/1500/2014/BWGNRK1309.html?vehicleid=201420014

I have put gooseneck hitches in 5 different trucks and haven't had to remove a bed on any of them. On a Chevy 2500 we did have to loosen the bolts and lift one side of the bed to slide in the hitch, but even that was pretty easy. Etrailer.com as mentioned above will have the full installation instructions you can look at before you buy anything so you can see what you are getting yourself into. I've bought hitches through them and through Amazon depending on who was cheaper and haven't had an issue with any of them and never was in for over $600 for any of them. They come with thorough directions that give you measurements for where you need to cut the hole in the bed floor and what needs to be moved or trimmed for the hitch underneath. If you think your hitch will be too far forward, all of the manufacturers make adapters to move the ball back a few inches and they are plenty stout for anything a half ton is going to be towing. A slider would be the way to go if you were looking at pulling an RV or 30 ft trailer but I wouldn't be attempting that with a half ton anyways.

The last one I put in was the Chevy 2500 which is my dads truck, just the two of us doing it. He's 66 years old and the two of us had everything installed in less than 2 hours without much trouble at all. No special or odd tools required other than something to cut the hole in the bed floor for the ball, a hole saw would be preferable but dad ended up doing it with a jigsaw so he didn't have to buy the hole saw. If it's costing me twice as much to have something installed, you can bet I will be laying in the driveway doing it myself.

Thanks guys , looked at site and the ones I see say" not for crew cab models" which is what mine is. I think I made up my mind and will buy a bumper pull but don't know the pro s and cons of aluminum vs steel. I owned a steel Bergan and it rusted away but some say Bergan is bad for rust.

Aluminum has it's own problems too.. for one thing if it cracks anywhere it's much harder to weld RIGHT.

On a newer truck it's really not that hard to remove the bed... a couple wiring clips and 8 bolts.. and the fuel neck.. if you have a FEL that's steady or a chain hoist it's easy peasy. Heck, are you coming down this way for a fishing trip? Whoever said it's about a 2 hour job is probably in the ball park. Give it 3 or 4 with some beer breaks!

I do like bumper pull for the fact I can carry something in the truck too. If you're driving rough roads I'd look at reinforcing the hitch though... I've seen a few crack and break off, and all that needs to be done is put a couple little gussets in to stiffen them up and remove the flex, which is what sooner or later gets them.

Latest posts