Looking for a unique breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Roadapple":3n9x7s8v said:
Check out, Lamunecacattle.com and their Simbravieh's.
Do you have a link Roadapple? my google search couldn't locate them.
BIZIN":3n9x7s8v said:
My two sense. Take a beefalo, use a 1/2 wood bison, 1/2 plains bison animal crossed with a black gelbvieh. Then use the females out of that cross and breed them with a 1/2 horned hereford, 1/2 welsh black bull. U get the disease resistance you are looking for, easy keeping, and do ability of the bison, the milk, growth, and gain of a gelbvieh, the mothering, hardiness, docility, and sheer good looks of the horned hereford, and you get the thickness, hair, docility and carcass quality from the welsh black. Its a cross I am starting to work on that I think has some real merit. Not for everybody but I think they will do for me.
Bizin, would it not be easier to use existing Beefalo strains which are established and do not have the infertility issues associated with F1 Bison/Cattle crosses?

Thank you for the link Alacowman, interesting cattle, as you noted, too long in the leg for where I am at the moment where we stock units/acre, but ideal for where I was in the bushveld where walking is critical when you stock acres/livestock unit, different horses for different courses as they say.

Andybob... I was going to go that route but couldnt find the Beefalo cross that I wanted to use. I wanted a Black Gelbvieh/Wood Bison/Plains Bison animal. Most guys have beefalo cattle that are Char/Bison or some dont even know what they are. In order for this hybrid animal to work at its best I need purebred stock on all sides. Purebred Homozygous Black Gelbvieh, Purebred Homozygous Black Welsh Black, Purebred Horned Hereford, and Pure Wood Bison, Pure Plains Bison. The bison you cant really guarantee the pureness but the cattle side I need purebred stock that are homozygous black, horned welsh blacks and horned black gelbvieh if I can find em. And free of any genetic defects that most associations are testing for.

I have been ai some of my purebred shorthorns to black gelbvieh bulls and having good luck very nice animals, also have used shorthorn and the speckled park with good success although they might have too much british in this cross for what you are looking for.

I plan on keeping the site updated and working on building a website and facebook page. Currently working on finding the right Purebred stock and bison stock to start with. I dont want to start with any animal, I want to make sure they fit into what I plan on doing and have the performance and maternal traits I need.

Heres your unique blends:

F1 Shorthorn X Brahman cows crossed with Gelbvieh bull = "Gelbrahorn" or "Bushmaster"

F1 Braunvieh X Brahman cows crossed with Charolais = "Charbravieh" or "Sunmaster"

Cheers!

(p.s.- lamuneca aren't doing those braunvieh crosses anymore, i found that out when I tried to sell em some braunvieh embryos).

I would say that the most unique breed would be the fullblood chianina crossed on any breed would super charge the offspring. I raise fullbloods and percentage chianina. We do not creep feed and only give worm and black leg shots. The chianina can handle the drought and wet weather as well as pink eye. The fullblood bull on any other breed will make for a great cross

brihop":sotvm6hm said:
Heres your unique blends:

F1 Shorthorn X Brahman cows crossed with Gelbvieh bull = "Gelbrahorn" or "Bushmaster"

F1 Braunvieh X Brahman cows crossed with Charolais = "Charbravieh" or "Sunmaster"

Cheers!

(p.s.- lamuneca aren't doing those braunvieh crosses anymore, i found that out when I tried to sell em some braunvieh embryos).

Not sure about them not doing Braunvieh crosses anymore, just bought a Simbravieh heifer from La Muneca last week, sired by Manhattan. Great looking calf and should be a great momma cow.

Holstein x Speckled Park x Wagyu
as for bloodlines Holstein: a Durham daughter [beautiful tight udders] Sire 14HO5016 H-R-S Treadway WILK
I can vouch for Wilk's exterme calving ease and high fertility.
But using a polled holstein bloodline like Lawn Boy could be a nice touch.

Speckled Park : 114xb014 P.A.R. MOO FASSA 03M semen $40 bw 75 lbs mature weight 2000 lbs
Moo Fassa sired the Grand Champion Carcass at 2006 Calgary Stampede
Speckled Park have great temperment and Moo Fassa sires well muscled calves.

Wagyu cattle is where Kobe beef comes from. I think everyone knows Kobe beef is the world's most expensive beef.
Why holstein? Wagyu are notoriously slow growing and holstein would help. But most importantly both holstein and wagyu deposit their fat reserves intermuscularly rather than the heavy external fat covering of traditional beef cattle.

For a red breed I would suggest.
A Montbeliarde x Holstein [Lawn Boy or polled red hols.] x Red Angus x Red Wagyu Sire [Umemaru]
114KB004 WSI UMEMARU semen $50
Montbeliarde calves are often larger than holsteins, so I would select holstein & Red Angus with extreme calving ease.
Southern Breeders may prefer replacing Monty x Holstein with a good tiger striped Bradford cow.
Bradford x Red Angus x Red Wagyu

And since this is a "Unique project" consider the Haymaker breed x Holstein x Wagyu and I would bet because
of the rarity of the 3 breeds Haymaker x Speckle Park x Wagyu has to be as Unique as it comes.