looking at land in nevada, how many cow per acre

Help Support CattleToday:

bkgs

Reaction score
How many cows can graze per acre in the high desert (some brush, some weeds if not familiar with the high desert) like in nevada without having to rotate and damage the land.

I am looking at land in nevada and want to figure out how much land I need as compared to regular grassland.

I am familiar with cow's grazing on regular grass, grassland.
How many cow can you put on regular grassland without having to rotate and without damaging the land.
(Maybe I should know the answer to this question)

I know its how how much the cows eat and what's on the land but I am looking for a rough estimate per acre.

I have a call into the agricultural extention office in Nevada.

Typically the high desert is only really grazeable for a couple of months a year. The area we were in was 300 acres per pair and that was only about 3-4 months a year.

bkgs":3qqdn84m said:
How many cows can graze per acre in the high desert (some brush, some weeds if not familiar with the high desert) like in nevada without having to rotate and damage the land.

I am looking at land in nevada and want to figure out how much land I need as compared to regular grassland.

I am familiar with cow's grazing on regular grass, grassland.
How many cow can you put on regular grassland without having to rotate and without damaging the land.
(Maybe I should know the answer to this question)

I know its how how much the cows eat and what's on the land but I am looking for a rough estimate per acre.

I have a call into the agricultural extention office in Nevada.

The acres per cow for Nevada could vary greatly but you better figure around 100 acres per cow for year round grazing. If you use BLM they will force you to rotate pastures and usually have a period each year when you have to leave BLM and feed or use deeded pasture. The year round places are more rare and are at the high end of the acres per cow chart. If it doesn't get a winter snow cover then it is usually very dry and has very sparse forage.

A great deal of the winter grazing on the high desert is more of foraging from bushes than grass. Cows have to be taught to eat bushes but they are some of the very finest winter feed if they are of the right kind.

Latest posts